Richardson Public Library - 84 Matching Results

Search Results

Texas Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street. Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door. This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.
Date: 1880/1905

Matt Turner and wife, Richardson, Texas

Description: Copy of a photograph, a man and a woman, head and chest visible. The formal portrait is a horizontal oval mounted on stock. The man has a beard and moustache, is wearing a suitcoat and vest, with shirt and tie. The woman is wearing a dark dress, with dark moire satin bow at the neck, a brooch on her left side, and an earring visible on her left ear.
Date: 1890/1910

C. H. Blewett Family and Residence, Richardson, Texas

Description: Man, woman, boy and three girls standing in front of wood clad residence. The one-story residence has a full, roofed porch and is raised on blocks with no skirting. A raised, plank walk leads to the front of the home. Left to right: BLEWETT, Chapman Hart. Born 25 Dec 1856, Richardson TX; died 24 May 1920; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, Mattie C. (Martha Corilla) Skiles. Born 23 Sep 1855, Warren Co. KY; died 16 Sep 1907/1920, Richardson TX; buried Blewett Cemetery, Richardson TX. Married 8 Dec 1880, Richardson TX. BLEWETT, John William. Born 25 Apr 1882, died Mar 1968. BLEWETT, Jennie Bell. Born 31 Jan 1886, died 10 Aug 1952. BLEWETT, Mattie Laura. Born 1 Jun 1896, died 15 Jan 1955. BLEWETT, Jessie Lou "Jeb". Born 22 Dec 1887.
Date: 1898~

Polk Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east. The left center of the photograph shows the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek flowing east, then turning south under Polk Street. Sherman Street intersects with Polk Street just west of the creek. There is a small bridge, with low rails, over the creek. On the left are low, brushy, trees. On the right are three residences; the middle has an outbuilding. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central Ave., then the railroad crossing the street. On the horizon, one residence is visible, and two motor vehicles.
Date: 1958~
Creator: Martin, Jerry

Polk Street, 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east, slightly elevated, from the northbound access road of North Central Expressway. Polk Street is four lanes, with curbs and sidewalks. On either side are retail buildings: Business signs on the left: Auto Insurance 644-000; Ray Vernon Optician; Lee's Catfish. Two cars are moving east on Polk at Sherman Street. On the left horizon is the Southwestern Bell Telephone building. One bicycle rider is in the center of the street, moving east.
Date: 1988~

Grove Road, Richardson, Texas

Description: Looking west, a plowed, bare field, with a street, Frances Way, and utility poles on the far right. At the horizon is a street, Grove Road, with homes on the west side, facing east. Homes on the west side of Grove were built ca 1954. Homes on the east side were not built until ca 1973.
Date: 1968~

Henry William Coit and family, Renner, Texas

Description: 9 people standing on a steam tractor or attached gang plow. 2 women, three children, 4 men. The woman standing farthest right is veiled. The rear of the tractor is visible, in a partially plowed field. 2 women, 2 man, and 1 child (girl) are holding levers used to raise and lower the plows. Written on back of photo: Henry William Coit & family, steam tractor & plow, Renner Tex., Early 1900's. 5/24/1985 donated Henry W. Coit.
Date: 1900/1910

Children of John and Elizabeth (Lezze) Campbell, Richardson, Texas

Description: 5 children - studio portrait. Rita Mae, holding Jack. Ima, standing. Robert seated, wearing suit. Mary, seated in front. Written on back: on back of picture: John & Lezze Campbell Family ca 1910. Rita holding Jack (McGuire) deceased. Ima (standing) (Forman. Robert deceased. Mary C. (Harrison). Jack deceased. Roma - the baby not yet born when (Smithwick) picture was made (deceased).]
Date: 1910~

John W. Chick Family, Richardson, Texas

Description: Studio Portrait. 3 children standing, 2 boys, 1 girl. Man & woman seated, 1 young man seated. Written on back: Front Row - left to right: W. H. Chick (Uncle Will); John W. Chick (Grandpa); Frances Angelina Chick (Grandma); C. B. Chick (my father). back row - Robert L. Chick (Uncle Bob); Sarah Elizabeth Chick (Aunt Sallie)(Mrs. C. C. Huffhines)
Date: 1880/1890

Richardson Medical Center, B. B. Owen Memorial Hospital, Richardson, Texas

Description: White brick masonry multi-story, multi-level building. The tallest, center portion has a sign at the top, RICHARDSON MEDICAL CENTER B. B. OWEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL. This center portion is flanked on both sides by the main portion of the building, which is shorter and has vertical columns of windows. In the front of the picture is the lowest portion of the building, with ground-level windows and one inset doorway. The doorway and windows are partially hidden by curving lines of low shrubs in the picture foreground. Portions of equipment, perhaps ventilation, are visible on roof areas. Additional information: Dallas Morning News, Dec. 18, 1975 "A 5-story hospital, scheduled for completion in August, 1977, will be built at 401 W. Campbell Rd. ... The building contract was given to J. A. Jones Construction Co." The hospital was dedicated Saturday, May 27, 1977. It was named in memory of Dallas businessman B. B. Owen. The hospital opened for business Tuesday, May 30, 1977. Bennie Bryan Owen was born on September 11, 1897, in Cisco, Eastland County. As a young man, he moved to Dallas County where he was principally involved with investments and investment loans. He was also involved in agriculture as he owned land in Dallas County. In the late 1960s, Owen moved to Collin County where he made his residence until his death on April 24, 1972.
Date: 1975/1977

First Christian Church, Richardson, Texas

Description: Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Date: 1940/1958

Huguley Gin, Richardson, Texas

Description: Huguley cotton gin, wood frame building. 9 men standing, 1 man seated in 1-horse buggy - in front of building. Abe (Abraham) M. Cain (wearing apron), 4th from left. 2 barrels, 1 saw-horse, construction materials visible. Additional information: Abe (Abraham) M. Cain, son of William Daniel & Fannie Cain, was an early alderman, went to work at age 13; did carpentry, built many buildings including the red [brick] school [administration] building. "Huguley" sometimes spelled Hugley.
Date: 1910/1915

Newt Harris Barber Shop, Richardson, Texas

Description: Barbershop interior, left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols. 1 sink, ceiling fan, several electric lights, 2 barber chairs. Flag bunting draped above mirror. Additional information: Left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols - Dallas Morning News 8/22/1984. Thomas Newton Harris, 30 Oct 1870 - 29 Jun 1952.
Date: 1930/1935

McKamy Springs, Richardson, Texas

Description: Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name." The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.
Date: 1920/1930

Telephone Switchboard, Richardson, Texas

Description: Woman switchboard operator, seated at manual switchboard, wearing earphones. Pictures on wall, including advertisement for Remington typewriter with female typist. Numerous wires and connectors visible. The woman has been identified variously as Stella Moody, Mayfair Griffin, and Mrs. Strait, wife of Bill Strait, telephone lineman.
Date: 1900~

Main Street, with wagons, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Date: unknown