Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[400 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: This picture was taken while standing at the intersection of Dallas and S. Sycamore streets, looking northeast at the houses on S. Sycamore street. The houses are (from left to right) 408 S. Sycamore, 412 S. Sycamore, 416 S. Sycamore and the last house on the right is no longer there. I do not know what the address of that house was.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David

[111 Angelina - Pentecom LLC]

Description: Located at the northwest corner of Angelina and Royall streets, it was at one time the Medical Center Pharmacy. As of August 2006, the building houses the offices of Pentecom LLC.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the northeast corner of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[601 S. Sycamore - Maier House]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the "Maier House," a two-story house with brick veneer, located at 601 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Spanish Colonial Revival-style architectural details.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

Description: Photograph of the front (east side) of the "George Edward Dilley House" located at 805 S. Sycamore, in Palesine, Texas. The house is two stories and has a wrap-around porch with decorative woodwork, as well as a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. The yard is enclosed by a decorative metal fence.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[814 S. Sycamore - Pennybacker Campbell House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. To the left of the building, there is a stone wall with arches that match the building's windows, and a decorative wooden gate.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[919 S. Magnolia - I&GN Railroad Hospital]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the International & Great Northern (I&GN) Railroad Hospital located at 919 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story, metal-framed, brick-faced hospital along with an outbuilding (the Nurses' Home), visible on the right side of the image. The building has a box-like massing with some Classical Revival detailing, especially around the primary entrance. The wide, cast stone bands divide the exterior into three components and emphasize the horizontal massing of the building.
Date: January 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Location Info:

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt

[100 E. Brazos - Lamar School]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of Lamar School, located at 100 E. Brazos in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building with a tile roof.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[601 S. May - Dilley Foundry Furnace Building]

Description: Photograph of the south and east sides of the Dilley Foundry Furnace Building located on the 600 block of S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building that housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry; it is surrounded by trees and is overgrown with vegetation.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[519 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Gooch, Gardner, Kolstad House," a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[511 Royall - Reagan / Ferguson House]

Description: This modest, center-passage dwelling presents another good illustration of how many late 19th century homeowners applied stylistic ornamentation to a vernacular house form. This 1-story frame residence has a front-facing gable extension and porch with turned-wood columns and jigsawn brackets, all of which are suggestive of the Queen Anne style. Rear additions are not only relatively unobtrusive to the building’s original appearance, but they also reflect the property’s physical evolution and are important architectural features. John H. Reagan built this house in the 1880s for his daughter, Bettie Reagan Ferguson, and his son-in-law, Alexander Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson was postmaster of Palestine from 1886-1890. The dwelling was later the home of the couple’s daughter, Bess Ferguson, who taught in the Palestine schools and was a librarian at the Palestine Public Library.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt

[421 S. Magnolia - Alexander White Gregg House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "Alexander White Gregg House," a two-story house located at 421 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has a partially-enclosed front porch and a two-story bay window in the right side of the building. The house has been modified and expanded multiple times, and it was the primary residence of Congressman Alexander White Gregg and his wife during the late 1800s and early 20th century.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the northwest corner of the "Grant House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the southwest corner of the "A.R. Howard House," a two-story, Victorian Italianate-style house located at 619 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[1100 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: This photo was taking looking north along S. Sycamore Street. just north of the intersection of Sycamore and Jolly Streets. The houses shown in the picture are (from left to right) 1119 S. Sycamore and 1117 S. Sycamore.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David

[704 Avenue A - Old Anderson County Jail]

Description: Photograph of the east side of the Anderson County Jail located at 704 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas, taken from N. Church Street. It is a three-story Art Deco-style brick building. Two men are walking on the sidewalk near the far left of the image.
Date: March 1990
Creator: Newlan, Ralph
Location Info:

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Location Info:

[913 E. Calhoun - Mt. Vernon African American Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of Mount Vernon African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, located at 913 E. Calhoun Street, in Palestine, Texas. The brick building is a Gothic Revival-style building that has large towers on two of the corners with steep pyramidal roofs.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[310 E. Crawford - Gatewood Shelton Gin Building]

Description: Photograph of one corner of the "Gatewood-Shelton Gin" building, located at 310 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story metal-clad structure without stylistic ornamentation, that faces north onto E. Crawford Street, just beyond the northern limits of Palestine’s historic downtown
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info: