Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Andrew L. Bowers]

Description: Andrew L. Bowers was born in 1852 in North Carolina. Upon moving to Texas, his first job was as a day laborer on an iron bridge at Columbus, TX. He was eighteen years of age. At nineteen he was promoted to foreman, with the Delaware Bridge Company. Afterward, he worked for the railroads, steadily climbing their ranks until he reached the position of Superintendent of Construction for the Northwest division, covering the area from Spring to Fort Worth. He eventually left the railroad, resigning to look after his investments. He became interested in the Salt Works of Palestine, helping to develop that important new enterprise and serving as its first president. He married Nellie O’Connell, on May 31, 1882 in Corsicana. They were the parents of five children: Irene, Mabel, Andrew Jr., Willie, and Bernard. In 1890, the need for a Building and Loan Association became acute in this section, and Mr. Bowers, along with several others, organized the Mechanics’ Building and Loan Association. This was one of the earliest organizations of the kind in the state of Texas. In 1906 he bought from Governor Thomas M. Campbell, a controlling interest in the Palestine National Bank and was made president. But he was not constituted for indoor work; the open spaces called him and he retired from banking after a signally successful connection of seven years. Mr. Bowers was a large property owner, his holdings comprising, notably, a large number of business houses in various Texas cities. He served three terms as Mayor of Palestine, being first elected in 1897 and serving until 1907 and then re-elected in 1909 and serving until 1915. He was once again elected in 1919 and served until 1923. Achievements of his regime included: paving of streets, erection of substantial brick school buildings, fire station ...
Date: 1897
Item Type: Photograph

[210 Crawford - J.H. Silliman Home]

Description: Photo of the J.H. Silliman Home, located at 210 Crawford. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business founded in 1871, and one of the largest hardware stores in the region. Silliman married Laura Brook, the architect’James Frith Brook's, daughter, in 1920. The family later moved to 638 S. Magnolia.
Date: 1898~
Item Type: Photograph

Palestine City Directory, 1898-1899

Description: Containing an alphabetically arranged list of business firms and private citizens. A classified list of all trades, professions and pursuits. A street and avenue guide. A miscellaneous directory of city officials, public schools, churches, secret and benevolent societies, etc.
Date: 1898
Creator: Hensley-Arnold Co.
Item Type: Book

[American Home Bakery]

Description: Photograph of a group of people posing outside the American Home Bakery, located at the corner of John and Oak streets in Palestine, Texas. There are two horse-drawn delivery wagons outside the building and the horses are being held by boys; several other people, most wearing aprons, are posed outside the entrance behind them.
Date: 1899~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Description: Copy negative of the front of a two-story house located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. There are people on the porch and in the front yard.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Bowers Mansion - 301 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Daughters of the Confederacy]

Description: This picture was made at a state convention of the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy at Corsicana Texas, 1900. The flag in the process of being folded is of unknown origin. It was returned from New Orleans with the effects of Col. William Lull and was supposed, from its single star, to have belonged to Texas. It's description: Gray field, red star, gray and blue stripes, heavy red fringe entirely surrounding it.
Date: 1900
Item Type: Photograph

[Elkhart, Texas]

Description: Photo of Main Street, Elkhart Texas. This whole town burned at one point and when it was rebuilt, all the main buildings were made of brick.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph

[Interior of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Palestine, facing the rounded north wall of the church. The altar is visible in the center of the image and there area series of stained-glass windows in the wall behind the altar; there is a also a mural of Jesus and angels painted on the domed roof above the altar area.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Interior of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Palestine, Texas, including an altar area surrounded by decorative stained-glass windows and a religious mural. Other religious symbols are on the wall outside the recessed altar area, and rows of pews are visible in the foreground.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, located at 106 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a brick building that has windows with pointed arches. There is a taller, square tower on the northwest corner of the building. Horse-drawn wagons are parked along the streets.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Two Men in a Wagon]

Description: Photo of two men in a wagon in Palestine. The man on the left, driving the wagon, is James Andrew Thompson and the man to his left is his brother-in-law, Columbus Wade.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph

[Cilla Price]

Description: Miss Cilla Price - Palestine Texas - 1901 Photo found among the Conaway family papers that were donated to the Palestine Public Library some time ago.
Date: 1901
Creator: Picker
Item Type: Photograph

[John Randolph Hearne]

Description: John Randolph Hearne, son of Texas pioneers Columbus Calamicus Hearne and wife Mary Ellen Gilmer, was born July 15, 1854 in Wheelock, Robinson County, TX. Educated in the schools of his native county, he later attended Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA. He returned to Texas in 1871, soon thereafter moving to Palestine, first engaging in the drug business which he followed for many years. Later he sold this business and moved to Dallas, becoming a very successful businessman. The first electric lights in Dallas were installed in his business downtown. Mr. Hearne later sold this business and moved back to Palestine where he was engaged in the hardware business, and at the time of his death was head of the Palestine Hardware Co. Mr. Hearne invested quite extensively in real estate in Palestine. A prominent businessman, he was instrumental in helping to organize the Palestine National Bank, which later merged with one of the existing banks and he was elected Vice-President of this bank. He was President of the Palestine Board of Trade, and also President of the Royall National Bank. He was Mayor of Palestine from 1907 to 1909 and during his administration Oak Street and Avenue A were the first streets to be paved. Mr. Hearne was described as a man of unselfish interest in public affairs. John Randolph Hearne was married to Miss Emma Sophronia Howard, daughter of Col. And Mrs. George Robert Howard, and to this union three children were born. He died at his home at 503 Hodges Street on February 10, 1930 and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1907
Item Type: Photograph

[Palestine Daily News]

Description: Photo of a page of the Palestine Daily News Newspaper dated January 8, 1913, when the Third Anderson County Courthouse was burned.
Date: January 8, 1913
Item Type: Photograph