Palestine Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 37 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Charles Wesley Blackshear (in dark trousers) and others on porch of St. Paul's Church - Freeport, TX. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Description: Stephen E. Reed served as Mayor of Palestine from 1931 until his death in November 1934 and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery. Palestine's first airport, a 265 acre site located seven miles west of Palestine, was named for him. He was married to Mabel Gooch Reed, a daughter of John Young Gooch, in March 1900. The Reeds lived at 501 S. Magnolia for many years.
Description: A native of Anderson County, John Henry Handorf was born on September 9, 1887, a son of John and Melissa (Milton) Handorf. He was educated in the public schools of Anderson County and after leaving school he came to Palestine and married Miss Dora Martin, the daughter of Walter and Alice Martin, on April 13, 1913. Over the next several years he worked at several companies, including a year for the I&GN Railroad, and then he went to work as foreman for the Palestine Water Works. He climbed their ranks and in 1917 was made superintendent of the plant, a position he held until 1933, when he was elected a member of the board of commissioners for the City of Palestine. After the death of Mayor Steven E. Reed in November 1934, Mr. Handorf stepped in and served out his term. He was re-elected as Mayor without opposition and served until 1939. He died on July 14, 1939 and is buried in the New Addition Annex section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.
Description: Copy negative of the front of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, located at 106 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas, taken from W Crawford Street. It is a brick building that has windows with pointed arches. There is a taller, square tower on the northwest corner of the building. Other buildings are partially visible on the right side of the building and automobiles are parked along the streets. Text at the bottom of the photo says "Episcopal Church, Palestine, Tex."
Description: Copy negative of storefronts on Spring Street in Palestine, Texas. There are two connected brick buildings, two stories on the left and four stories on the right; they have some brick embellishments around the windows. The first building appears to have two storefronts that have a sidewalk cover across the front and a barber's pole on the left corner as well as the words "Bus Station" on one window. To the right, a store labeled "O'Neill Drug Store" is in the larger building, and a roof with a second-story balcony is visible on the far right, over another entrance. There are cars parked along the street and several people visible outside the buildings.