Palestine Public Library - 603 Matching Results

Search Results

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Copy print of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. A gazebo is visible on the grounds, to the right, and several unidentified people are standing near one corner of the building. The words "Court House, Palestine, Texas" are written across the top of the image.
Date: [1885..1916]

[313 - 315 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, brick, commercial building located at 313-315 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has masonry embellishments along the parapet and stucco finish, as well as a sidewalk cover on the first floor. There is an A.A. (Al-Anon) sign over the front door and parts of adjoining buildings are visible on either side.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[317 - 319 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story commercial building located at 317-319 W. Main in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of W. Main and N. Queen streets. The building is painted white and has masonry accents along the roofline. The storefronts in this building have signs for two businesses including a "Tailor Shop & Mens' Wear" and "Deluxe Cleaners." Part of the adjoining brick building is visible on the right, and a taller brick building is visible in the background.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[109 E. Spring]

Description: Photograph of a red-brick building located at 109 E. Spring in Palestine, Texas. The windows have logos for Toledo Finance and a sign over the door says "Toledo Loans." On the left of the building, an alley with a fire escape and part of a white stone building are visible.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Magnolia and Reagan streets. The two-story church is made of red brick with white stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. There are Christmas wreaths decorating the front doors.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The two-story church is made of red brick with white stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. To the left of the building, there is a stone wall with arches that match the building's windows, and a decorative wooden gate.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[201 E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a multi-story brick building located at 201 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. The entrance on the corner has a glass door with an name on it and several full-length glass window; stonework text at the top of the building says "Ivanhoe No. 15. KofP." As per the 1898-1899 Palestine City Directory, this was the home of the Knights of Pythias.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[100 Block E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of a three-story brick building located at the corner of Oak and Houston streets, in the 100 block of E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. The first floor has a glass storefront and the sign above says "Goodwill Industries."
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[201 E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a multi-story brick building located at 201 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. The entrance on the corner has a glass door with an name on it and several full-length glass window; stonework text at the top of the building says "Ivanhoe No. 15. KofP." As per the 1898-1899 Palestine City Directory, this was the home of the Knights of Pythias. A sign for a neighboring building that says "Goodwill Industries of East Texas" is visible on the far left.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[Anthony J. Fraimo and Jack Cates Ferguson in Car]

Description: (back of photo) Anthony J. Fraimo - 830 Tintoraline - The Bronx, NYC - Law Office at 614 St. Anns Ave - The Bronx, NYC and Midshipman Jack Cates Ferguson - U.S. Navy - Son of Ben Ferguson's brother Reagan Ferguson in Washington, D.C. 1930-32. The photo captions says: "Tony, Jack, My Ford." Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. The car is parked behind the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.
Date: [1930,1932]

[Nathanial W. Blackshear at reins of a wagon]

Description: Photo of Nathanial W. Blackshear driving a buggy with an unidentified man sitting next to him and another unidentified man standing beside the horse. On the back of the photograph is the following: "In this 'gig' he eloped with "Mamie" Rollins, my mother. on Midnight May 18, 1892 - married at 3 a.m. May 19, 1892 by Presbyterian Minister Dr. Crozier, Palestine Tex. with Zula Quark(?) as bridesmaid and in Zula's clothing, because her mother had taken away her clothing and locked her in her room. So Mamie got out of her window in her night gown wrapped in the counterpayne"
Date: 1900~

[Diana and David Mantor]

Description: (back of photo) Diana and David Mantor of Corpus Christi, Tex. Ready for the High School "great ball". Children of Betsy Blackshear (Mrs. Philip Mantor) Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1950~

[Company A, 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate States Army]

Description: This group does not contain the entire membership of the Company, which is much regretted, but only those whose pictures could be obtained thirty years after the war. The Company was raised by Captain Peter Hardeman about the middle of April, 1861, in the Counties of Houston, Anderson, Cherokee and Nacogdoches, calling for twenty-five men from each of the Counties, and marched immediately to San Antonio, where the regiment was organized and mustered into the State service on May 17th, 1861. In a few days after this, this Company, with a part of the regiment, started on the expedition to Arizona and New Mexico, and returned to San Antonio in the summer of 1862, when the regiment, being again brought together, was reorganized and served until the close of the war in Texas and Louisiana and was disbanded in June 1865. This company being among the first troops called for, was composed mainly of boys and young men, with a few middle-aged men, several of the boys being only fifteen years old. All were good, true, noble and loyal soldiers from the rise to the fall of the Confederacy - J. C. J. King - Captain, Co. A., 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate Veterans
Date: 1895~

[Mary Kate Hunter]

Description: Born just outside Palestine in 1866 to Nathaniel and Jennie (Beeson) Hunter, Mary Kate Hunter played a significant role in recording, promoting and preserving the history of Palestine and Anderson County. Educated at Palestine Female Academy and Sam Houston Normal Institute, she studied piano with classical musicians across the United States and in Germany, and taught piano to countless Palestine children. As a clubwoman, she was a charter member of the self-culture club in Palestine, organized in 1894; served as a delegate to the First Annual Meeting of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1898; organized a local chapter of the Women’s National Foundation in 1921 for the preservation and study of local history; and founded and led the Fort Houston Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. A supporter of voting rights for women, Mary Kate Hunter organized and was first President of the Palestine Equal Suffrage Association, and held statewide office in the Texas Equal Suffrage Association in 1915-16. In Addition to her civic Duties, Hunter also was a published poet, Editor of a local society journal and board member of the Texas State Library. She extensively researched the History of Palestine and Anderson County and conducted dozens of oral history interviews with early area residents. At her death in 1945, she bequeathed her voluminous collection of material to the Palestine Public Library, where it remains in use as an important record of Anderson County History.
Date: 1930~