Sammy Brown Library

The mission of the Sammy Brown Library is to improve the lives of the people of Panola County by providing free resources that enhance and contribute to individual knowledge, enlightenment, and enjoyment. In 1948, a group of women formed a service group called the Carthage Junior League. The Junior Service League wanted to improve the quality of life in their community by providing a library. Starting in 1958, these thirteen dedicated women raised over $10,000 through tireless effort and fundraisers and were finally able to purchase and open the Service League Library on a permanent basis in 1963.

The original Carthage telephone office was purchased by the Carthage Service League from the Chamber of Commerce at a price of $1,000, and in 1961 was moved onto the lot where it still stands today. Today, the Carthage Service League is still an intricate part of the library and its members play a vital part in the success of our library. Proceeds from the Service League Thrift Shop, located on the square in Carthage, directly benefit the Sammy Brown Library.

Contact

Reference

903.693.6741

mpowell@sammybrown.org

Address

319 S. Market
Carthage, TX 75633



At a Glance