Family group, informal portrait. 5 informal rows, some faces partially hidden. 52 faces visible, some partially. One torso, far right. Children seated in front. 2 women, center, appear to be wearing dark hats or bonnets with large black ribbons. 1 man, seated, holding hat, wears eye patch on right eye. Written on back: on back: about 1938 - Routh family reunion, Routh Home - Plano. BACK ROW: Vivian S Barron, Madge Carver Barron, Cecil Thornton Barron, Stanley J Jr Mendenhall, Stanley J Mendenhall, Stanton J Barron, Haskel Roach, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, Robert Webb, Roy Patton Howell, UNK, UNK SECOND ROW: John M Campbell, UNK, UNK, Pauline Mendenhall, Bertha Mendenhall, UNK, UNK, UNK, Rosa Routh, Clara Routh, Virginia Roach, Mildred C Rogers, Julia Mendenhall, Florence Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, UNK BOTTOM ROW: UNK, Mary Ann Coit, UNK, Louise Rogers, all others unidentified
Formal studio portrait. Three men, in dark suits, white shirts, and long neckties, standing behind two seated women. Both women wear dark skirts and white blouses with standing ruffled collars, possibly trimmed in lace. The woman on the right wears a dark ribbon around the collar. The woman on the left wears a dark, open jacket with ribbon trim at collar and cuffs. Additional information: Children of Park Lee GRISSOM (24 Aug 1854 - 10 Feb 1938) and Mary Jennie COFFEE (5 Sep 1852 - 6 Apr 1912) Left to right - Pat, Guss, Will (standing) Rebecca, Ada (seated) Pat GRISSOM [?Richard Clint GRISSOM?] (20 May 1882 AL - 3 Jul 1948 TX) married Ollie Mae CROSS Guss Eugene GRISSOM (19 Jul 1889 AL - 12 Aug 1969 TX) married Allie Bell BOGGS William Lee GRISSOM (27 Oct 1879 AL - 29 Jan 1949 TX) married Mollie SANDIFER Rebecca Bell GRISSOM (15 Jul 1884 AL - 12 Aug 1962 TX) married Robert Tremble PREWITT Ada Coloeman GRISSOM (23 Feb 1877 AL - 6 May 1950 AL) married Minor HARAWAY
Informal family group photograph, standing and seated on a side porch of a house. The porch extends around the corner of the building to the right. Visible on the right are fences and another building. Standing on the porch are three women, the first only partially visible, with a girl standing in front, one man in a three-piece suit, one young woman, a woman in profile, and two elderly women (7 women, one girl, one man). Seated in front, on the edge of the porch, is a moustached man in a suit and dark hat, and a younger man in military uniform with hat and leg gaiters. Additional information: Left to right, standing: possibly Evelyn HARRIS (hidden) Mattie E Strait HARRIS (1874-25 Sep 1971) Noma HARRIS [in front of mother Mattie] (15 Feb 1910 - 20 Jan 1987) married Leonard Allen HUFFHINES (8 Oct 1911 - 16 Sep 1988) Grace FOX Robert K. (Bob) HARRIS possibly Evelyn HARRIS Katherine Paulina L. HARRIS (1849-1928) widow of Samuel P. Harris (1831-1914) Emma Dooley Seated: Thomas Newton HARRIS (31 Oct 1870 - 27 Jun 1952) Joe HARRIS [?P. G. Harris?]
14 persons standing behind a white picket fence. Wooden frame house in back; the right-hand 2/3 has a covered porch with 3 doors and 2 windows visible. The people are: man, woman, woman, girl holding doll, man, woman, man, woman, young man, girl, woman, child standing on fence rail, man, young man/boy. All men are wearing hats.
5 people. Two women, one man standing in front of a stone wall structure. Two children, a boy wearing a white hat, and a girl, are seated in front of the man. The wall/structure appears to be made of large blocks of sandstone or limestone, cemented. Neither the side edges nor the top edge of the structure is visible. The location is possibly Kirkland Park. Written on back: LR- Jessie Blewett Harben Eula Huffhines Harben Jesse Harben [14 Dec 1888 - Oct 1973] Carson Harben Lucille Huffhines (?)
Four men standing outdoors. All are wearing dark trousers and white, long-sleeved shirts. From left to right, the first man wears glasses and a bow-tie, has a moustache, and is wearing sleeve garters. The other three wear long neck-ties. Pocket-watch chains are visible on the 3rd and 4th men. Behind them is an arbor or trellis with brushy growth on the top and on the right side. Additional information: The photograph is from the Grissom family collection, but no identification is available.
Arapaho Road, east from North Central Expressway (U.S. Highway 75), taken from roadside between north-bound Central and its access road. A vehicle carrying earth-moving equipment is east-bound on Arapaho Road. At the SE corner of the intersection is a sign: "TURN LEFT FASCINATION HOMES NORTHRICH WEST." Five or six small trees are enclosed with a low fence on the right/south side of Arapaho. Further east is a gravel/cement/construction facility. On the left/north side of Arapaho are 2 houses. On the horizon a railroad crossing sign is visible, and a vehicle on the street at the horizon. Various utility lines and poles edge streets and the railroad.
Two men and 1 woman standing in front of a wood clad residence. The rear, roofed, porch is facing; the front porch is just visible on the far left of the photograph. From left to right: A man is standing in front of a dark horse. A small dog is perched on the hind-quarters of the horse. A man is standing in front of a small black and white dog. The dog is sitting on a wooden box/crate. A woman is standing at the front corner of the porch, beneath a medium tree. She is holding a palm fan.
Large open field. In the foreground is a grouping of seven trees, with some shrubs or saplings, all growing in grass/weeds. Only the center tree, the one closest to the foreground, is leafed. Behind is a large open space, with cultivated areas visible on the horizon. On the left of the horizon is a large building, with a taller domed portion, part of Restland Cemetery. The note on the back states that the tree was planted in 1856. The Floyd Inn served as a stop for the stage from Dallas to Denton.
Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street. Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door. This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.
Copy of a photograph, a man and a woman, head and chest visible. The formal portrait is a horizontal oval mounted on stock. The man has a beard and moustache, is wearing a suitcoat and vest, with shirt and tie. The woman is wearing a dark dress, with dark moire satin bow at the neck, a brooch on her left side, and an earring visible on her left ear.
Man, woman, boy and three girls standing in front of wood clad residence. The one-story residence has a full, roofed porch and is raised on blocks with no skirting. A raised, plank walk leads to the front of the home. Left to right: BLEWETT, Chapman Hart. Born 25 Dec 1856, Richardson TX; died 24 May 1920; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, Mattie C. (Martha Corilla) Skiles. Born 23 Sep 1855, Warren Co. KY; died 16 Sep 1907/1920, Richardson TX; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. Married 8 Dec 1880, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, John William. Born 25 Apr 1882, died Mar 1968. BLEWETT, Jennie Bell. Born 31 Jan 1886, died 10 Aug 1952. BLEWETT, Mattie Laura. Born 1 Jun 1896, died 15 Jan 1955. BLEWETT, Jessie Lou "Jeb". Born 22 Dec 1887.
Polk Street, looking east. The left center of the photograph shows the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek flowing east, then turning south under Polk Street. Sherman Street intersects with Polk Street just west of the creek. There is a small bridge, with low rails, over the creek. On the left are low, brushy, trees. On the right are three residences; the middle has an outbuilding. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central Ave., then the railroad crossing the street. On the horizon, one residence is visible, and two motor vehicles.
Polk Street, looking east, slightly elevated, from the northbound access road of North Central Expressway. Polk Street is four lanes, with curbs and sidewalks. On either side are retail buildings: Business signs on the left: Auto Insurance 644-000; Ray Vernon Optician; Lee's Catfish. Two cars are moving east on Polk at Sherman Street. On the left horizon is the Southwestern Bell Telephone building. One bicycle rider is in the center of the street, moving east.
Looking west, a plowed, bare field, with a street, Frances Way, and utility poles on the far right. At the horizon is a street, Grove Road, with homes on the west side, facing east. Homes on the west side of Grove were built ca 1954. Homes on the east side were not built until ca 1973.
9 people standing on a steam tractor or attached gang plow. 2 women, three children, 4 men. The woman standing farthest right is veiled. The rear of the tractor is visible, in a partially plowed field. 2 women, 2 man, and 1 child (girl) are holding levers used to raise and lower the plows. Written on back of photo: Henry William Coit & family, steam tractor & plow, Renner Tex., Early 1900's. 5/24/1985 donated Henry W. Coit.
5 children - studio portrait. Rita Mae, holding Jack. Ima, standing. Robert seated, wearing suit. Mary, seated in front. Written on back: on back of picture: John & Lezze Campbell Family ca 1910. Rita holding Jack (McGuire) deceased. Ima (standing) (Forman. Robert deceased. Mary C. (Harrison). Jack deceased. Roma - the baby not yet born when (Smithwick) picture was made (deceased).]
Studio Portrait. 3 children standing, 2 boys, 1 girl. Man & woman seated, 1 young man seated. Written on back: Front Row - left to right: W. H. Chick (Uncle Will); John W. Chick (Grandpa); Frances Angelina Chick (Grandma); C. B. Chick (my father). back row - Robert L. Chick (Uncle Bob); Sarah Elizabeth Chick (Aunt Sallie)(Mrs. C. C. Huffhines)
5 children; 3 in buggy; 1 standing, with black dog; 1 standing on harness shaft. Single seat buggy; 1 horse Additional information: Children of John Meade CAMPBELL and Elizabeth Semonie Haynes CAMPBELL: Rita Mae 1895-1976, Ima Meade 1898-, Robert Haynes 1900-, Mary Winnie 1904-, Jack 1907-, Roma 1912-.
Richardson Public Library looking southeast from the corner of Arapaho Road and Civic Center Drive. Red and white azaleas in foreground. Cars visible in parking lot. Civic Center [City Hall] building and water tower visible in right background.
White brick masonry multi-story, multi-level building. The tallest, center portion has a sign at the top, RICHARDSON MEDICAL CENTER B. B. OWEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL. This center portion is flanked on both sides by the main portion of the building, which is shorter and has vertical columns of windows. In the front of the picture is the lowest portion of the building, with ground-level windows and one inset doorway. The doorway and windows are partially hidden by curving lines of low shrubs in the picture foreground. Portions of equipment, perhaps ventilation, are visible on roof areas. Additional information: Dallas Morning News, Dec. 18, 1975 "A 5-story hospital, scheduled for completion in August, 1977, will be built at 401 W. Campbell Rd. ... The building contract was given to J. A. Jones Construction Co." The hospital was dedicated Saturday, May 27, 1977. It was named in memory of Dallas businessman B. B. Owen. The hospital opened for business Tuesday, May 30, 1977. Bennie Bryan Owen was born on September 11, 1897, in Cisco, Eastland County. As a young man, he moved to Dallas County where he was principally involved with investments and investment loans. He was also involved in agriculture as he owned land in Dallas County. In the late 1960s, Owen moved to Collin County where he made his residence until his death on April 24, 1972.
Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Huguley cotton gin, wood frame building. 9 men standing, 1 man seated in 1-horse buggy - in front of building. Abe (Abraham) M. Cain (wearing apron), 4th from left. 2 barrels, 1 saw-horse, construction materials visible. Additional information: Abe (Abraham) M. Cain, son of William Daniel & Fannie Cain, was an early alderman, went to work at age 13; did carpentry, built many buildings including the red [brick] school [administration] building. "Huguley" sometimes spelled Hugley.
Barbershop interior, left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols. 1 sink, ceiling fan, several electric lights, 2 barber chairs. Flag bunting draped above mirror. Additional information: Left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols - Dallas Morning News 8/22/1984. Thomas Newton Harris, 30 Oct 1870 - 29 Jun 1952.
Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name." The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.
Woman switchboard operator, seated at manual switchboard, wearing earphones. Pictures on wall, including advertisement for Remington typewriter with female typist. Numerous wires and connectors visible. The woman has been identified variously as Stella Moody, Mayfair Griffin, and Mrs. Strait, wife of Bill Strait, telephone lineman.
Oliver Harben standing; Mayfair? Griffin, operator, sitting in front of telephone switchboard equipment; Mattie Lucas Lawler Blewett Parks sitting against wall. Tall cabinet in foreground. Written on back: Written on back: Oliver Harben [standing], Mayfair? Griffin [sitting, wearing headphones], Mattie Lucas Lawler Blewett Parks [sitting]
Bill Strait, standing in supply room. Racks of wooden-cased telephones visible. Handwritten on back: "Hello Boys" [signed] Bill Strait Mr. Strait was the lineman, and his wife was the operator, ca. 1916.
View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Elevated view of Greenville Avenue, looking south, probably from Main Street. In the foreground, on the left, is the First United Presbyterian Church (originally the Trinity Congregation), with Polk St. behind it. The building was completed in 1910. On the right is the First United Methodist Church, which was built in 1898. One car is on Greenville Ave. A sidewalk runs along the right/west, side of Greenville Ave. In the background is Philips Street, with the Mount Calvary Baptist Church on the SE corner of the intersection, completed in 1886. The Richardson School building, opened in 1914, is on the SW corner. Greenville Avenue curves to the left/east at Philips. Numerous residences are also shown, as are utility poles.
Photograph of Births page [unnumbered] from the Thomas/Routh family Bible. Text: FAMILY RECORD. BIRTHS James Thomas was Born May 11th 1822 E. A. Gray " " April 27th 1825 John T Thomas " " May 29 1842 Sarah E. Thomas " " January 11th 1844 E. J. Routh " " June 21st 1828 Oliver Thomas " " May 25th 1855 Mary T. Thomas " " August 25th 1856 Clara E. Thomas " " March 21st 1858 Martha Thomas " " November 23rd 1859 Jeff D. Thomas " " March 27th 1861 William O. Thomas " " October 9th 1865 James C. Thomas " " October 20th 1870
Seven people and one dog, standing at a gated fence in front of a two-story clapboard house. From left to right: Man with folded arms, wearing a hat and suit. Man with hands clasped in front, wearing a suit. Woman behind the fence (made of horizontal boards attached to wooden posts), wearing dark skirt, white blouse, pompadour hair-style. Woman behind gate, wearing light-colored clothing. Man sitting on large round fence post (or tree trunk), wearing brimmed hat tilted back. Woman wearing two-piece dress, with a wide dark/light striped pattern. Man, leaning on the fence, dark hat in his right hand, moustached. In front of him (blurred) is a light-colored dog. The house behind them is two-story, wood clad, with a closed dormer forming a roof for the porch. The front door, framed above and to the side by narrow windows, appears to be open. Trees are visible at both sides; a shed is just visible on the right edge of the picture.
Aerial view. Sun Oil Company Production Research & Development Lab. Two one-story buildings, connected by a covered walkway. The larger building, in the foreground, is "E" shaped; the smaller is rectangular. Parking lot between with cars. Storage tank. Housing development visible in background, telephone/electrical poles, no trees or landscaping.
Brick storefront, with curved corrugated metal awning. Three sets of double opening doors, with smaller glass panes above. "The Citizens State Bank" painted on one of the middle set of doors. Bill Stratton, age 6, and Newt Harris standing in and in front of right hand set of doors. Angled tall counter visible through the opened left pair of doors. Brick sidewalk in front, dirt street visible with double board walkway across. Written on back: Daddy, 6yrs ( Bill Stratton) & Uncle Newt Harris, 1906
Exterior of garage, brick construction. Three Stratton brothers standing in front: left to right, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton, William Statler (Bill) Stratton. "Ford (tm) Authorized Service Station" sign on front. One gas pump in front of building.
Gulf gasoline station with covered drive-through, 4 pumps, 2 air compressors, corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue. Advertising pole with 2 lights. Tillman Jones standing in front of station; young child standing near building. Water tower in background. Additional information: Corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue.
Cotton gin, two-story wooden frame building. Four 2-horsedrawn wagons containing cotton. 15 men visible. Telephone pole in foreground. Numerous outbuildings. Additional information: Telephone service in Richardson was established in 1900.
Left to right: William (Bill) Statler Stratton, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton. Visible on the left is the Model T they built from new and used parts. "Goodrich Tires - Best in the Long Run" sign hanging from the ceiling. Various machinery and parts.
Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Those on the left side are more visible. Just the roof of one house is visible on the right. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. At the intersection, in the foreground of the picture, a street sign is on the left, and a fire hydrant is on the right. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the back of one car is on the right edge, in a driveway. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Interior view of Harben's Drug Store. Four men are visible, the one on the far right is Sam Harben. Ads for various patent medicines including Mentholatum and Cardui are legible. Floor and ceiling are finished wood. There is a counter partly visible with four metal stools. Six glass display cases and two electric ceiling fans are visible. Noted on back of photo - Sam Harben on right, early 1900s. Additional information: Cardui was a patent medicine used to reduce menstrual problems. It was 19% alcohol and included Blessed Thistle, Black Haw and Golden Seal.
Intersection of two paved streets. A street sign at the left side of the photo reads "Abrams Rd" "and "Maple St." Houses on the left side of Maple St [center of the photograph] have light-colored roofs and front driveways. Most yards have small trees. There are no sidewalks. Two cars are on the street, and other cars are visible near the horizon, in driveways. Additional information: This is the 400 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Rd. Maple terminates on the east at Grace Dr. Many of the houses were built in 1953.
[This is a slightly different view of V 28b.] Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the one car is parked in a driveway on the right side. The left edge of the street has tire-tracks visible. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Decades listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Years? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.