Palestine Public Library - 652 Matching Results

Search Results

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Date: 1885~

[Anderson County Jail]

Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Date: 1900~

[Engraving of the International Hotel - Palestine]

Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.
Date: 1880~

[A. Joost - Cheap Cash Store - 601 E Lacy]

Description: This is a photograph of the first building constructed on the courthouse square. It was located where number 601 East Lacy is now located, but it extended over approximately halfway into the lot of the current number 603. This was Alexander Joost's store, known after the Civil War as the "Cheap Cash Store". Joost was an immigrant from France who had an earlier store at Fort Houston. As soon as the site was located for the county seat of the new Anderson County, he bought land there and prepared to moved. He rebuilt after the 1874 fire and again after the 1879 fire. Most of the conflagrations that were destroying entire blocks of the city of Palestine in the 1870s and 1880s were set by an incendiary who was eluding the police. Even though numerous merchants in New Town and Old Town suffered from these fires, Joost took them personally, especially when rumors were spread around town that he was having difficulty maintaining a good stock of merchandise. To combat this, he took out an ad in the Trinity Advocate to let his customers know he was still offering the best merchandise at the best prices. However, when his store was burned to the ground in a third disaster on December 5, 1882, he decided to retire from business and return to France for a visit. He did not rebuild, and the site remained vacant for over thiry years, except for a brief period in the 1890s, when a temporary tentlike structure was put up for the Sam Jones Tabernacle.
Date: 1875~

[John H. Reagan]

Description: John H. Reagan served in many political roles during his lifetime, including: Probate Judge in Henderson County Texas from 1846 - 1847, Representative in the Texas Legislature from 1847-1848, District Judge in Texas from 1852-1857, U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1857-1861, Representative from the Texas Provisional Congress Confederate States of America in 1861, Postmaster General of the Confederacy from 1861-1865, Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy in 1865, Delegate to the Convention Framing the Constitution of Texas in 1874-75, once again as U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1875-1887, Senator from Texas in the U.S. Congress from 1887-1891, and last but not least, Chairman of the Railroad Commission in Texas from 1891-1902. He was also among the original commissioners that organized the Texas State Historical Association. He died in March 1905 in Anderson County Texas and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery. The certificate is one of the certificates he issued while serving as Postmaster General of the Confederacy. It assigns John Caudle as Postmaster of the Union Mills Post Office, located in Havanna County, Virginia.
Date: 1900~