Palestine Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 47 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of a two-story building complex at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas. There is a two-story wrap-around porch on the corner; the suites on the left side of the building have entrances only on the first floor. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. There are people standing in the street and around the entrances.
Description: Photo of the side of firehouse #1 that housed the Palestine Fire Department, the home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Description: Photo of a letter written on letterhead from the International Hotel, which was once located on Spring Street in Palestine. This hotel later became the O'Neill Hotel.
Date: August 21, 1881
Description: Colonel George Robert Howard was born on June 6, 1818. He married Cornelia Cox and they came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. Their home, now referred to as “The Howard House” by local residents, is located at 1101 N. Perry Street. It was built in 1851 on land deeded to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves on August 17, 1850. He died on December 28, 1900 and is buried in the Old section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Description: Copy print of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. A gazebo is visible on the grounds, to the right, and several unidentified people are standing near one corner of the building. The words "Court House, Palestine, Texas" are written across the top of the image.
Description: Ad, which was in the Palestine Daily Herald for Silliman Hardware and Grocery Company, a business in Palestine which was founded in 1871. It was one of the largest hardware stores in the region toward the end of the 19th century. Proprietor was John H. Silliman and he and his family resided at 638 S. Magnolia.
Description: The International and Great Northern Railroad Immigrants Home, which was located on North Sycamore, just north of the I&GN Tracks. Built to give people moving to this part of Texas a place to live until their house was built. A play on the part of the railroad to encourage settlers to immigrate to Texas right after the railroad was built in the late 1880's and early 1890's.
Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.