Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Bowers Mansion - 301 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:

[John Randolph Hearne]

Description: John Randolph Hearne, son of Texas pioneers Columbus Calamicus Hearne and wife Mary Ellen Gilmer, was born July 15, 1854 in Wheelock, Robinson County, TX. Educated in the schools of his native county, he later attended Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA. He returned to Texas in 1871, soon thereafter moving to Palestine, first engaging in the drug business which he followed for many years. Later he sold this business and moved to Dallas, becoming a very successful businessman. The first electric lights in Dallas were installed in his business downtown. Mr. Hearne later sold this business and moved back to Palestine where he was engaged in the hardware business, and at the time of his death was head of the Palestine Hardware Co. Mr. Hearne invested quite extensively in real estate in Palestine. A prominent businessman, he was instrumental in helping to organize the Palestine National Bank, which later merged with one of the existing banks and he was elected Vice-President of this bank. He was President of the Palestine Board of Trade, and also President of the Royall National Bank. He was Mayor of Palestine from 1907 to 1909 and during his administration Oak Street and Avenue A were the first streets to be paved. Mr. Hearne was described as a man of unselfish interest in public affairs. John Randolph Hearne was married to Miss Emma Sophronia Howard, daughter of Col. And Mrs. George Robert Howard, and to this union three children were born. He died at his home at 503 Hodges Street on February 10, 1930 and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1907

[Daughters of the Confederacy]

Description: This picture was made at a state convention of the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy at Corsicana Texas, 1900. The flag in the process of being folded is of unknown origin. It was returned from New Orleans with the effects of Col. William Lull and was supposed, from its single star, to have belonged to Texas. It's description: Gray field, red star, gray and blue stripes, heavy red fringe entirely surrounding it.
Date: 1900

[John H. Reagan]

Description: John H. Reagan served in many political roles during his lifetime, including: Probate Judge in Henderson County Texas from 1846 - 1847, Representative in the Texas Legislature from 1847-1848, District Judge in Texas from 1852-1857, U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1857-1861, Representative from the Texas Provisional Congress Confederate States of America in 1861, Postmaster General of the Confederacy from 1861-1865, Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy in 1865, Delegate to the Convention Framing the Constitution of Texas in 1874-75, once again as U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1875-1887, Senator from Texas in the U.S. Congress from 1887-1891, and last but not least, Chairman of the Railroad Commission in Texas from 1891-1902. He was also among the original commissioners that organized the Texas State Historical Association. He died in March 1905 in Anderson County Texas and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery. The certificate is one of the certificates he issued while serving as Postmaster General of the Confederacy. It assigns John Caudle as Postmaster of the Union Mills Post Office, located in Havanna County, Virginia.
Date: 1900~

[John H. Reagan]

Description: John H. Reagan served in many political roles during his lifetime, including: Probate Judge in Henderson County Texas from 1846 - 1847, Representative in the Texas Legislature from 1847-1848, District Judge in Texas from 1852-1857, U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1857-1861, Representative from the Texas Provisional Congress Confederate States of America in 1861, Postmaster General of the Confederacy from 1861-1865, Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy in 1865, Delegate to the Convention Framing the Constitution of Texas in 1874-75, once again as U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1875-1887, Senator from Texas in the U.S. Congress from 1887-1891, and last but not least, Chairman of the Railroad Commission in Texas from 1891-1902. He was also among the original commissioners that organized the Texas State Historical Association. He died in March 1905 in Anderson County Texas and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery. The certificate is one of the certificates he issued while serving as Postmaster General of the Confederacy. It assigns John Caudle as Postmaster of the Union Mills Post Office, located in Havanna County, Virginia.
Date: 1900~

[Nathanial W. Blackshear at reins of a wagon]

Description: Photo of Nathanial W. Blackshear driving a buggy with an unidentified man sitting next to him and another unidentified man standing beside the horse. On the back of the photograph is the following: "In this 'gig' he eloped with "Mamie" Rollins, my mother. on Midnight May 18, 1892 - married at 3 a.m. May 19, 1892 by Presbyterian Minister Dr. Crozier, Palestine Tex. with Zula Quark(?) as bridesmaid and in Zula's clothing, because her mother had taken away her clothing and locked her in her room. So Mamie got out of her window in her night gown wrapped in the counterpayne"
Date: 1900~

[Anderson County Jail]

Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Date: 1900~