Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and ...
Date: 1950~

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into the 1950's. On the first Sunday of each September, a large homecoming of descendants of the early Brushy Creek families is held at the arbor. A program, business meeting, and meal are part of the agenda, plus a guest speaker and recognition of families. the annual homecoming is a popular, well-attended event. Many descendants still live in the county.
Date: c. 1950

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[Ann and Peter]

Description: (back of photo) Ann and Peter July 8, 1951 - With the car I gave him - Austin, TX. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: July 8, 1951

[Burning of the Railroad YMCA]

Description: Burning of the Railroad YMCA. The Railroad YMCA opened in April of 1903 and continued as the YMCA until the building burned in the mid 1950's. The building faced South Magnolia and was on the lot in front of the present Railroad General Office Building.
Date: c. 1955

[Carrie Carroll Blackshear holding Sally Blackshear]

Description: Carrie Carroll Blackshear (Mrs. R.K. Blackshear, Sr.) holding her granddaughter, Sally Blackshear. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1956

[Christmas Card from the Hickses]

Description: Best Wishes from Gina, Bill, Ken, Bob, Johnny - The Hickses - 1951 - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1951

[Christmas Card with Photo of Mark and Gary Howell]

Description: Photo Christmas Card from Jeannine, Courtney, Mark and Gary Howell - (back of card) Christmas 1955, Mark age 3 years 4 months, Gary age 1 year 3 months. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: December 1955

[Craig Morris and Alf Morris Jr. at Waco, Texas]

Description: (back of photo) Alf (right) Fall 1956 at Waco, Texas. The other (left) is Craig (M.D.) his brother. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1956

[Diana and David Mantor]

Description: (back of photo) Diana and David Mantor of Corpus Christi, Tex. Ready for the High School "great ball". Children of Betsy Blackshear (Mrs. Philip Mantor) Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: c. 1950