Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Dr. Carolyn Salter]

Description: Carolyn Salter was elected in 2005 as the first female Mayor of Palestine. Photograph of a woman in a suit in front of a governmental seal and an American Flag.
Date: 2005
Item Type: Photograph

[616 S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the front of a 1 ½-story Tudor Revival-style house located at 616 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive characteristics on this house include the cross-gabled roof, decorative half-timbered woodwork in gable ends, and windows with small diamond-shaped panes of glass.
Date: 2000~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[111 Angelina - Pentecom LLC]

Description: Located at the northwest corner of Angelina and Royall streets, it was at one time the Medical Center Pharmacy. As of August 2006, the building houses the offices of Pentecom LLC.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph

[200 Block S. Magnolia]

Description: This photo was taken from the west side of S. Magnolia Street, just south of the railroad tracks, with the camera facing north. The houses are (from right to left) 216 S. Magnolia, 212 S. Magnolia, 208 S. Magnolia (Verda's Flower Shop) and 204 S. Magnolia.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story brick building located at 301 W. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival features; the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. There are two sets of stairs leading to the front entrance and the sign over the doors says "Grace United Methodist Church."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the northwest corner of the "Grant House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the northeast corner of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[310 E. Crawford - Gatewood Shelton Gin Building]

Description: Photograph of one corner of the "Gatewood-Shelton Gin" building, located at 310 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story metal-clad structure without stylistic ornamentation, that faces north onto E. Crawford Street, just beyond the northern limits of Palestine’s historic downtown
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[315 E. Kolstad - Greenwood House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Greenwood House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 315 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is partially obscured by trees in the front yard.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[400 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: This picture was taken while standing at the intersection of Dallas and S. Sycamore streets, looking northeast at the houses on S. Sycamore street. The houses are (from left to right) 408 S. Sycamore, 412 S. Sycamore, 416 S. Sycamore and the last house on the right is no longer there. I do not know what the address of that house was.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[401 W. Main - G. E. Dilley Building]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Dilley Building," a two-story, brick building located at 401 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has a rectangular plan and load-bearing masonry walls with Victorian Italianate-style details, including an elaborately detailed parapet on the façade and the segmental-arched hoodmolds on the second floors of the south and east elevations. It is classified as a Two-Part Commercial Block building, and is part of Palestine’s central business district.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. This photo was taken from the street, looking up the front walk toward the house; the front yard is open and there are planters near the start and end of the front walk as well as large trees on either side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[511 Royall - Reagan / Ferguson House]

Description: This modest, center-passage dwelling presents another good illustration of how many late 19th century homeowners applied stylistic ornamentation to a vernacular house form. This 1-story frame residence has a front-facing gable extension and porch with turned-wood columns and jigsawn brackets, all of which are suggestive of the Queen Anne style. Rear additions are not only relatively unobtrusive to the building’s original appearance, but they also reflect the property’s physical evolution and are important architectural features. John H. Reagan built this house in the 1880s for his daughter, Bettie Reagan Ferguson, and his son-in-law, Alexander Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson was postmaster of Palestine from 1886-1890. The dwelling was later the home of the couple’s daughter, Bess Ferguson, who taught in the Palestine schools and was a librarian at the Palestine Public Library.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info: