6 persons standing. 1 boy standing on porch. 2 men, 1 boy, 2 women standing in front of porch. Porch of house appears to cover front facade of building; swing visible on right behind women; wooden steps to porch. Written on back: Charlie and [?] Clara and 2nd boy ana [sic] Raymon youngest boy fronnt [sic] porch.
View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Polk Street, looking east. This photograph is a close-up view of the center of photograph RPL007d. The North Texas Lumber Company building on the right/south is between Central Street and the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo.
Polk Street, looking east from the bridge over the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, just east of the intersection with Sherman Street. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central St., then the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. A Southern Pacific boxcar is on the railroad, with an open, flatbed truck in front of it. A truck is partially visible on Central Street. Polk Street is blacktop with grass growing up to the street.
Exterior of garage, brick construction. Three Stratton brothers standing in front: left to right, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton, William Statler (Bill) Stratton. "Ford (tm) Authorized Service Station" sign on front. One gas pump in front of building.
One lane, paved alley with curve/intersection in foreground. Left of the alley is a raised railroad. Next to left edge of the alley are utility poles and lines. Storm drain access from the alley is at the foreground. Right of the alley is a continuous wooden fence, with roofs and trees behind the fencing. Two trash/garbage pick-up areas are visible, with raised platforms and metal trash cans. Additional information. Written on back: Looking north from the alley which serves Bowser showing fencing of residential properties Nov. 25, 1968
Frances Way, 500 block, looking east from the intersection with Lois Lane. The street is paved, with curbs and sidewalks. Houses are on both sides of the street, those on the right/south are partially visible. Most houses have front driveways. Three cars are parked on the street, and 2 cars are in driveways. There are trees, utility poles, and lines. A fire hydrant is on the NE corner of the intersection.
Grove Road, looking north, from the "T" intersection with Summit Drive, which terminates at Grove Road. On the horizon, left to center, is Frances Way. The elevated railroad, center to right, intersects Frances Way, and further north, Belt Line Rd., with underpasses. On the extreme right, a water tower is partially shown. The majority of the photograph is a large, mowed, field, extending north to Frances Way, and east/west, from Grove Road to the railroad. Homes and utility poles are on the left/west side of Grove Road. One truck and one car are on Grove; one car is parked on the right/east side of Grove; an eastbound car is on Frances Way, just east of the intersection.
Lois Lane, 400 block, north from the intersection with Spring Valley Road. The street is paved with curbs and sidewalks. One car is parked on the street; one covered boat is in front of a house on the left/west. The homes variously have front driveways, or circular driveways, or possibly rear driveways. The southern half of the block does not have utility poles on the street.
Cul-de-sac paved and curbed street (Pacific Circle), intersecting with paved and divided four-lane street (300 block, North Bowser Road). The street sign reads Bowser Rd and Pacific Cir [sign is incorrectly oriented]. Two houses, with front driveways, are visible; one car, a Volkswagen Beetle; 3 medium trees, various shrubs, utility poles and lines. The houses have chainlink fencing to their sides. Along the horizon, behind the houses, is the elevated railroad. Additional information. Written on back: Looking west into Pacific Circle. Note that street marker has been turned. Nov. 25, 1968
U-shaped paved and curbed street, intersecting a divided, four-lane, street (200 block, North Bowser Road). The u-shaped street (Palm Circle) has an island with low planting. Two houses, with front driveways and light-colored roofs, are on the street. Two cars are parked. A street sign shows Boswer Rd and Palm Cir. The houses are landscaped with small trees and shrubbery. Additional information: Written on back: Looking west into Palm Cir. showing railroad in the background Nov. 25, 1968
Intersection of Pittman Street and Grove Road, looking northeast. Taken from Pittman Street, the photograph shows the NW corner of the "T" intersection (Pittman Street terminates). At the corner is the street sign, a fire hydrant, and a support cable for a utility pole. That corner of the intersection has concrete curbs and sidewalks. To the east of Grove Road is a large, cut/mowed. field. One small clump of trees is on the left, and a small area of un-cut grass/crop is on the right. The elevated railroad is on the horizon. Just visible above the hydrant is the railroad underpass on Frances Way. Low, long, light-colored roofs are behind the left portion of the railroad. Just left/north of the underpass, behind the railroad, is a water tower.
Looking west, a plowed, bare field, with a street, Frances Way, and utility poles on the far right. At the horizon is a street, Grove Road, with homes on the west side, facing east. Homes on the west side of Grove were built ca 1954. Homes on the east side were not built until ca 1973.
Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Those on the left side are more visible. Just the roof of one house is visible on the right. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. At the intersection, in the foreground of the picture, a street sign is on the left, and a fire hydrant is on the right. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the back of one car is on the right edge, in a driveway. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Intersection of two paved streets. A street sign at the left side of the photo reads "Abrams Rd" "and "Maple St." Houses on the left side of Maple St [center of the photograph] have light-colored roofs and front driveways. Most yards have small trees. There are no sidewalks. Two cars are on the street, and other cars are visible near the horizon, in driveways. Additional information: This is the 400 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Rd. Maple terminates on the east at Grace Dr. Many of the houses were built in 1953.
[This is a slightly different view of V 28b.] Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the one car is parked in a driveway on the right side. The left edge of the street has tire-tracks visible. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Pittman Street, 300 block, looking east from Abrams Rd. The streets are blacktop with no curbs or sidewalks. Utility poles on the right/north side of Pittman carry lines to houses on both sides of the street. The home partially visible on the left has a television antenna attached. An alley, proceeding right/north, with a culvert, is on the right/north of the street. Large trees line the eastern portion of the street as it approaches the horizon.
Pittman Street, 400 block, looking west, from Abrams Road. This block of Pittman is paved, with curbs. Five houses are visible on the left/north side of Pittman. The houses with the white roofs were built ca 1953. The house with the darker rook has a chimney. The 300 block of Pittman, in the lower left corner, is blacktop, with no curbs. A school zone sign and the street sign are at the NE corner of the intersection.
Polk Street, looking west, toward North Central Expressway, which is elevated. Polk Street terminates at the northbound access road of the Expressway. The center and right side of the picture show the grassy area between Polk Street and the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek. A concrete culvert is to the right of Polk Street, but the area over it is not paved. Two cars are stopped at the intersection, and the tops of two cars can be seen on the expressway. There are trees and utility poles and lines. On the right/north side of the photograph, behind/west of the expressway, is a water tower.
Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking northeast toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). The street sign is just to the left/west of the bridge. There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store. This photograph appears to have been taken at the same time as RPLv007a.
Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking north toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store.
Polk Street, looking east. The bridge over the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek is on the right, next a residence, then the North Texas Lumber Company building at the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo. On the left/north side of Polk Street is a wide roadside area of short grass, some bushes, and then trees. In front (west of) the lumber building is Central Street.
Arapaho Road, east from North Central Expressway (U.S. Highway 75), taken from roadside between north-bound Central and its access road. A vehicle carrying earth-moving equipment is east-bound on Arapaho Road. At the SE corner of the intersection is a sign: "TURN LEFT FASCINATION HOMES NORTHRICH WEST." Five or six small trees are enclosed with a low fence on the right/south side of Arapaho. Further east is a gravel/cement/construction facility. On the left/north side of Arapaho are 2 houses. On the horizon a railroad crossing sign is visible, and a vehicle on the street at the horizon. Various utility lines and poles edge streets and the railroad.
Looking north west, the intersection of Main Street / Belt Line Rd. and the east-side frontage road of U. S. Highway 75 (Northbound). A pile of dirt/rocks is on the left foreground; center front is an eroded ditch that is covered by a concrete culvert at Main Street. Two cars are visible on Main Street, and 2 more are parked north of Main Street, on the right side of the photograph. Multiple real estate/housing development signs are on the intersection corners. Buildings are visible in the right background, through leafless trees and shrubs. Signs: Carter Built Homes - AZALEA PARK - Carter Const Co TEX-ANN Lutheran Church ...ier Homes - Mimosa & Cypress Drive ..5-2527 FINESSE HOMES
Polk Street, looking east. The left center of the photograph shows the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek flowing east, then turning south under Polk Street. Sherman Street intersects with Polk Street just west of the creek. There is a small bridge, with low rails, over the creek. On the left are low, brushy, trees. On the right are three residences; the middle has an outbuilding. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central Ave., then the railroad crossing the street. On the horizon, one residence is visible, and two motor vehicles.
Aerial view. Sun Oil Company Production Research & Development Lab. Two one-story buildings, connected by a covered walkway. The larger building, in the foreground, is "E" shaped; the smaller is rectangular. Parking lot between with cars. Storage tank. Housing development visible in background, telephone/electrical poles, no trees or landscaping.
Fred [P] Winkler (owner), Morgan Gant, Billy Giles, James Tune, Clarence Hastedt and Tillman Jones, youths Ronny Clark and Jackie Fielder, all wearing aprons, standing in an aisle. Assortment of groceries, some brand names visible, on left and right. Written on back: Fred Winkler, Morgan Gant, Billy Giles, James Tune, Clarence Hastedt and Tillman Jones. 1953. (2 youths, Ronny Clark and Jackie Fielder, standing in front) all wearing aprons. Additional information: [Richardson 1959-1960 Directory, paid listing: COUNTRY STORE, Fresh Meats and Groceries, 100 East Main Street, Fred P. Winkler, Owner, Phone ADams 5-5351]
Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Family group, informal portrait. 5 informal rows, some faces partially hidden. 52 faces visible, some partially. One torso, far right. Children seated in front. 2 women, center, appear to be wearing dark hats or bonnets with large black ribbons. 1 man, seated, holding hat, wears eye patch on right eye. Written on back: on back: about 1938 - Routh family reunion, Routh Home - Plano. BACK ROW: Vivian S Barron, Madge Carver Barron, Cecil Thornton Barron, Stanley J Jr Mendenhall, Stanley J Mendenhall, Stanton J Barron, Haskel Roach, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, Robert Webb, Roy Patton Howell, UNK, UNK SECOND ROW: John M Campbell, UNK, UNK, Pauline Mendenhall, Bertha Mendenhall, UNK, UNK, UNK, Rosa Routh, Clara Routh, Virginia Roach, Mildred C Rogers, Julia Mendenhall, Florence Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, UNK BOTTOM ROW: UNK, Mary Ann Coit, UNK, Louise Rogers, all others unidentified
Gulf gasoline station with covered drive-through, 4 pumps, 2 air compressors, corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue. Advertising pole with 2 lights. Tillman Jones standing in front of station; young child standing near building. Water tower in background. Additional information: Corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue.
Barbershop interior, left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols. 1 sink, ceiling fan, several electric lights, 2 barber chairs. Flag bunting draped above mirror. Additional information: Left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols - Dallas Morning News 8/22/1984. Thomas Newton Harris, 30 Oct 1870 - 29 Jun 1952.
Elevated view of Greenville Avenue, looking south, probably from Main Street. In the foreground, on the left, is the First United Presbyterian Church (originally the Trinity Congregation), with Polk St. behind it. The building was completed in 1910. On the right is the First United Methodist Church, which was built in 1898. One car is on Greenville Ave. A sidewalk runs along the right/west, side of Greenville Ave. In the background is Philips Street, with the Mount Calvary Baptist Church on the SE corner of the intersection, completed in 1886. The Richardson School building, opened in 1914, is on the SW corner. Greenville Avenue curves to the left/east at Philips. Numerous residences are also shown, as are utility poles.
Elevated view of Main Street (Belt Line) from a water tower, looking southwest. The main commercial block has brick and wooden buildings, most with awnings, many with false fronts. Four cross streets are visible; Main Street curves off just at the right edge of the photograph. The railroad, with crossings signs, is in the horizontal center of the picture. Also visible are residences, a long storage/warehouse railroad structure to the left of Main Street and the Train Station to the right of Main Street. Automobiles are parked on the commercial block and are visible on Main Street. Plowed/cultivated fields and a few buildings are visible on the horizon.
Four men standing outdoors. All are wearing dark trousers and white, long-sleeved shirts. From left to right, the first man wears glasses and a bow-tie, has a moustache, and is wearing sleeve garters. The other three wear long neck-ties. Pocket-watch chains are visible on the 3rd and 4th men. Behind them is an arbor or trellis with brushy growth on the top and on the right side. Additional information: The photograph is from the Grissom family collection, but no identification is available.
Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name." The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.
Left to right: William (Bill) Statler Stratton, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton. Visible on the left is the Model T they built from new and used parts. "Goodrich Tires - Best in the Long Run" sign hanging from the ceiling. Various machinery and parts.
Informal family group photograph, standing and seated on a side porch of a house. The porch extends around the corner of the building to the right. Visible on the right are fences and another building. Standing on the porch are three women, the first only partially visible, with a girl standing in front, one man in a three-piece suit, one young woman, a woman in profile, and two elderly women (7 women, one girl, one man). Seated in front, on the edge of the porch, is a moustached man in a suit and dark hat, and a younger man in military uniform with hat and leg gaiters. Additional information: Left to right, standing: possibly Evelyn HARRIS (hidden) Mattie E Strait HARRIS (1874-25 Sep 1971) Noma HARRIS [in front of mother Mattie] (15 Feb 1910 - 20 Jan 1987) married Leonard Allen HUFFHINES (8 Oct 1911 - 16 Sep 1988) Grace FOX Robert K. (Bob) HARRIS possibly Evelyn HARRIS Katherine Paulina L. HARRIS (1849-1928) widow of Samuel P. Harris (1831-1914) Emma Dooley Seated: Thomas Newton HARRIS (31 Oct 1870 - 27 Jun 1952) Joe HARRIS [?P. G. Harris?]
Studio portrait of three boys, from mid-chest. Left: youngest, wearing light-colored wide-collared, buttoned shirt or romper. Center: middle in age, wearing white, long-sleeved shirt with medium stripes and dark neck-tie. Left: oldest, wearing light-colored shirt, perhaps with woven textured stripes, and dark neck-tie. Additional information: Sons of William Lee GRISSON (27 Oct 1879 AL - 29 Jan 1949 TX) and Mollie Sandifer GRISSOM (11 Jan 1882 TX - 16 Jun 1972 TX) from left to right: Jack Kendal GRISSOM (7 Jul 1911 Plano TX - 27 May 1981 Garland TX) Murray Amos GRISSOM (19 Oct 1908 Plano TX - 4 Jan 1971 Dallas TX) Park Lee GRISSOM (16 Oct 1906 Plano TX - 25 Feb 1982 Allen TX) source: "The Family of Park L. Grissom" by Mozelle Grissom, 1981 [unpublished document]
Bill Strait, standing in supply room. Racks of wooden-cased telephones visible. Handwritten on back: "Hello Boys" [signed] Bill Strait Mr. Strait was the lineman, and his wife was the operator, ca. 1916.
Interior view of Harben's Drug Store. Four men are visible, the one on the far right is Sam Harben. Ads for various patent medicines including Mentholatum and Cardui are legible. Floor and ceiling are finished wood. There is a counter partly visible with four metal stools. Six glass display cases and two electric ceiling fans are visible. Noted on back of photo - Sam Harben on right, early 1900s. Additional information: Cardui was a patent medicine used to reduce menstrual problems. It was 19% alcohol and included Blessed Thistle, Black Haw and Golden Seal.
Four men standing in store interior. Left to right: Jess Harben behind counter (partially obscured), Mr. Hennessee, Mr. Farrell (being served by Mr. Harben), Kenneth Stratton. Display shelves and counters on right, rear, and left. Soda-fountain type chairs, tables, and stools in center. Large sign for TANLAC attached to rear display case. Written on back: Harben's Drug - 1912 Jess Harben, Mr. Fred Farrell, Mr Hennessee & Keith Stratton Additional information: Tanlac Tonic - with alcohol, gentian, buckthorn, rhubarb, licorice, glycerin, wild cherry - US prohibition era "system purifier", was popular due to its 15% alcohol content
5 children - studio portrait. Rita Mae, holding Jack. Ima, standing. Robert seated, wearing suit. Mary, seated in front. Written on back: on back of picture: John & Lezze Campbell Family ca 1910. Rita holding Jack (McGuire) deceased. Ima (standing) (Forman. Robert deceased. Mary C. (Harrison). Jack deceased. Roma - the baby not yet born when (Smithwick) picture was made (deceased).]
Huguley cotton gin, wood frame building. 9 men standing, 1 man seated in 1-horse buggy - in front of building. Abe (Abraham) M. Cain (wearing apron), 4th from left. 2 barrels, 1 saw-horse, construction materials visible. Additional information: Abe (Abraham) M. Cain, son of William Daniel & Fannie Cain, was an early alderman, went to work at age 13; did carpentry, built many buildings including the red [brick] school [administration] building. "Huguley" sometimes spelled Hugley.
5 people. Two women, one man standing in front of a stone wall structure. Two children, a boy wearing a white hat, and a girl, are seated in front of the man. The wall/structure appears to be made of large blocks of sandstone or limestone, cemented. Neither the side edges nor the top edge of the structure is visible. The location is possibly Kirkland Park. Written on back: LR- Jessie Blewett Harben Eula Huffhines Harben Jesse Harben [14 Dec 1888 - Oct 1973] Carson Harben Lucille Huffhines (?)
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Decades listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Years? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.