Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[900 Block N. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the 900 block of North Sycamore street in Palestine, Texas, taken from the intersection of Kolstad and N. Sycamore streets, facing north. The address for the large white house (on the left side of the picture) is 901 N. Sycamore and the one next to it is 911 S. Sycamore.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[800 Block N. Fowler]

Description: This photo was taken fro the intersection of E. Kolstad and Fowler streets in the northern section of Palestine. The camera is looking north up Fowler street. The address of the houses shown are (from left to right) 115 E. Kolstad, 805 N. Fowler and 807 N. Fowler.
Date: February 1989
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. This photo was taken from the street, looking up the front walk toward the house; the front yard is open and there are planters near the start and end of the front walk as well as large trees on either side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story brick building located at 301 W. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival features; the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. There are two sets of stairs leading to the front entrance and the sign over the doors says "Grace United Methodist Church."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[1101 N. Cedar - Alamo School]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Palestine Public Library (previously the Alamo School), a two-story brick building located at 1101 N. Cedar in Palestine, Texas. There are brick accents around the windows and some other points. Several cars are parked in the parking lot and part of a second building is partially visible on the left.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

Description: In its present configuration, the McClure-McReynolds-fowler House has a U-shaped plan; however, it originally was a center-passage dwelling similar to the George & Cornelia Howard House at 1101 N. Perry. Additions during the late 19th century changed the overall appearance and reflect the property’s architectural evolution. The house retains its historic character and integrity and is among the most significant examples of vernacular architecture in the city. Tennessee-native Judge Alexander Ewing McClure (1815-1870) built this house in 1849. After arriving in Texas in 1840 and residing for several years in Fort Houston, Judge McClure moved to Palestine, becoming the first district clerk for Anderson County, co-owner of the “Trinity Advocate” (the region’s first newspaper), and one of the area’s most prominent lawyers. Zachariah Aycock McReynolds (1846-1928), a native of Georgia and a Confederate veteran, purchased the house in 1884. He held several local elected offices during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector, and postmaster. He remodeled this house around 1890, reusing the original timber. In 1934 Colonel Godfrey Rees Fowler (1876-1958) retired to this house with his wife, Ella Sue McReynolds (Z.A. McReynold’s daughter). A grandson of John H. Reagan, Fowler’s military career included action during the Spanish-American war and World War I. The house is currently serving as a Bed and Breakfast called the Dogwood Inn.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. Scaffolding is visible around the front and side as part of renovations.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[1005 N. Queen - P.A. Kolstad House]

Description: This 2-story frame dwelling is indicative of the kind of house many of Palestine’s more affluent families built during the late 19th century. Stylistically, the house is a hybrid of Italianate and Queen Anne styles, both of which were popular in Palestine during the Victorian area. The pedimented architraves above the windows and the bracketed eaves reflect an influence of the Italianate style, while the turned woodwork of the porch is usually associated with Queen Anne architecture. The original owners of this house were Peter Andrew Kolstad (1856-1922) and his wife Mollie Groth Kolstad (1860-1945), member of one of Palestine’s most prominent early families. Mr. Kolstad was the son of Soren and Ingeborg Kolstad, Norwegian immigrants who settled in Texas around 1853. This house was probably built in the early 1880’s. P.A. Kolstad and his wife lived here together until his death in 1922. Mollie Kolstad continued to live in the house until her own death in the mid-1940’s.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[925 N. Sycamore - McKenna House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a one-story, L-plan house located at 925 N. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style details including a tower at the southeast corner of the front porch.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[922 N. Link - Joost Ozment House]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the "Joose-Ozment House," a white, two-story frame house located at 922 N. Link in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Pine and Link streeets. It has a balanced, orderly exterior with a classical façade, including round columns along the front porch and larger two-story columns on either side of the front door.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[839 N. Tennessee]

Description: Photograph of a one-story, white, L-plan frame house located at 839 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. It has a large bay window on the left side of the house and Queen Ann-style embellishments along the roofline and the porch.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[315 E. Kolstad - Greenwood House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Greenwood House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 315 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is partially obscured by trees in the front yard.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[200 Block S. Magnolia]

Description: This photo was taken from the west side of S. Magnolia Street, just south of the railroad tracks, with the camera facing north. The houses are (from right to left) 216 S. Magnolia, 212 S. Magnolia, 208 S. Magnolia (Verda's Flower Shop) and 204 S. Magnolia.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[700 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the 700 Block of S. Sycamore from the intersection of S. Sycamore Street and Neches Streets, looking toward the north. The houses in the picture are (from left to right) 717 S. Sycamore and 713 S. Sycamore.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[400 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: This picture was taken while standing at the intersection of Dallas and S. Sycamore streets, looking northeast at the houses on S. Sycamore street. The houses are (from left to right) 408 S. Sycamore, 412 S. Sycamore, 416 S. Sycamore and the last house on the right is no longer there. I do not know what the address of that house was.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph

[111 Angelina - Pentecom LLC]

Description: Located at the northwest corner of Angelina and Royall streets, it was at one time the Medical Center Pharmacy. As of August 2006, the building houses the offices of Pentecom LLC.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the northeast corner of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info: