Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is a light-colored, one-story building with a front porch in the center of the building. In the foreground, the front lawn contains a number of large trees.
Date: 1930~
Location Info:

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.
Date: 1930~

[Albert W. Tailor of Oklahoma]

Description: Albert W. Tailor of Oklahoma taken in 1934 at age 22 - His father was evidentially a doctor. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1934

[Anthony J. Fraimo and Jack Cates Ferguson in Car]

Description: (back of photo) Anthony J. Fraimo - 830 Tintoraline - The Bronx, NYC - Law Office at 614 St. Anns Ave - The Bronx, NYC and Midshipman Jack Cates Ferguson - U.S. Navy - Son of Ben Ferguson's brother Reagan Ferguson in Washington, D.C. 1930-32. The photo captions says: "Tony, Jack, My Ford." Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. The car is parked behind the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.
Date: [1930,1932]

[Avenue A - Palestine]

Description: Photo of Aveune A from what appears to be the top of courthouse looking west.
Date: 1930~

[Charles W. Blackshear]

Description: Charles W. Blackshear - Freeport Beach - Age 21 - on visit to William S. Blackshear - April 1934 - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: April 1934

[Edie Trotter]

Description: Photo of Edie Trotter, the wife of Ira Trotter. This photo was included in the Pells-Trotter collection of photos and memorabilia which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1930~

[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

Description: Copy negative of storefronts on Spring Street in Palestine, Texas. There are two connected brick buildings, two stories on the left and four stories on the right; they have some brick embellishments around the windows. The first building appears to have two storefronts that have a sidewalk cover across the front and a barber's pole on the left corner as well as the words "Bus Station" on one window. To the right, a store labeled "O'Neill Drug Store" is in the larger building, and a roof with a second-story balcony is visible on the far right, over another entrance. There are cars parked along the street and several people visible outside the buildings.
Date: 1930~

[Inside of a Church in Angleton, Tx.]

Description: (back of photo) Inside one of my missions - Angleton, TX. - Easter 1934. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: April 1934

[Jane Pells Trotter]

Description: Photograph of Jane Pells Trotter. This photo was included in the Pells-Trotter collection of photos and memorabilia which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1930~

[John Henry Handorf]

Description: A native of Anderson County, John Henry Handorf was born on September 9, 1887, a son of John and Melissa (Milton) Handorf. He was educated in the public schools of Anderson County and after leaving school he came to Palestine and married Miss Dora Martin, the daughter of Walter and Alice Martin, on April 13, 1913. Over the next several years he worked at several companies, including a year for the I&GN Railroad, and then he went to work as foreman for the Palestine Water Works. He climbed their ranks and in 1917 was made superintendent of the plant, a position he held until 1933, when he was elected a member of the board of commissioners for the City of Palestine. After the death of Mayor Steven E. Reed in November 1934, Mr. Handorf stepped in and served out his term. He was re-elected as Mayor without opposition and served until 1939. He died on July 14, 1939 and is buried in the New Addition Annex section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1935

[Mary Kate Hunter]

Description: Born just outside Palestine in 1866 to Nathaniel and Jennie (Beeson) Hunter, Mary Kate Hunter played a significant role in recording, promoting and preserving the history of Palestine and Anderson County. Educated at Palestine Female Academy and Sam Houston Normal Institute, she studied piano with classical musicians across the United States and in Germany, and taught piano to countless Palestine children. As a clubwoman, she was a charter member of the self-culture club in Palestine, organized in 1894; served as a delegate to the First Annual Meeting of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1898; organized a local chapter of the Women’s National Foundation in 1921 for the preservation and study of local history; and founded and led the Fort Houston Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. A supporter of voting rights for women, Mary Kate Hunter organized and was first President of the Palestine Equal Suffrage Association, and held statewide office in the Texas Equal Suffrage Association in 1915-16. In Addition to her civic Duties, Hunter also was a published poet, Editor of a local society journal and board member of the Texas State Library. She extensively researched the History of Palestine and Anderson County and conducted dozens of oral history interviews with early area residents. At her death in 1945, she bequeathed her voluminous collection of material to the Palestine Public Library, where it remains in use as an important record of Anderson County History.
Date: 1930~

[McKnight Plaza - Palestine]

Description: Photo of McKnight Plaza taken during the 1930s. This business district was the primary area for businesses owned and operated by African-Americans in Palestine, and was located in the 100 block of Avenue A, on the south side of the street next to what is now United Realty (the former First National Bank Building). The building was demolished in 1945.
Date: 1930~

[Men on porch of St. Paul's Church - Freeport, Tx.]

Description: Charles Wesley Blackshear (in dark trousers) and others on porch of St. Paul's Church - Freeport, TX. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1934

[Meredith Howell]

Description: (Back of Photo) Meredith Howell at high school age. Escondido, California. Brought him to University of Texas where he got a Football Scholarship 1936-37. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: [1936..1937]
Creator: Havens

[Peg and Buddy McLaughlin - Jones Beach]

Description: (back of photo) Peg and Buddy - Taken at Jones Beach - Both felt very silly when this was taken. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1935

[R. H. McLeod]

Description: R. H. McLeod served as Mayor of Palestine from 1937 until 1947.
Date: 1939

[St Paul's Church - Freeport, Tx.]

Description: Two unidentified men standing on the steps of St. Paul's Church in Freeport, Tx. 1934. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1934