Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Jane Pells]

Description: Photograph of Jane Pells. This photo was included in the Pells-Trotter collection of photos and memorabilia which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1887
Creator: Bailey Photography

[Dr. George Howard and two Unidentified Men]

Description: (back of photo) "Nat" (This "Nat" is in my mother's (Mamie Rollins Blackshear's handwriting - W.S.B.) Center one is my distant cousin Dr. George Howard, brother to Mrs. John Hearne. Who are the two on each side? W.S. Blackshear - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: unknown
Creator: Bailey, F.B.

[Two Unidentified Men]

Description: This is a photograph of two unidentified men that was found among the papers of the Conaway family that were donated to the Palestine Public Library some years ago.
Date: unknown
Creator: Blessing and Bro., Photographers

[The Willie Milligan Family]

Description: This is a photograph of Willie and Laura Milligan and their son. He was the son of the sister of Jim Conaway. It was found among the papers of the Conaway family that were donated to the Palestine Public Library some years ago. Photo was taken by Edward Boddy, 42 Oak Street, Palestine, TX.
Date: unknown
Creator: Boddy, Edward

[Photo - Drawing of Heards Hotel]

Description: Adjusted photograph of a drawing of Heards Hotel, which was later called the Stern Hotel, Palestine.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Briggs, Osjetea

[Rev. G. R. Stuart]

Description: Photograph of Rev. G.R. Stuart - made by Collins in New York.
Date: unknown
Creator: Collins - New York

[Sam P. Jones]

Description: Photograph of Sam P. Jones.
Date: unknown
Creator: Collins - New York

[Nathanial W. Blackshear]

Description: Photo of Nathanial W. Blackshear that was taken about 1891.
Date: 1891
Creator: E.F. Brockmeyer - Studio Angelo

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. This photo was taken from the street, looking up the front walk toward the house; the front yard is open and there are planters near the start and end of the front walk as well as large trees on either side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Location Info:

[839 N. Tennessee]

Description: Photograph of a one-story, white, L-plan frame house located at 839 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. It has a large bay window on the left side of the house and Queen Ann-style embellishments along the roofline and the porch.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Location Info:

[920 W. Swanitz - Lincoln School]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Lincoln School" located at 920 W. Swanitz in Palestine, Texas, taken from the northwest corner. It is a two-story brick building that served as a school for African-American students from 1923 until integration in Palestine during 1965. This building was demolished after a 1999 fire. A sign on the corner says: "Anderson County Community Council community Center, 723-5101, Our One Constant: Service to Humanity."
Date: April 1991
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Location Info:

[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

Description: In its present configuration, the McClure-McReynolds-fowler House has a U-shaped plan; however, it originally was a center-passage dwelling similar to the George & Cornelia Howard House at 1101 N. Perry. Additions during the late 19th century changed the overall appearance and reflect the property’s architectural evolution. The house retains its historic character and integrity and is among the most significant examples of vernacular architecture in the city. Tennessee-native Judge Alexander Ewing McClure (1815-1870) built this house in 1849. After arriving in Texas in 1840 and residing for several years in Fort Houston, Judge McClure moved to Palestine, becoming the first district clerk for Anderson County, co-owner of the “Trinity Advocate” (the region’s first newspaper), and one of the area’s most prominent lawyers. Zachariah Aycock McReynolds (1846-1928), a native of Georgia and a Confederate veteran, purchased the house in 1884. He held several local elected offices during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector, and postmaster. He remodeled this house around 1890, reusing the original timber. In 1934 Colonel Godfrey Rees Fowler (1876-1958) retired to this house with his wife, Ella Sue McReynolds (Z.A. McReynold’s daughter). A grandson of John H. Reagan, Fowler’s military career included action during the Spanish-American war and World War I. The house is currently serving as a Bed and Breakfast called the Dogwood Inn.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron

[925 N. Link - Edwin W. and Eva Link House]

Description: Photograph of the southeast corner of the "Edwin and Eva Link House," located at 925 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: March 1991
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Location Info:

[Major Alfred Morris Jr.]

Description: Taken by Lt. Geo. L. Forward of Texarkana, Ark. at the Liba Staging area, Philippines, December 1945, of Maj. Alfred Morris, Jr. sun bathing. From the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: December 1945
Creator: Forward, George L.

[Kenneth Gordon Linesey]

Description: Photograph of Kenneth Gordon Linesey (not sure of the spelling of the last name) Age 5 years. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: unknown
Creator: Frenette Studio

[Unidentified Woman]

Description: Photo of Unidentified Woman - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: unknown
Creator: Giddings Studio

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt

[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[200 Block S. Magnolia]

Description: This photo was taken from the west side of S. Magnolia Street, just south of the railroad tracks, with the camera facing north. The houses are (from right to left) 216 S. Magnolia, 212 S. Magnolia, 208 S. Magnolia (Verda's Flower Shop) and 204 S. Magnolia.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story brick building located at 301 W. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival features; the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. There are two sets of stairs leading to the front entrance and the sign over the doors says "Grace United Methodist Church."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info: