Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Description: Copy negative of the front of a two-story house located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. There are people on the porch and in the front yard.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Anderson County Jail]

Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Date: C. 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[Bowers Mansion - 301 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Centenary Methodist Church - Palestine]

Description: The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church. This photo was taken when the windows could be swiveled open to catch air during the warm months of the year.
Date: c. 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[Centenary Methodist Church - Palestine Texas]

Description: This is a picture of the first Centenary Methodist Church. It was built around 1884 and was in use until sometime around 1910, when a new building was constructed at 422 S. Magnolia. This negative was scanned backward.
Date: C. 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[Derden House - Bethel Texas]

Description: Photo of the Derden house, which was located on US 287 North towards the community of Bethel. This house is no longer there. The Gus Engling Wildlife Preserve is where it once stood.
Date: c. 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[Dilley house, located on South Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the Dilley house located on S. Sycamore. This photo was taken before an addition to the home was constructed. When a later addition was made, the local newspaper stated that he had "Gilded the Lily."
Date: c. 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[H.R. Turbyfill]

Description: This photo is probably H.R. Turbyfill, who was proprietor of "The Village Smithy". This business is now called Turbyfill's Machine Shop and is still in Palestine. It is run by descendants of Mr. Turbyfill.
Date: c. 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[Hodges Dry Goods Company]

Description: The Hodges Dry Goods Company was established in 1885 and the building on Oak Street was built in 1892 by A.B. and D.M. Hodges. The building was 50 by 100 feet. At the corner of Oak and N. Magonlia and it was the first business establishment on Oak Street.
Date: c. 1900
Item Type: Photograph