Silsbee Public Library

History

Silsbee was first referred to as Mill Town when the site was first reached by the Gulf, Beaumont, and Kansas City Railway in 1894. The town was renamed in recognition of Nathaniel Silsbee, an investor from Boston, Massachusetts, who helped provide funds for the railway. The railroad was a project of John Henry Kirby who would soon establish the Kirby Lumber Company in the city. This business would be the main employer and strength of the Silsbee economy from the city’s beginning.

The Silsbee Public Library received a 2015-2016 Tocker Foundation grant to include its newspaper, The Silsbee Bee, on The Portal to Texas History.

Contact

City Manager

(409) 385-4831

citymanager@cityofsilsbee.com

Address

295 North 4th St
Silsbee, TX 77656



At a Glance