Richardson Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Grissom Family and Residence, 1904, Richardson, Texas

Description: Seven people and one dog, standing at a gated fence in front of a two-story clapboard house. From left to right: Man with folded arms, wearing a hat and suit. Man with hands clasped in front, wearing a suit. Woman behind the fence (made of horizontal boards attached to wooden posts), wearing dark skirt, white blouse, pompadour hair-style. Woman behind gate, wearing light-colored clothing. Man sitting on large round fence post (or tree trunk), wearing brimmed hat tilted back. Woman wearing two-piece dress, with a wide dark/light striped pattern. Man, leaning on the fence, dark hat in his right hand, moustached. In front of him (blurred) is a light-colored dog. The house behind them is two-story, wood clad, with a closed dormer forming a roof for the porch. The front door, framed above and to the side by narrow windows, appears to be open. Trees are visible at both sides; a shed is just visible on the right edge of the picture.
Date: 1904
Creator: Imperial View Company
Item Type: Photograph

Harris, Thomas Newton, Family, Richardson, Texas

Description: Informal family group photograph, standing and seated on a side porch of a house. The porch extends around the corner of the building to the right. Visible on the right are fences and another building. Standing on the porch are three women, the first only partially visible, with a girl standing in front, one man in a three-piece suit, one young woman, a woman in profile, and two elderly women (7 women, one girl, one man). Seated in front, on the edge of the porch, is a moustached man in a suit and dark hat, and a younger man in military uniform with hat and leg gaiters. Additional information: Left to right, standing: possibly Evelyn HARRIS (hidden) Mattie E Strait HARRIS (1874-25 Sep 1971) Noma HARRIS [in front of mother Mattie] (15 Feb 1910 - 20 Jan 1987) married Leonard Allen HUFFHINES (8 Oct 1911 - 16 Sep 1988) Grace FOX Robert K. (Bob) HARRIS possibly Evelyn HARRIS Katherine Paulina L. HARRIS (1849-1928) widow of Samuel P. Harris (1831-1914) Emma Dooley Seated: Thomas Newton HARRIS (31 Oct 1870 - 27 Jun 1952) Joe HARRIS [?P. G. Harris?]
Date: 1917/1918
Item Type: Photograph

Sam Harben family and residence, Richardson, Texas

Description: 14 persons standing behind a white picket fence. Wooden frame house in back; the right-hand 2/3 has a covered porch with 3 doors and 2 windows visible. The people are: man, woman, woman, girl holding doll, man, woman, man, woman, young man, girl, woman, child standing on fence rail, man, young man/boy. All men are wearing hats.
Date: 1890/1910
Item Type: Photograph

Jesse Harben family, Richardson, Texas

Description: 5 people. Two women, one man standing in front of a stone wall structure. Two children, a boy wearing a white hat, and a girl, are seated in front of the man. The wall/structure appears to be made of large blocks of sandstone or limestone, cemented. Neither the side edges nor the top edge of the structure is visible. The location is possibly Kirkland Park. Written on back: LR- Jessie Blewett Harben Eula Huffhines Harben Jesse Harben [14 Dec 1888 - Oct 1973] Carson Harben Lucille Huffhines (?)
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph

Matt Turner and wife, Richardson, Texas

Description: Copy of a photograph, a man and a woman, head and chest visible. The formal portrait is a horizontal oval mounted on stock. The man has a beard and moustache, is wearing a suitcoat and vest, with shirt and tie. The woman is wearing a dark dress, with dark moire satin bow at the neck, a brooch on her left side, and an earring visible on her left ear.
Date: 1890/1910
Item Type: Photograph

Finis Ewing Allen Family and Residence, Richardson, Texas

Description: Large, two-story wood clad residence with wrap-around roofed porch. The center section of the porch has a balcony porch on the 2nd floor. Two benches are visible on the porch; the foundation is skirted with brick; the porch steps are concrete. A small pied horse is standing in front of the porch. Four people are on the porch, a man standing, a boy standing, a man seated, and a woman standing partially behind him. Left to right: ALLEN, Robert Clint. Born Feb 1893. ALLEN, Cecil Butler. Born Sept 1899. ALLEN, Finis Ewing. Born 21 Apr 1857, Pettis Co MO; died 6 Jan 1918, Richardson TX. Allen, Lelia Ashby Butler. Born May 1862 KY. Robert Clint Allen, standing, wearing coat and hat;
Date: 1909
Item Type: Photograph

C. H. Blewett Family and Residence, Richardson, Texas

Description: Man, woman, boy and three girls standing in front of wood clad residence. The one-story residence has a full, roofed porch and is raised on blocks with no skirting. A raised, plank walk leads to the front of the home. Left to right: BLEWETT, Chapman Hart. Born 25 Dec 1856, Richardson TX; died 24 May 1920; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, Mattie C. (Martha Corilla) Skiles. Born 23 Sep 1855, Warren Co. KY; died 16 Sep 1907/1920, Richardson TX; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. Married 8 Dec 1880, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, John William. Born 25 Apr 1882, died Mar 1968. BLEWETT, Jennie Bell. Born 31 Jan 1886, died 10 Aug 1952. BLEWETT, Mattie Laura. Born 1 Jun 1896, died 15 Jan 1955. BLEWETT, Jessie Lou "Jeb". Born 22 Dec 1887.
Date: 1898~
Item Type: Photograph

Campbell Family and Residence, Richardson, Texas

Description: Two men and 1 woman standing in front of a wood clad residence. The rear, roofed, porch is facing; the front porch is just visible on the far left of the photograph. From left to right: A man is standing in front of a dark horse. A small dog is perched on the hind-quarters of the horse. A man is standing in front of a small black and white dog. The dog is sitting on a wooden box/crate. A woman is standing at the front corner of the porch, beneath a medium tree. She is holding a palm fan.
Date: 1905~
Item Type: Photograph

McKamy Springs, Richardson, Texas

Description: Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name." The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.
Date: 1920/1930
Item Type: Photograph

Floyd Inn location, Richardson, Texas

Description: Large open field. In the foreground is a grouping of seven trees, with some shrubs or saplings, all growing in grass/weeds. Only the center tree, the one closest to the foreground, is leafed. Behind is a large open space, with cultivated areas visible on the horizon. On the left of the horizon is a large building, with a taller domed portion, part of Restland Cemetery. The note on the back states that the tree was planted in 1856. The Floyd Inn served as a stop for the stage from Dallas to Denton.
Date: 1973~
Item Type: Photograph

Main Street, with wagons, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Main Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, wheel tracks visible, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a 3 or 4 store row of false fronted buildings with awnings in front. Behind them is a single building with the gabled ends perpendicular to the street. A railroad crossing sign is visible. On the horizon is a large barn. Both sides of the street have electrical/utility poles. On the right is a row of buildings/stores with awnings, some with false fronts. It looks as if there is a cross street just in front of the blocks of buildings, with another at the railroad crossing sign. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Rds.
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph

Main Street, Elevated View, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of Main Street (Belt Line) from a water tower, looking southwest. The main commercial block has brick and wooden buildings, most with awnings, many with false fronts. Four cross streets are visible; Main Street curves off just at the right edge of the photograph. The railroad, with crossings signs, is in the horizontal center of the picture. Also visible are residences, a long storage/warehouse railroad structure to the left of Main Street and the Train Station to the right of Main Street. Automobiles are parked on the commercial block and are visible on Main Street. Plowed/cultivated fields and a few buildings are visible on the horizon.
Date: 1927
Item Type: Photograph

Main Street (Belt Line Rd) and Central Expressway (US Hwy 75) Intersection, 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Intersection of multi-lane, partially divided street with expressway access road. Motor vehicles are shown parked in a parking lot with angled parking. To the right/east is a strip of retail businesses. On the left/west is the northbound access road to an elevated portion of North Central Expressway. West Main Street extends under the Expressway. On the center horizon is a multi-story building (FirstCity Bank) with horizontal rows of windows. Right/east of that building the top of a water tower is just visible above trees. Three flags on poles are on the north side of West Main, at the edge of the bank parking lot. Motor vehicles are visible on all streets. Signs on buildings: FirstCity Bank, Barton & Howell Dry Cleaners, The Shoemaker Shoe Service, Ali's Master[?] Alterations, Custom Cloth[?]. Signs on poles: Pizza Villa, Central Center / Dry Cleaning, Laundry & Cleaning. Also: Street lights on poles, traffic signs and signals. Additional Information: Shown is the 300 block of West Main St. (which is Belt Line Rd east and west of the downtown area).
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph

Main Street at US Highway 75, Richardson, Texas

Description: Looking north west, the intersection of Main Street / Belt Line Rd. and the east-side frontage road of U. S. Highway 75 (Northbound). A pile of dirt/rocks is on the left foreground; center front is an eroded ditch that is covered by a concrete culvert at Main Street. Two cars are visible on Main Street, and 2 more are parked north of Main Street, on the right side of the photograph. Multiple real estate/housing development signs are on the intersection corners. Buildings are visible in the right background, through leafless trees and shrubs. Signs: Carter Built Homes - AZALEA PARK - Carter Const Co TEX-ANN Lutheran Church ...ier Homes - Mimosa & Cypress Drive ..5-2527 FINESSE HOMES
Date: 1958
Creator: Martin, Jerry
Item Type: Photograph

Texas Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street. Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door. This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.
Date: 1880/1905
Item Type: Photograph

Greenville Avenue, Elevated View 1927, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of Greenville Avenue, looking south, probably from Main Street. In the foreground, on the left, is the First United Presbyterian Church (originally the Trinity Congregation), with Polk St. behind it. The building was completed in 1910. On the right is the First United Methodist Church, which was built in 1898. One car is on Greenville Ave. A sidewalk runs along the right/west, side of Greenville Ave. In the background is Philips Street, with the Mount Calvary Baptist Church on the SE corner of the intersection, completed in 1886. The Richardson School building, opened in 1914, is on the SW corner. Greenville Avenue curves to the left/east at Philips. Numerous residences are also shown, as are utility poles.
Date: May 5, 1927
Item Type: Photograph

Greenville Avenue, Elevated View 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view, looking south, of Greenville Avenue starting from the Main Street intersection. On the near left/east is the Exterior Rolling Shutter Co. building, with an "L" shaped retail building behind, facing south and west. The spires of the First Baptist Church at Philips and Greenville are visible. On the right/west side of the street is the Din Hao Market, P&R Auto Supply, houses and trees. In the back, on the right, is the RISD Administration building and the large bus barn. On the horizon, from left to right, are the Abrams Centre building, built in 1982, downtown Dallas, and buildings along Central Expressway.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph

Arapaho Road at West Branch, Cottonwood Creek, Richardson, Texas

Description: Grade-level, iron trestle bridge over West Branch of Cottonwood Creek on Arapaho Road. The ends of the bridge spans have horizontal wooden boards attached. Arapaho Road appears to be hard gravel. In the background is the intersection with Martin Rd. (now West Shore Dr.), which extends right/north. The creek area is filled with trees. One utility pole is at the NW corner of the intersection. Beyond, to the horizon, appears to be a flat field.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Arapaho Road at North Central Expressway, Richardson, Texas

Description: Arapaho Road, east from North Central Expressway (U.S. Highway 75), taken from roadside between north-bound Central and its access road. A vehicle carrying earth-moving equipment is east-bound on Arapaho Road. At the SE corner of the intersection is a sign: "TURN LEFT FASCINATION HOMES NORTHRICH WEST." Five or six small trees are enclosed with a low fence on the right/south side of Arapaho. Further east is a gravel/cement/construction facility. On the left/north side of Arapaho are 2 houses. On the horizon a railroad crossing sign is visible, and a vehicle on the street at the horizon. Various utility lines and poles edge streets and the railroad.
Date: 1958~
Item Type: Photograph

Arapaho Road at North Central Expressway 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of the intersection of Arapaho Road and North Central Expressway, looking north. The elevated portion of the expressway is not paved; it only has support beams. Motor vehicles are stopped at the intersection. On the SE corner of the intersection is an Exxon gas station, behind is a sign and car lot for OK Used Cars; then the Texas Industries Concrete facility. On the horizon are the railroad and Greenville Avenue intersections with Arapaho Road. On the NE corner is the Super Motor Co., then the Decorator's Drapery Workroom. On the horizon, at the left side of the photograph, is the Ramada Renaissance Hotel (now the Richardson Hotel), built in 1986.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph

Polk Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east. The left center of the photograph shows the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek flowing east, then turning south under Polk Street. Sherman Street intersects with Polk Street just west of the creek. There is a small bridge, with low rails, over the creek. On the left are low, brushy, trees. On the right are three residences; the middle has an outbuilding. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central Ave., then the railroad crossing the street. On the horizon, one residence is visible, and two motor vehicles.
Date: 1958~
Creator: Martin, Jerry
Item Type: Photograph

Polk Street Bridge, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking north toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph