Barbershop interior, left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols. 1 sink, ceiling fan, several electric lights, 2 barber chairs. Flag bunting draped above mirror. Additional information: Left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols - Dallas Morning News 8/22/1984. Thomas Newton Harris, 30 Oct 1870 - 29 Jun 1952.
Cul-de-sac paved and curbed street (Pacific Circle), intersecting with paved and divided four-lane street (300 block, North Bowser Road). The street sign reads Bowser Rd and Pacific Cir [sign is incorrectly oriented]. Two houses, with front driveways, are visible; one car, a Volkswagen Beetle; 3 medium trees, various shrubs, utility poles and lines. The houses have chainlink fencing to their sides. Along the horizon, behind the houses, is the elevated railroad. Additional information. Written on back: Looking west into Pacific Circle. Note that street marker has been turned. Nov. 25, 1968
U-shaped paved and curbed street, intersecting a divided, four-lane, street (200 block, North Bowser Road). The u-shaped street (Palm Circle) has an island with low planting. Two houses, with front driveways and light-colored roofs, are on the street. Two cars are parked. A street sign shows Boswer Rd and Palm Cir. The houses are landscaped with small trees and shrubbery. Additional information: Written on back: Looking west into Palm Cir. showing railroad in the background Nov. 25, 1968
Intersection of Pittman Street and Grove Road, looking northeast. Taken from Pittman Street, the photograph shows the NW corner of the "T" intersection (Pittman Street terminates). At the corner is the street sign, a fire hydrant, and a support cable for a utility pole. That corner of the intersection has concrete curbs and sidewalks. To the east of Grove Road is a large, cut/mowed. field. One small clump of trees is on the left, and a small area of un-cut grass/crop is on the right. The elevated railroad is on the horizon. Just visible above the hydrant is the railroad underpass on Frances Way. Low, long, light-colored roofs are behind the left portion of the railroad. Just left/north of the underpass, behind the railroad, is a water tower.
Pittman Street, 300 block, looking east from Abrams Rd. The streets are blacktop with no curbs or sidewalks. Utility poles on the right/north side of Pittman carry lines to houses on both sides of the street. The home partially visible on the left has a television antenna attached. An alley, proceeding right/north, with a culvert, is on the right/north of the street. Large trees line the eastern portion of the street as it approaches the horizon.
Pittman Street, 400 block, looking west, from Abrams Road. This block of Pittman is paved, with curbs. Five houses are visible on the left/north side of Pittman. The houses with the white roofs were built ca 1953. The house with the darker rook has a chimney. The 300 block of Pittman, in the lower left corner, is blacktop, with no curbs. A school zone sign and the street sign are at the NE corner of the intersection.
Polk Street, looking east, slightly elevated, from the northbound access road of North Central Expressway. Polk Street is four lanes, with curbs and sidewalks. On either side are retail buildings: Business signs on the left: Auto Insurance 644-000; Ray Vernon Optician; Lee's Catfish. Two cars are moving east on Polk at Sherman Street. On the left horizon is the Southwestern Bell Telephone building. One bicycle rider is in the center of the street, moving east.
Polk Street, looking east. This photograph is a close-up view of the center of photograph RPL007d. The North Texas Lumber Company building on the right/south is between Central Street and the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo.
Polk Street, looking west, toward North Central Expressway, which is elevated. Polk Street terminates at the northbound access road of the Expressway. The center and right side of the picture show the grassy area between Polk Street and the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek. A concrete culvert is to the right of Polk Street, but the area over it is not paved. Two cars are stopped at the intersection, and the tops of two cars can be seen on the expressway. There are trees and utility poles and lines. On the right/north side of the photograph, behind/west of the expressway, is a water tower.
Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking northeast toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). The street sign is just to the left/west of the bridge. There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store. This photograph appears to have been taken at the same time as RPLv007a.
Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking north toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store.
Polk Street, looking east from the bridge over the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, just east of the intersection with Sherman Street. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central St., then the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. A Southern Pacific boxcar is on the railroad, with an open, flatbed truck in front of it. A truck is partially visible on Central Street. Polk Street is blacktop with grass growing up to the street.
Polk Street, looking east. The left center of the photograph shows the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek flowing east, then turning south under Polk Street. Sherman Street intersects with Polk Street just west of the creek. There is a small bridge, with low rails, over the creek. On the left are low, brushy, trees. On the right are three residences; the middle has an outbuilding. To the back, on the right/south side of Polk Street, is the North Texas Lumber Co. building, Central Ave., then the railroad crossing the street. On the horizon, one residence is visible, and two motor vehicles.
Polk Street, looking east. The bridge over the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek is on the right, next a residence, then the North Texas Lumber Company building at the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo. On the left/north side of Polk Street is a wide roadside area of short grass, some bushes, and then trees. In front (west of) the lumber building is Central Street.
Post card with photo of early Post Office. The structure is a small wood one story building with one door. In front are two women - one [Aunt Sarah Allen, third post master] seated in a rocking chair and one holding a baby - and a man. On the right side of the post office is a white picket fence. Other unidentified buildings are visible in the background. The ground immediately in front of the building is dirt, but grass and bushes are visible to the sides. Written on back: "Made in 1906", "Pearl Schults", "Please return to Mrs. Jake K. Stults", "donated by Grissom". Note with post card states "Aunt Sarah Allen third post master" with no explanation. Additional information: The first Post Office was established September 27, 1858. Before, mail was tossed into a barrel in the general store and residents picked out their own mail.
Four men standing in store interior. Left to right: Jess Harben behind counter (partially obscured), Mr. Hennessee, Mr. Farrell (being served by Mr. Harben), Kenneth Stratton. Display shelves and counters on right, rear, and left. Soda-fountain type chairs, tables, and stools in center. Large sign for TANLAC attached to rear display case. Written on back: Harben's Drug - 1912 Jess Harben, Mr. Fred Farrell, Mr Hennessee & Keith Stratton Additional information: Tanlac Tonic - with alcohol, gentian, buckthorn, rhubarb, licorice, glycerin, wild cherry - US prohibition era "system purifier", was popular due to its 15% alcohol content
White brick masonry multi-story, multi-level building. The tallest, center portion has a sign at the top, RICHARDSON MEDICAL CENTER B. B. OWEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL. This center portion is flanked on both sides by the main portion of the building, which is shorter and has vertical columns of windows. In the front of the picture is the lowest portion of the building, with ground-level windows and one inset doorway. The doorway and windows are partially hidden by curving lines of low shrubs in the picture foreground. Portions of equipment, perhaps ventilation, are visible on roof areas. Additional information: Dallas Morning News, Dec. 18, 1975 "A 5-story hospital, scheduled for completion in August, 1977, will be built at 401 W. Campbell Rd. ... The building contract was given to J. A. Jones Construction Co." The hospital was dedicated Saturday, May 27, 1977. It was named in memory of Dallas businessman B. B. Owen. The hospital opened for business Tuesday, May 30, 1977. Bennie Bryan Owen was born on September 11, 1897, in Cisco, Eastland County. As a young man, he moved to Dallas County where he was principally involved with investments and investment loans. He was also involved in agriculture as he owned land in Dallas County. In the late 1960s, Owen moved to Collin County where he made his residence until his death on April 24, 1972.
Richardson Public Library looking southeast from the corner of Arapaho Road and Civic Center Drive. Red and white azaleas in foreground. Cars visible in parking lot. Civic Center [City Hall] building and water tower visible in right background.
Oliver Harben standing; Mayfair? Griffin, operator, sitting in front of telephone switchboard equipment; Mattie Lucas Lawler Blewett Parks sitting against wall. Tall cabinet in foreground. Written on back: Written on back: Oliver Harben [standing], Mayfair? Griffin [sitting, wearing headphones], Mattie Lucas Lawler Blewett Parks [sitting]
Bill Strait, standing in supply room. Racks of wooden-cased telephones visible. Handwritten on back: "Hello Boys" [signed] Bill Strait Mr. Strait was the lineman, and his wife was the operator, ca. 1916.
Family group, informal portrait. 5 informal rows, some faces partially hidden. 52 faces visible, some partially. One torso, far right. Children seated in front. 2 women, center, appear to be wearing dark hats or bonnets with large black ribbons. 1 man, seated, holding hat, wears eye patch on right eye. Written on back: on back: about 1938 - Routh family reunion, Routh Home - Plano. BACK ROW: Vivian S Barron, Madge Carver Barron, Cecil Thornton Barron, Stanley J Jr Mendenhall, Stanley J Mendenhall, Stanton J Barron, Haskel Roach, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, Robert Webb, Roy Patton Howell, UNK, UNK SECOND ROW: John M Campbell, UNK, UNK, Pauline Mendenhall, Bertha Mendenhall, UNK, UNK, UNK, Rosa Routh, Clara Routh, Virginia Roach, Mildred C Rogers, Julia Mendenhall, Florence Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, UNK BOTTOM ROW: UNK, Mary Ann Coit, UNK, Louise Rogers, all others unidentified
14 persons standing behind a white picket fence. Wooden frame house in back; the right-hand 2/3 has a covered porch with 3 doors and 2 windows visible. The people are: man, woman, woman, girl holding doll, man, woman, man, woman, young man, girl, woman, child standing on fence rail, man, young man/boy. All men are wearing hats.
Exterior of garage, brick construction. Three Stratton brothers standing in front: left to right, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton, William Statler (Bill) Stratton. "Ford (tm) Authorized Service Station" sign on front. One gas pump in front of building.
Left to right: William (Bill) Statler Stratton, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton. Visible on the left is the Model T they built from new and used parts. "Goodrich Tires - Best in the Long Run" sign hanging from the ceiling. Various machinery and parts.
Aerial view. Sun Oil Company Production Research & Development Lab. Two one-story buildings, connected by a covered walkway. The larger building, in the foreground, is "E" shaped; the smaller is rectangular. Parking lot between with cars. Storage tank. Housing development visible in background, telephone/electrical poles, no trees or landscaping.
Woman switchboard operator, seated at manual switchboard, wearing earphones. Pictures on wall, including advertisement for Remington typewriter with female typist. Numerous wires and connectors visible. The woman has been identified variously as Stella Moody, Mayfair Griffin, and Mrs. Strait, wife of Bill Strait, telephone lineman.
Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street. Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door. This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.
Photograph of Births page [unnumbered] from the Thomas/Routh family Bible. Text: FAMILY RECORD. BIRTHS James Thomas was Born May 11th 1822 E. A. Gray " " April 27th 1825 John T Thomas " " May 29 1842 Sarah E. Thomas " " January 11th 1844 E. J. Routh " " June 21st 1828 Oliver Thomas " " May 25th 1855 Mary T. Thomas " " August 25th 1856 Clara E. Thomas " " March 21st 1858 Martha Thomas " " November 23rd 1859 Jeff D. Thomas " " March 27th 1861 William O. Thomas " " October 9th 1865 James C. Thomas " " October 20th 1870
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Decades listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Years? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.