Palestine Public Library - 1,922 Matching Results

Search Results

[The Hodges Dry Goods Company]

Description: The Hodges Dry Goods Company was established in 1885 and the building on Oak Street was built in 1892 by A.B. and D.M. Hodges. The building was 50 by 100 feet. At the corner of Oak and N. Magonlia and it was the first business establishment on Oak Street.
Date: unknown

[Nathanial W. Blackshear]

Description: Photo of Nathanial W. Blackshear that was taken about 1891.
Date: 1891
Creator: E.F. Brockmeyer - Studio Angelo

[Nathanial W. Blackshear at reins of a wagon]

Description: Photo of Nathanial W. Blackshear driving a buggy with an unidentified man sitting next to him and another unidentified man standing beside the horse. On the back of the photograph is the following: "In this 'gig' he eloped with "Mamie" Rollins, my mother. on Midnight May 18, 1892 - married at 3 a.m. May 19, 1892 by Presbyterian Minister Dr. Crozier, Palestine Tex. with Zula Quark(?) as bridesmaid and in Zula's clothing, because her mother had taken away her clothing and locked her in her room. So Mamie got out of her window in her night gown wrapped in the counterpayne"
Date: 1900~

[101 E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Federal Building," located at 101 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Renaissance Revival-style details.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[201 E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a multi-story brick building located at 201 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. The entrance on the corner has a glass door with an name on it and several full-length glass window; stonework text at the top of the building says "Ivanhoe No. 15. KofP." As per the 1898-1899 Palestine City Directory, this was the home of the Knights of Pythias. A sign for a neighboring building that says "Goodwill Industries of East Texas" is visible on the far left.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[601 E. Murchison]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of a white, two-story frame house with Queen Anne-style ornamentation, located at 601 E. Murchison in Palestine, Texas.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore

[807 E. Murchison]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a house located at 807 E. Murchison in Palestine, Texas. It has a pedimented portico on the façade which is suggestive of the Greek Revival style.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[941 S. Michaux]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a white, one-story house located at 941 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. It has some Queen Anne-style embellishments, including shingling in the gable ends and decorative woodwork in the eaves.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[1212 N. Moody]

Description: Photograph of a white, one-story house located at 1212 N. Moody in Palestine, Texas.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore

[Aerial View of Palestine]

Description: Aerial view of Palestine looking west from the courthouse, down Avenue A toward Spring Street.
Date: unknown

[St. Phillips Episcopal Church]

Description: Photo of the St. Phillips Episcopal church, which was built c. 1870 on the corner of Crawford and Sycamore Streets in Palestine. It was moved across Sycamore Street about 1909, which is where it sits today.
Date: [1870..1909]

[Church - Palestine, Texas]

Description: This is a photo of the First Baptist Church, which is located on Kolstad Street in Palestine.
Date: unknown

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: unknown

[The White Way - Spring Street - Palestine, TX.]

Description: The White Way, Spring Street, Palestine, TX. Known as this because of the way the streetlights lining the center of the road lit the way at night. This photo was made from an old post card.
Date: 1900

[Gatewood Shelton Gin]

Description: The Gatewood-Shelton Gin is a 2-story metal-clad structure that faces north onto W. Crawford Street, just beyond the northern limits of Palestine’s historic downtown. Lacking any stylistic ornament, the free-standing structure originally housed a cotton ginning operation, but now houses a private club. All of the gin equipment and machinery was removed from the premises, leaving only the shell of the original building. The land on which the Gin is located was the site of perhaps the earliest settlement in what became the City of Palestine. In the early 1840’s this land belonged to James R. Fulton and Johnson Shelton, who operated an Indian trading post and grist mill on the site. When, in 1846, the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County, the new town was laid out just to the east of Fulton and Shelton’s trading post. The two men, along with William Bigelow, were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks. It is thought that the earliest business on the site, other than the trading post, was the Eureka Gin Manufacturing Company, which built several tin buildings here during the early 1880’s. These buildings were continually modified and adapted over the years, and they arrived in the configuration shown in this picture by about 1920. Later, the operation is listed in the 1914 business directory as the Morris Gin Machine Company. By 1926-27, the property was home to both the Morris Machine Company, which used the front portion of the building, and the Morris-Shelton Gin at the rear. It was the sole cotton gin operating in Palestine, according to city directories. By 1935-36, according to city directories, the ...
Date: unknown

[Children at Play]

Description: Children at play in front of the old Palestine High School Gym. Note this is not the old Rusk School.
Date: unknown

[400 S. Michaux]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[509 S. Michaux]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a one-story Craftsman-inspired bungalow frame house located at 509 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The most distinctive architectural element is the expansive side-facing gabled roof, in addition to the low-rising “eyebrow” extension on the roof’s front slope that marks the primary entrance.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[400 S. Michaux]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front entrance to the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. There is a white stone arch over the entrance, with the words "High School" above it and various other white stone embellishments around the upper floors and along the roofline. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[201 E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a multi-story brick building located at 201 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. The entrance on the corner has a glass door with an name on it and several full-length glass window; stonework text at the top of the building says "Ivanhoe No. 15. KofP." As per the 1898-1899 Palestine City Directory, this was the home of the Knights of Pythias.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[100 Block E. Oak]

Description: Photograph of a three-story brick building located at the corner of Oak and Houston streets, in the 100 block of E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. The first floor has a glass storefront and the sign above says "Goodwill Industries."
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info:

[214 W. Neches]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of a one-story house with square pillars across the front porch, located at 214 W. Neches in Palestine, Texas.
Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location Info: