Palestine Public Library - 1,134 Matching Results

Search Results

[501 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the south side of a two-story house located at 501 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The house is brick on the first floor with wooden siding on the front and upper floor, painted light brown or beige with dark brown shutters.
Date: unknown
Location Info:

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "A.R. Howard House," a two-story, Victorian Italianate-style house located at 619 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. The house is behind a red-brick fence with metal ornamentation.
Date: unknown
Location Info:

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the "William and Caroline Broyles House" outside the front entrance. Text: A native of Huntsville, Alabama, William Broyles came to Texas following the Civil War. Traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, he continued his journey to Texas on foot, finally settling in Palestine. Broyles worked as a carpenter and later opened a mercantile store near the Anderson County courthouse. Following the arrival of the railroad and the subsequent relocation of the town, he opened the first store in the new townsite. In 1878 he established a lumber business which eventually included a lumberyard, saw mill, and cabinet shop. A real estate investor as well as merchant, Broyles played an important role in the economic development of Palestine. He had this home built for his wife, Caroline, in 1895. Designed by local architect Luther McKlemurry, the home is a fine example of 19th-century eclecticism, exhibiting influences of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire styles. Outstanding features include its tower, roof cresting, and fine milled woodwork crafted by workers at Broyles' lumber company. Landscaping originally surrounding the home included elaborate flower gardens and an adjacent pecan orchard.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence, including square columns along the front porch. A green flag is partially visible to the right of the front walk.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house.
Date: 1960~
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of an anchor in the front yard of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence, including square columns along the front porch.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[Kolstad Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a sidewalk cover over the store windows. The name "Kolstad" is above the entrance. Several unidentified people are standing on the corner and cars are parked outside the store; part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a striped awning over the sidewalk with the text "Texas' Oldest Store" above the entrance. Signs above the awning say "Thomas C. Smith, Proprietor," "Kolstad," and "George Handson: Jeweler, Calligrapher, Clock Repair" on the front of the store and "Kolstad [...] Texas' Oldest Store" on the side. A part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1990~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Postcard of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, red-brick building with white stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. The words "Court House, Palestine, Texas" are written in the upper-left corner.
Date: unknown

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Copy print of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. A gazebo is visible on the grounds, to the right, and several unidentified people are standing near one corner of the building. The words "Court House, Palestine, Texas" are written across the top of the image.
Date: [1885..1916]

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of N. Church and E. Crawford streets. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
Date: 1960~
Location Info:

[313 - 315 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, brick, commercial building located at 313-315 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has masonry embellishments along the parapet and stucco finish, as well as a sidewalk cover on the first floor. There is an A.A. (Al-Anon) sign over the front door and parts of adjoining buildings are visible on either side.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[317 - 319 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story commercial building located at 317-319 W. Main in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of W. Main and N. Queen streets. The building is painted white and has masonry accents along the roofline. The storefronts in this building have signs for two businesses including a "Tailor Shop & Mens' Wear" and "Deluxe Cleaners." Part of the adjoining brick building is visible on the right, and a taller brick building is visible in the background.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[100 E. Brazos - Lamar School]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of Lamar School, located at 100 E. Brazos in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building with a tile roof.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[502 N. Perry]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a small, red-brick building at the corner of Perry and Crawford streets in Palestine, Texas.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[109 E. Spring]

Description: Photograph of a red-brick building located at 109 E. Spring in Palestine, Texas. The windows have logos for Toledo Finance and a sign over the door says "Toledo Loans." On the left of the building, an alley with a fire escape and part of a white stone building are visible.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[117 W. Spring]

Description: Photograph of a brick building located at 117 W. Spring in Palestine, Texas. A street sign and several decorative shrubs are visible to the left.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Magnolia and Reagan streets. The two-story church is made of red brick with white stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. There are Christmas wreaths decorating the front doors.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The two-story church is made of red brick with white stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. To the left of the building, there is a stone wall with arches that match the building's windows, and a decorative wooden gate.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

Description: Copy negative of the front and south side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Magnolia and Reagan streets. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. Many of the windows are open.
Date: 1920~
Location Info:

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.
Date: 1930~

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: 1875~

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info: