Elevated view of the intersection of Arapaho Road and North Central Expressway, looking north. The elevated portion of the expressway is not paved; it only has support beams. Motor vehicles are stopped at the intersection. On the SE corner of the intersection is an Exxon gas station, behind is a sign and car lot for OK Used Cars; then the Texas Industries Concrete facility. On the horizon are the railroad and Greenville Avenue intersections with Arapaho Road. On the NE corner is the Super Motor Co., then the Decorator's Drapery Workroom. On the horizon, at the left side of the photograph, is the Ramada Renaissance Hotel (now the Richardson Hotel), built in 1986.
Arapaho Road, east from North Central Expressway (U.S. Highway 75), taken from roadside between north-bound Central and its access road. A vehicle carrying earth-moving equipment is east-bound on Arapaho Road. At the SE corner of the intersection is a sign: "TURN LEFT FASCINATION HOMES NORTHRICH WEST." Five or six small trees are enclosed with a low fence on the right/south side of Arapaho. Further east is a gravel/cement/construction facility. On the left/north side of Arapaho are 2 houses. On the horizon a railroad crossing sign is visible, and a vehicle on the street at the horizon. Various utility lines and poles edge streets and the railroad.
Grade-level, iron trestle bridge over West Branch of Cottonwood Creek on Arapaho Road. The ends of the bridge spans have horizontal wooden boards attached. Arapaho Road appears to be hard gravel. In the background is the intersection with Martin Rd. (now West Shore Dr.), which extends right/north. The creek area is filled with trees. One utility pole is at the NW corner of the intersection. Beyond, to the horizon, appears to be a flat field.
One lane, paved alley with curve/intersection in foreground. Left of the alley is a raised railroad. Next to left edge of the alley are utility poles and lines. Storm drain access from the alley is at the foreground. Right of the alley is a continuous wooden fence, with roofs and trees behind the fencing. Two trash/garbage pick-up areas are visible, with raised platforms and metal trash cans. Additional information. Written on back: Looking north from the alley which serves Bowser showing fencing of residential properties Nov. 25, 1968
Medium sized brick building with large front window "Post Office, Richardson, Texas". On front door with screen door and metal awning. Two windows visible on right side of building. Visible through the large window are 24 mail boxes and a tall table.
Man, woman, boy and three girls standing in front of wood clad residence. The one-story residence has a full, roofed porch and is raised on blocks with no skirting. A raised, plank walk leads to the front of the home. Left to right: BLEWETT, Chapman Hart. Born 25 Dec 1856, Richardson TX; died 24 May 1920; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, Mattie C. (Martha Corilla) Skiles. Born 23 Sep 1855, Warren Co. KY; died 16 Sep 1907/1920, Richardson TX; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. Married 8 Dec 1880, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, John William. Born 25 Apr 1882, died Mar 1968. BLEWETT, Jennie Bell. Born 31 Jan 1886, died 10 Aug 1952. BLEWETT, Mattie Laura. Born 1 Jun 1896, died 15 Jan 1955. BLEWETT, Jessie Lou "Jeb". Born 22 Dec 1887.
Two men and 1 woman standing in front of a wood clad residence. The rear, roofed, porch is facing; the front porch is just visible on the far left of the photograph. From left to right: A man is standing in front of a dark horse. A small dog is perched on the hind-quarters of the horse. A man is standing in front of a small black and white dog. The dog is sitting on a wooden box/crate. A woman is standing at the front corner of the porch, beneath a medium tree. She is holding a palm fan.
6 persons standing. 1 boy standing on porch. 2 men, 1 boy, 2 women standing in front of porch. Porch of house appears to cover front facade of building; swing visible on right behind women; wooden steps to porch. Written on back: Charlie and [?] Clara and 2nd boy ana [sic] Raymon youngest boy fronnt [sic] porch.
5 children - studio portrait. Rita Mae, holding Jack. Ima, standing. Robert seated, wearing suit. Mary, seated in front. Written on back: on back of picture: John & Lezze Campbell Family ca 1910. Rita holding Jack (McGuire) deceased. Ima (standing) (Forman. Robert deceased. Mary C. (Harrison). Jack deceased. Roma - the baby not yet born when (Smithwick) picture was made (deceased).]
Family portrait of three women and a man posing together. An older gentleman and woman are seated in the front and two women are standing behind them. Names are written on back in this order: "Lodemia Ann Campbell Routh, Serepta Ellen Campbell Routh, William LaFayette Campbell, Margaret Emma Campbell Stanley." Also written on back: "children of Robert Fleming Campbell (5/2/1804-11/18/1881) and Nancy Jane David Campbell 8/7/1801-11/29/1841 from Tennessee 1851"
Brick storefront, with curved corrugated metal awning. Three sets of double opening doors, with smaller glass panes above. "The Citizens State Bank" painted on one of the middle set of doors. Bill Stratton, age 6, and Newt Harris standing in and in front of right hand set of doors. Angled tall counter visible through the opened left pair of doors. Brick sidewalk in front, dirt street visible with double board walkway across. Written on back: Daddy, 6yrs ( Bill Stratton) & Uncle Newt Harris, 1906
Cotton gin, two-story wooden frame building. Four 2-horsedrawn wagons containing cotton. 15 men visible. Telephone pole in foreground. Numerous outbuildings. Additional information: Telephone service in Richardson was established in 1900.
Fred [P] Winkler (owner), Morgan Gant, Billy Giles, James Tune, Clarence Hastedt and Tillman Jones, youths Ronny Clark and Jackie Fielder, all wearing aprons, standing in an aisle. Assortment of groceries, some brand names visible, on left and right. Written on back: Fred Winkler, Morgan Gant, Billy Giles, James Tune, Clarence Hastedt and Tillman Jones. 1953. (2 youths, Ronny Clark and Jackie Fielder, standing in front) all wearing aprons. Additional information: [Richardson 1959-1960 Directory, paid listing: COUNTRY STORE, Fresh Meats and Groceries, 100 East Main Street, Fred P. Winkler, Owner, Phone ADams 5-5351]
Large, two-story wood clad residence with wrap-around roofed porch. The center section of the porch has a balcony porch on the 2nd floor. Two benches are visible on the porch; the foundation is skirted with brick; the porch steps are concrete. A small pied horse is standing in front of the porch. Four people are on the porch, a man standing, a boy standing, a man seated, and a woman standing partially behind him. Left to right: ALLEN, Robert Clint. Born Feb 1893. ALLEN, Cecil Butler. Born Sept 1899. ALLEN, Finis Ewing. Born 21 Apr 1857, Pettis Co MO; died 6 Jan 1918, Richardson TX. Allen, Lelia Ashby Butler. Born May 1862 KY. Robert Clint Allen, standing, wearing coat and hat;
Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Large open field. In the foreground is a grouping of seven trees, with some shrubs or saplings, all growing in grass/weeds. Only the center tree, the one closest to the foreground, is leafed. Behind is a large open space, with cultivated areas visible on the horizon. On the left of the horizon is a large building, with a taller domed portion, part of Restland Cemetery. The note on the back states that the tree was planted in 1856. The Floyd Inn served as a stop for the stage from Dallas to Denton.
Frances Way, 500 block, looking east from the intersection with Lois Lane. The street is paved, with curbs and sidewalks. Houses are on both sides of the street, those on the right/south are partially visible. Most houses have front driveways. Three cars are parked on the street, and 2 cars are in driveways. There are trees, utility poles, and lines. A fire hydrant is on the NE corner of the intersection.
Elevated view of Greenville Avenue, looking south, probably from Main Street. In the foreground, on the left, is the First United Presbyterian Church (originally the Trinity Congregation), with Polk St. behind it. The building was completed in 1910. On the right is the First United Methodist Church, which was built in 1898. One car is on Greenville Ave. A sidewalk runs along the right/west, side of Greenville Ave. In the background is Philips Street, with the Mount Calvary Baptist Church on the SE corner of the intersection, completed in 1886. The Richardson School building, opened in 1914, is on the SW corner. Greenville Avenue curves to the left/east at Philips. Numerous residences are also shown, as are utility poles.
Elevated view, looking south, of Greenville Avenue starting from the Main Street intersection. On the near left/east is the Exterior Rolling Shutter Co. building, with an "L" shaped retail building behind, facing south and west. The spires of the First Baptist Church at Philips and Greenville are visible. On the right/west side of the street is the Din Hao Market, P&R Auto Supply, houses and trees. In the back, on the right, is the RISD Administration building and the large bus barn. On the horizon, from left to right, are the Abrams Centre building, built in 1982, downtown Dallas, and buildings along Central Expressway.
Seven people and one dog, standing at a gated fence in front of a two-story clapboard house. From left to right: Man with folded arms, wearing a hat and suit. Man with hands clasped in front, wearing a suit. Woman behind the fence (made of horizontal boards attached to wooden posts), wearing dark skirt, white blouse, pompadour hair-style. Woman behind gate, wearing light-colored clothing. Man sitting on large round fence post (or tree trunk), wearing brimmed hat tilted back. Woman wearing two-piece dress, with a wide dark/light striped pattern. Man, leaning on the fence, dark hat in his right hand, moustached. In front of him (blurred) is a light-colored dog. The house behind them is two-story, wood clad, with a closed dormer forming a roof for the porch. The front door, framed above and to the side by narrow windows, appears to be open. Trees are visible at both sides; a shed is just visible on the right edge of the picture.
Four men standing outdoors. All are wearing dark trousers and white, long-sleeved shirts. From left to right, the first man wears glasses and a bow-tie, has a moustache, and is wearing sleeve garters. The other three wear long neck-ties. Pocket-watch chains are visible on the 3rd and 4th men. Behind them is an arbor or trellis with brushy growth on the top and on the right side. Additional information: The photograph is from the Grissom family collection, but no identification is available.
Formal studio portrait. Three men, in dark suits, white shirts, and long neckties, standing behind two seated women. Both women wear dark skirts and white blouses with standing ruffled collars, possibly trimmed in lace. The woman on the right wears a dark ribbon around the collar. The woman on the left wears a dark, open jacket with ribbon trim at collar and cuffs. Additional information: Children of Park Lee GRISSOM (24 Aug 1854 - 10 Feb 1938) and Mary Jennie COFFEE (5 Sep 1852 - 6 Apr 1912) Left to right - Pat, Guss, Will (standing) Rebecca, Ada (seated) Pat GRISSOM [?Richard Clint GRISSOM?] (20 May 1882 AL - 3 Jul 1948 TX) married Ollie Mae CROSS Guss Eugene GRISSOM (19 Jul 1889 AL - 12 Aug 1969 TX) married Allie Bell BOGGS William Lee GRISSOM (27 Oct 1879 AL - 29 Jan 1949 TX) married Mollie SANDIFER Rebecca Bell GRISSOM (15 Jul 1884 AL - 12 Aug 1962 TX) married Robert Tremble PREWITT Ada Coloeman GRISSOM (23 Feb 1877 AL - 6 May 1950 AL) married Minor HARAWAY
Grove Road, looking north, from the "T" intersection with Summit Drive, which terminates at Grove Road. On the horizon, left to center, is Frances Way. The elevated railroad, center to right, intersects Frances Way, and further north, Belt Line Rd., with underpasses. On the extreme right, a water tower is partially shown. The majority of the photograph is a large, mowed, field, extending north to Frances Way, and east/west, from Grove Road to the railroad. Homes and utility poles are on the left/west side of Grove Road. One truck and one car are on Grove; one car is parked on the right/east side of Grove; an eastbound car is on Frances Way, just east of the intersection.
Looking west, a plowed, bare field, with a street, Frances Way, and utility poles on the far right. At the horizon is a street, Grove Road, with homes on the west side, facing east. Homes on the west side of Grove were built ca 1954. Homes on the east side were not built until ca 1973.
Gulf gasoline station with covered drive-through, 4 pumps, 2 air compressors, corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue. Advertising pole with 2 lights. Tillman Jones standing in front of station; young child standing near building. Water tower in background. Additional information: Corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue.
Interior view of Harben's Drug Store. Four men are visible, the one on the far right is Sam Harben. Ads for various patent medicines including Mentholatum and Cardui are legible. Floor and ceiling are finished wood. There is a counter partly visible with four metal stools. Six glass display cases and two electric ceiling fans are visible. Noted on back of photo - Sam Harben on right, early 1900s. Additional information: Cardui was a patent medicine used to reduce menstrual problems. It was 19% alcohol and included Blessed Thistle, Black Haw and Golden Seal.
Informal family group photograph, standing and seated on a side porch of a house. The porch extends around the corner of the building to the right. Visible on the right are fences and another building. Standing on the porch are three women, the first only partially visible, with a girl standing in front, one man in a three-piece suit, one young woman, a woman in profile, and two elderly women (7 women, one girl, one man). Seated in front, on the edge of the porch, is a moustached man in a suit and dark hat, and a younger man in military uniform with hat and leg gaiters. Additional information: Left to right, standing: possibly Evelyn HARRIS (hidden) Mattie E Strait HARRIS (1874-25 Sep 1971) Noma HARRIS [in front of mother Mattie] (15 Feb 1910 - 20 Jan 1987) married Leonard Allen HUFFHINES (8 Oct 1911 - 16 Sep 1988) Grace FOX Robert K. (Bob) HARRIS possibly Evelyn HARRIS Katherine Paulina L. HARRIS (1849-1928) widow of Samuel P. Harris (1831-1914) Emma Dooley Seated: Thomas Newton HARRIS (31 Oct 1870 - 27 Jun 1952) Joe HARRIS [?P. G. Harris?]
Huguley cotton gin, wood frame building. 9 men standing, 1 man seated in 1-horse buggy - in front of building. Abe (Abraham) M. Cain (wearing apron), 4th from left. 2 barrels, 1 saw-horse, construction materials visible. Additional information: Abe (Abraham) M. Cain, son of William Daniel & Fannie Cain, was an early alderman, went to work at age 13; did carpentry, built many buildings including the red [brick] school [administration] building. "Huguley" sometimes spelled Hugley.
5 people. Two women, one man standing in front of a stone wall structure. Two children, a boy wearing a white hat, and a girl, are seated in front of the man. The wall/structure appears to be made of large blocks of sandstone or limestone, cemented. Neither the side edges nor the top edge of the structure is visible. The location is possibly Kirkland Park. Written on back: LR- Jessie Blewett Harben Eula Huffhines Harben Jesse Harben [14 Dec 1888 - Oct 1973] Carson Harben Lucille Huffhines (?)
5 children; 3 in buggy; 1 standing, with black dog; 1 standing on harness shaft. Single seat buggy; 1 horse Additional information: Children of John Meade CAMPBELL and Elizabeth Semonie Haynes CAMPBELL: Rita Mae 1895-1976, Ima Meade 1898-, Robert Haynes 1900-, Mary Winnie 1904-, Jack 1907-, Roma 1912-.
Studio Portrait. 3 children standing, 2 boys, 1 girl. Man & woman seated, 1 young man seated. Written on back: Front Row - left to right: W. H. Chick (Uncle Will); John W. Chick (Grandpa); Frances Angelina Chick (Grandma); C. B. Chick (my father). back row - Robert L. Chick (Uncle Bob); Sarah Elizabeth Chick (Aunt Sallie)(Mrs. C. C. Huffhines)
Lois Lane, 400 block, north from the intersection with Spring Valley Road. The street is paved with curbs and sidewalks. One car is parked on the street; one covered boat is in front of a house on the left/west. The homes variously have front driveways, or circular driveways, or possibly rear driveways. The southern half of the block does not have utility poles on the street.
Looking north west, the intersection of Main Street / Belt Line Rd. and the east-side frontage road of U. S. Highway 75 (Northbound). A pile of dirt/rocks is on the left foreground; center front is an eroded ditch that is covered by a concrete culvert at Main Street. Two cars are visible on Main Street, and 2 more are parked north of Main Street, on the right side of the photograph. Multiple real estate/housing development signs are on the intersection corners. Buildings are visible in the right background, through leafless trees and shrubs. Signs: Carter Built Homes - AZALEA PARK - Carter Const Co TEX-ANN Lutheran Church ...ier Homes - Mimosa & Cypress Drive ..5-2527 FINESSE HOMES
Intersection of multi-lane, partially divided street with expressway access road. Motor vehicles are shown parked in a parking lot with angled parking. To the right/east is a strip of retail businesses. On the left/west is the northbound access road to an elevated portion of North Central Expressway. West Main Street extends under the Expressway. On the center horizon is a multi-story building (FirstCity Bank) with horizontal rows of windows. Right/east of that building the top of a water tower is just visible above trees. Three flags on poles are on the north side of West Main, at the edge of the bank parking lot. Motor vehicles are visible on all streets. Signs on buildings: FirstCity Bank, Barton & Howell Dry Cleaners, The Shoemaker Shoe Service, Ali's Master[?] Alterations, Custom Cloth[?]. Signs on poles: Pizza Villa, Central Center / Dry Cleaning, Laundry & Cleaning. Also: Street lights on poles, traffic signs and signals. Additional Information: Shown is the 300 block of West Main St. (which is Belt Line Rd east and west of the downtown area).
Elevated view of Main Street (Belt Line) from a water tower, looking southwest. The main commercial block has brick and wooden buildings, most with awnings, many with false fronts. Four cross streets are visible; Main Street curves off just at the right edge of the photograph. The railroad, with crossings signs, is in the horizontal center of the picture. Also visible are residences, a long storage/warehouse railroad structure to the left of Main Street and the Train Station to the right of Main Street. Automobiles are parked on the commercial block and are visible on Main Street. Plowed/cultivated fields and a few buildings are visible on the horizon.
View down an unpaved street, wheel tracks visible, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a 3 or 4 store row of false fronted buildings with awnings in front. Behind them is a single building with the gabled ends perpendicular to the street. A railroad crossing sign is visible. On the horizon is a large barn. Both sides of the street have electrical/utility poles. On the right is a row of buildings/stores with awnings, some with false fronts. It looks as if there is a cross street just in front of the blocks of buildings, with another at the railroad crossing sign. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Rds.
View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Those on the left side are more visible. Just the roof of one house is visible on the right. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. At the intersection, in the foreground of the picture, a street sign is on the left, and a fire hydrant is on the right. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the back of one car is on the right edge, in a driveway. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Intersection of two paved streets. A street sign at the left side of the photo reads "Abrams Rd" "and "Maple St." Houses on the left side of Maple St [center of the photograph] have light-colored roofs and front driveways. Most yards have small trees. There are no sidewalks. Two cars are on the street, and other cars are visible near the horizon, in driveways. Additional information: This is the 400 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Rd. Maple terminates on the east at Grace Dr. Many of the houses were built in 1953.
[This is a slightly different view of V 28b.] Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the one car is parked in a driveway on the right side. The left edge of the street has tire-tracks visible. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Copy of a photograph, a man and a woman, head and chest visible. The formal portrait is a horizontal oval mounted on stock. The man has a beard and moustache, is wearing a suitcoat and vest, with shirt and tie. The woman is wearing a dark dress, with dark moire satin bow at the neck, a brooch on her left side, and an earring visible on her left ear.
Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name." The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.
Barbershop interior, left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols. 1 sink, ceiling fan, several electric lights, 2 barber chairs. Flag bunting draped above mirror. Additional information: Left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols - Dallas Morning News 8/22/1984. Thomas Newton Harris, 30 Oct 1870 - 29 Jun 1952.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Decades listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Years? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.