Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Ad for Silliman Hardware & Grocery Co.]

Description: Ad, which was in the Palestine Daily Herald for Silliman Hardware and Grocery Company, a business in Palestine which was founded in 1871. It was one of the largest hardware stores in the region toward the end of the 19th century. Proprietor was John H. Silliman and he and his family resided at 638 S. Magnolia.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph

[Dilley Rifle Company]

Description: Photo of the Dilley rifles in formation during what appears to be some kind of a parade up Avenue A in Palestine. Photo is taken looking toward the east. Note the tower from the jail in the background.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph

[Engraving of the International Hotel - Palestine]

Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph

[I&GN Railroad Immigrants Home]

Description: The International and Great Northern Railroad Immigrants Home, which was located on North Sycamore, just north of the I&GN Tracks. Built to give people moving to this part of Texas a place to live until their house was built. A play on the part of the railroad to encourage settlers to immigrate to Texas right after the railroad was built in the late 1880's and early 1890's.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring and N. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the building at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring Str & N. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of a two-story building complex at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas. There is a two-story wrap-around porch on the corner; the suites on the left side of the building have entrances only on the first floor. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. There are people standing in the street and around the entrances.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company. They were apparently getting ready to be in some sort of parade as there is a float in the background.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph