Palestine Public Library - 1,952 Matching Results

Search Results

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the "William and Caroline Broyles House" outside the front entrance. Text: A native of Huntsville, Alabama, William Broyles came to Texas following the Civil War. Traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, he continued his journey to Texas on foot, finally settling in Palestine. Broyles worked as a carpenter and later opened a mercantile store near the Anderson County courthouse. Following the arrival of the railroad and the subsequent relocation of the town, he opened the first store in the new townsite. In 1878 he established a lumber business which eventually included a lumberyard, saw mill, and cabinet shop. A real estate investor as well as merchant, Broyles played an important role in the economic development of Palestine. He had this home built for his wife, Caroline, in 1895. Designed by local architect Luther McKlemurry, the home is a fine example of 19th-century eclecticism, exhibiting influences of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire styles. Outstanding features include its tower, roof cresting, and fine milled woodwork crafted by workers at Broyles' lumber company. Landscaping originally surrounding the home included elaborate flower gardens and an adjacent pecan orchard.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence, including square columns along the front porch. A green flag is partially visible to the right of the front walk.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house.
Date: 1960~
Location Info:

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of an anchor in the front yard of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence, including square columns along the front porch.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[Kolstad Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a sidewalk cover over the store windows. The name "Kolstad" is above the entrance. Several unidentified people are standing on the corner and cars are parked outside the store; part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:

[100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a striped awning over the sidewalk with the text "Texas' Oldest Store" above the entrance. Signs above the awning say "Thomas C. Smith, Proprietor," "Kolstad," and "George Handson: Jeweler, Calligrapher, Clock Repair" on the front of the store and "Kolstad [...] Texas' Oldest Store" on the side. A part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1990~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Copy print of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. A gazebo is visible on the grounds, to the right, and several unidentified people are standing near one corner of the building. The words "Court House, Palestine, Texas" are written across the top of the image.
Date: [1885..1916]

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Copy negative of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. A gazebo is visible on the grounds, to the right, and several unidentified people are standing near one corner of the building.
Date: [1885..1916]

[Gaught House - 107 E. Kolstad]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[House on the corner of Fowler and Kolstad Streets]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of a house located at 115 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has architectural elements representative of a modified L-plan house including a steeply pitched hipped roof with gabled extensions, however the exterior was remodeled with Tudor Revival-style architectural elements including brick veneer, faux half-timbering, and an entrance bay with round-arched openings and stucco and brick exterior finish.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:

[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of N. Church and E. Crawford streets. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
Date: 1960~
Location Info:

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:

[313 - 315 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, brick, commercial building located at 313-315 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has masonry embellishments along the parapet and stucco finish, as well as a sidewalk cover on the first floor. There is an A.A. (Al-Anon) sign over the front door and parts of adjoining buildings are visible on either side.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[317 - 319 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story commercial building located at 317-319 W. Main in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of W. Main and N. Queen streets. The building is painted white and has masonry accents along the roofline. The storefronts in this building have signs for two businesses including a "Tailor Shop & Mens' Wear" and "Deluxe Cleaners." Part of the adjoining brick building is visible on the right, and a taller brick building is visible in the background.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[311 - 313 W. Main]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a two-story stucco commercial building located at 311-313 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has some masonry embellishments along the roofline in the front as well as a sidewalk cover on the first floor.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info: