Richardson Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Pittman Street and Grove Road, 1968, Richardson, Texas

Description: Intersection of Pittman Street and Grove Road, looking northeast. Taken from Pittman Street, the photograph shows the NW corner of the "T" intersection (Pittman Street terminates). At the corner is the street sign, a fire hydrant, and a support cable for a utility pole. That corner of the intersection has concrete curbs and sidewalks. To the east of Grove Road is a large, cut/mowed. field. One small clump of trees is on the left, and a small area of un-cut grass/crop is on the right. The elevated railroad is on the horizon. Just visible above the hydrant is the railroad underpass on Frances Way. Low, long, light-colored roofs are behind the left portion of the railroad. Just left/north of the underpass, behind the railroad, is a water tower.
Date: November 25, 1968

Pittman Street, West from Abrams Road, 1959, Richardson, Texas

Description: Pittman Street, 400 block, looking west, from Abrams Road. This block of Pittman is paved, with curbs. Five houses are visible on the left/north side of Pittman. The houses with the white roofs were built ca 1953. The house with the darker rook has a chimney. The 300 block of Pittman, in the lower left corner, is blacktop, with no curbs. A school zone sign and the street sign are at the NE corner of the intersection.
Date: August 1959

Pittman Street, East from Abrams Road, 1959, Richardson, Texas

Description: Pittman Street, 300 block, looking east from Abrams Rd. The streets are blacktop with no curbs or sidewalks. Utility poles on the right/north side of Pittman carry lines to houses on both sides of the street. The home partially visible on the left has a television antenna attached. An alley, proceeding right/north, with a culvert, is on the right/north of the street. Large trees line the eastern portion of the street as it approaches the horizon.
Date: August 1959

Grove Road, Richardson, Texas

Description: Looking west, a plowed, bare field, with a street, Frances Way, and utility poles on the far right. At the horizon is a street, Grove Road, with homes on the west side, facing east. Homes on the west side of Grove were built ca 1954. Homes on the east side were not built until ca 1973.
Date: 1968~

Polk Street, 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east, slightly elevated, from the northbound access road of North Central Expressway. Polk Street is four lanes, with curbs and sidewalks. On either side are retail buildings: Business signs on the left: Auto Insurance 644-000; Ray Vernon Optician; Lee's Catfish. Two cars are moving east on Polk at Sherman Street. On the left horizon is the Southwestern Bell Telephone building. One bicycle rider is in the center of the street, moving east.
Date: 1988~

Polk Street at North Central Expressway, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking west, toward North Central Expressway, which is elevated. Polk Street terminates at the northbound access road of the Expressway. The center and right side of the picture show the grassy area between Polk Street and the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek. A concrete culvert is to the right of Polk Street, but the area over it is not paved. Two cars are stopped at the intersection, and the tops of two cars can be seen on the expressway. There are trees and utility poles and lines. On the right/north side of the photograph, behind/west of the expressway, is a water tower.
Date: August 1959

Polk Street and Central Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east. This photograph is a close-up view of the center of photograph RPL007d. The North Texas Lumber Company building on the right/south is between Central Street and the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo.
Date: unknown

Polk Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east. The bridge over the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek is on the right, next a residence, then the North Texas Lumber Company building at the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo. On the left/north side of Polk Street is a wide roadside area of short grass, some bushes, and then trees. In front (west of) the lumber building is Central Street.
Date: August 1959

Polk Street Bridge, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east from the bridge over the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, just east of the intersection with Sherman Street. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central St., then the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. A Southern Pacific boxcar is on the railroad, with an open, flatbed truck in front of it. A truck is partially visible on Central Street. Polk Street is blacktop with grass growing up to the street.
Date: unknown

Polk Street Bridge, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking northeast toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). The street sign is just to the left/west of the bridge. There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store. This photograph appears to have been taken at the same time as RPLv007a.
Date: August 1959

Polk Street Bridge, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking north toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store.
Date: August 1959

Polk Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east. The left center of the photograph shows the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek flowing east, then turning south under Polk Street. Sherman Street intersects with Polk Street just west of the creek. There is a small bridge, with low rails, over the creek. On the left are low, brushy, trees. On the right are three residences; the middle has an outbuilding. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central Ave., then the railroad crossing the street. On the horizon, one residence is visible, and two motor vehicles.
Date: 1958~
Creator: Martin, Jerry

Arapaho Road at North Central Expressway 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of the intersection of Arapaho Road and North Central Expressway, looking north. The elevated portion of the expressway is not paved; it only has support beams. Motor vehicles are stopped at the intersection. On the SE corner of the intersection is an Exxon gas station, behind is a sign and car lot for OK Used Cars; then the Texas Industries Concrete facility. On the horizon are the railroad and Greenville Avenue intersections with Arapaho Road. On the NE corner is the Super Motor Co., then the Decorator's Drapery Workroom. On the horizon, at the left side of the photograph, is the Ramada Renaissance Hotel (now the Richardson Hotel), built in 1986.
Date: 1988

Arapaho Road at North Central Expressway, Richardson, Texas

Description: Arapaho Road, east from North Central Expressway (U.S. Highway 75), taken from roadside between north-bound Central and its access road. A vehicle carrying earth-moving equipment is east-bound on Arapaho Road. At the SE corner of the intersection is a sign: "TURN LEFT FASCINATION HOMES NORTHRICH WEST." Five or six small trees are enclosed with a low fence on the right/south side of Arapaho. Further east is a gravel/cement/construction facility. On the left/north side of Arapaho are 2 houses. On the horizon a railroad crossing sign is visible, and a vehicle on the street at the horizon. Various utility lines and poles edge streets and the railroad.
Date: 1958~

Arapaho Road at West Branch, Cottonwood Creek, Richardson, Texas

Description: Grade-level, iron trestle bridge over West Branch of Cottonwood Creek on Arapaho Road. The ends of the bridge spans have horizontal wooden boards attached. Arapaho Road appears to be hard gravel. In the background is the intersection with Martin Rd. (now West Shore Dr.), which extends right/north. The creek area is filled with trees. One utility pole is at the NW corner of the intersection. Beyond, to the horizon, appears to be a flat field.
Date: unknown

Greenville Avenue, Elevated View 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view, looking south, of Greenville Avenue starting from the Main Street intersection. On the near left/east is the Exterior Rolling Shutter Co. building, with an "L" shaped retail building behind, facing south and west. The spires of the First Baptist Church at Philips and Greenville are visible. On the right/west side of the street is the Din Hao Market, P&R Auto Supply, houses and trees. In the back, on the right, is the RISD Administration building and the large bus barn. On the horizon, from left to right, are the Abrams Centre building, built in 1982, downtown Dallas, and buildings along Central Expressway.
Date: 1988

Greenville Avenue, Elevated View 1927, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of Greenville Avenue, looking south, probably from Main Street. In the foreground, on the left, is the First United Presbyterian Church (originally the Trinity Congregation), with Polk St. behind it. The building was completed in 1910. On the right is the First United Methodist Church, which was built in 1898. One car is on Greenville Ave. A sidewalk runs along the right/west, side of Greenville Ave. In the background is Philips Street, with the Mount Calvary Baptist Church on the SE corner of the intersection, completed in 1886. The Richardson School building, opened in 1914, is on the SW corner. Greenville Avenue curves to the left/east at Philips. Numerous residences are also shown, as are utility poles.
Date: May 5, 1927

Texas Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street. Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door. This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.
Date: 1880/1905

Main Street at US Highway 75, Richardson, Texas

Description: Looking north west, the intersection of Main Street / Belt Line Rd. and the east-side frontage road of U. S. Highway 75 (Northbound). A pile of dirt/rocks is on the left foreground; center front is an eroded ditch that is covered by a concrete culvert at Main Street. Two cars are visible on Main Street, and 2 more are parked north of Main Street, on the right side of the photograph. Multiple real estate/housing development signs are on the intersection corners. Buildings are visible in the right background, through leafless trees and shrubs. Signs: Carter Built Homes - AZALEA PARK - Carter Const Co TEX-ANN Lutheran Church ...ier Homes - Mimosa & Cypress Drive ..5-2527 FINESSE HOMES
Date: 1958
Creator: Martin, Jerry

Main Street (Belt Line Rd) and Central Expressway (US Hwy 75) Intersection, 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Intersection of multi-lane, partially divided street with expressway access road. Motor vehicles are shown parked in a parking lot with angled parking. To the right/east is a strip of retail businesses. On the left/west is the northbound access road to an elevated portion of North Central Expressway. West Main Street extends under the Expressway. On the center horizon is a multi-story building (FirstCity Bank) with horizontal rows of windows. Right/east of that building the top of a water tower is just visible above trees. Three flags on poles are on the north side of West Main, at the edge of the bank parking lot. Motor vehicles are visible on all streets. Signs on buildings: FirstCity Bank, Barton & Howell Dry Cleaners, The Shoemaker Shoe Service, Ali's Master[?] Alterations, Custom Cloth[?]. Signs on poles: Pizza Villa, Central Center / Dry Cleaning, Laundry & Cleaning. Also: Street lights on poles, traffic signs and signals. Additional Information: Shown is the 300 block of West Main St. (which is Belt Line Rd east and west of the downtown area).
Date: 1988

Main Street, Elevated View, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of Main Street (Belt Line) from a water tower, looking southwest. The main commercial block has brick and wooden buildings, most with awnings, many with false fronts. Four cross streets are visible; Main Street curves off just at the right edge of the photograph. The railroad, with crossings signs, is in the horizontal center of the picture. Also visible are residences, a long storage/warehouse railroad structure to the left of Main Street and the Train Station to the right of Main Street. Automobiles are parked on the commercial block and are visible on Main Street. Plowed/cultivated fields and a few buildings are visible on the horizon.
Date: 1927

Main Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, wheel tracks visible, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a 3 or 4 store row of false fronted buildings with awnings in front. Behind them is a single building with the gabled ends perpendicular to the street. A railroad crossing sign is visible. On the horizon is a large barn. Both sides of the street have electrical/utility poles. On the right is a row of buildings/stores with awnings, some with false fronts. It looks as if there is a cross street just in front of the blocks of buildings, with another at the railroad crossing sign. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Rds.
Date: 1910

Main Street, with wagons, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Date: unknown

Floyd Inn location, Richardson, Texas

Description: Large open field. In the foreground is a grouping of seven trees, with some shrubs or saplings, all growing in grass/weeds. Only the center tree, the one closest to the foreground, is leafed. Behind is a large open space, with cultivated areas visible on the horizon. On the left of the horizon is a large building, with a taller domed portion, part of Restland Cemetery. The note on the back states that the tree was planted in 1856. The Floyd Inn served as a stop for the stage from Dallas to Denton.
Date: 1973~