Palestine Public Library - 652 Matching Results

Search Results

[715 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a modified L-plan house located at 715 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is painted off-white with green accents and has a distinctive hipped roof and gabled extensions. The house has some Queen Anne-style embellishments including the use of shingles in the gable ends and a dormer window and also has some Classical Revival-style features including small Doric-like columns and simple balustrade on the wrap-around front porch.
Date: February 1992
Location Info:

[715 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a modified L-plan house located at 715 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is painted off-white with green accents and has a distinctive hipped roof and gabled extensions. The house has some Queen Anne-style embellishments including the use of shingles in the gable ends and a dormer window and also has some Classical Revival-style features including small Doric-like columns and simple balustrade on the wrap-around front porch.
Date: 1992-02~
Location Info:

[501 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the south side of a two-story house located at 501 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The house is brick on the first floor with wooden siding on the front and upper floor, painted light brown or beige with dark brown shutters.
Date: unknown
Location Info:

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "A.R. Howard House," a two-story, Victorian Italianate-style house located at 619 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. The house is behind a red-brick fence with metal ornamentation.
Date: unknown
Location Info:

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the upper north-east corner of the "Broyles House," located at 1305 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas, viewed from W. Cook Street, on the north side of the house. It is a white, 2 ½-story frame house with Queen Anne-style architecture including shingling and decorative woodwork.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the "William and Caroline Broyles House" outside the front entrance. Text: A native of Huntsville, Alabama, William Broyles came to Texas following the Civil War. Traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, he continued his journey to Texas on foot, finally settling in Palestine. Broyles worked as a carpenter and later opened a mercantile store near the Anderson County courthouse. Following the arrival of the railroad and the subsequent relocation of the town, he opened the first store in the new townsite. In 1878 he established a lumber business which eventually included a lumberyard, saw mill, and cabinet shop. A real estate investor as well as merchant, Broyles played an important role in the economic development of Palestine. He had this home built for his wife, Caroline, in 1895. Designed by local architect Luther McKlemurry, the home is a fine example of 19th-century eclecticism, exhibiting influences of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire styles. Outstanding features include its tower, roof cresting, and fine milled woodwork crafted by workers at Broyles' lumber company. Landscaping originally surrounding the home included elaborate flower gardens and an adjacent pecan orchard.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence, including square columns along the front porch. A green flag is partially visible to the right of the front walk.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house.
Date: 1960~
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of an anchor in the front yard of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence, including square columns along the front porch.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[Kolstad Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a sidewalk cover over the store windows. The name "Kolstad" is above the entrance. Several unidentified people are standing on the corner and cars are parked outside the store; part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a striped awning over the sidewalk with the text "Texas' Oldest Store" above the entrance. Signs above the awning say "Thomas C. Smith, Proprietor," "Kolstad," and "George Handson: Jeweler, Calligrapher, Clock Repair" on the front of the store and "Kolstad [...] Texas' Oldest Store" on the side. A part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1990~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[Gaught House - 107 E. Kolstad]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[House on the corner of Fowler and Kolstad Streets]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of a house located at 115 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has architectural elements representative of a modified L-plan house including a steeply pitched hipped roof with gabled extensions, however the exterior was remodeled with Tudor Revival-style architectural elements including brick veneer, faux half-timbering, and an entrance bay with round-arched openings and stucco and brick exterior finish.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of N. Church and E. Crawford streets. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
Date: 1960~
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

Description: Copy negative of the front and south side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Magnolia and Reagan streets. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. Many of the windows are open.
Date: 1920~
Location Info:

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.
Date: 1930~

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: 1875~

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info: