This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.

Sanger Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Chamber of Commerce Saturday drawing]

Description: Many people gather in downtown Sanger each Saturday for a cash drawing. Entries for the drawing were obtained by making a purchase from participating merchants during the preceding week. George W. (Speedy) Sullivan, standing on truck conducting the drawing. George A. Sullivan standing arms akimbo with straw hat.
Date: 1920~

[Bolivar Street, Sanger, Texas]

Description: Downtown Sanger looking east along Bolivar Street from the corner on Fifth Street. The native stone wall marks the edge of the square.
Date: 1942~

Kimbell Mill and Elevator

Description: Elevator, mill and residence located on the east side of 2nd Street between Pecan and Plum Streets.
Date: 1955~

Home of Silk Finish Flour, Sanger, Texas

Description: Aerial picture of mill, yard and outbuildings located on the east side of 2nd Street between Pecan and Plum Streets.. The mill was established in 1897.
Date: 1940~

[John & Lela Cafe]

Description: Ice storm hits cafe on the SW corner of 5th & Bolivar. Coca Cola signs displayed prominently.
Date: January 26, 1949

[First National Bank]

Description: Building on the corner of 3rd and Bolivar Streets. In 1899 Mr. Berry came to Sanger and with B.L. and J. W. Spencer bought the Farmers Bank of Sanger, changing the name to Farmers & Merchants Bank. It was chartered as First National Bank of Sanger in 1905.
Date: 1920~

[First National Bank lobby]

Description: Ballard Powell, Gwen Beeman Pate (Mrs. Hugh), and A.M. Beeman (taller man) stand behind the counter of the First National Bank in Sanger, Texas.
Date: 1937~/1943~

[Sanger Dry Goods Store]

Description: Interior of store with ladies hats displayed prominently. Mr. Andrews, Mrs. Waide, Mr. Collins, and Mr. McNiel.
Date: 1910~

[Ella Warren's Insurance Office]

Description: Office in back part of First National Bank. Pictured are "Miss Ella" Warren with her partner RW Walten, Curtis Warren and Rev. J.L. Ratcliff Pastor of First Baptist Church. "Miss Ella" was the first woman in Sanger to receive the outstanding citizen award.
Date: 1923

[Gaskins Drug Store]

Description: Gaskins Drug Store, NE corner of 3rd and Bolivar streets. Shows typical soda fountain. At register: W H Gaskin, on his right: Duncan Davidson, opposite them: Dan Davis, Jeweler
Date: 1912~

[Jeweler Dan Davis]

Description: Interior of Gaskin Drug Store shows glass display case holding watches and jewery. Magazine rack in the foreground and Cigar poster on the wall flank Dan Davis, who not only sold, but also repaired watches.
Date: 1910~

[Dr. Wall and Dan Davis]

Description: Outside of store displaying Coca Cola sign, Dr. Wall (Dentist) & Dan Davis are mock fighting for the camera.
Date: 1915~

[Gentle Ambulance]

Description: Man, woman and child in front seat of an ambulance with two nurses and the "patient" in back. Probably a 1928 Cadillac limousine.
Date: 1930~

[Gipson & Babb General Store]

Description: Front of Gipson & Babb Drugs & General Merchandise in Hunt County. Five men in western dress on front porch, one man on horseback. Hand made signs for ice cold drinks and one for long distance telephone.
Date: 1915~

First Baptist Church - Sanger, Texas

Description: Stone building that later housed the Landmark Baptist Church. Building is located on the southeast corner of Cherry and 4th Streets.
Date: 1955~

[Sanger Presbyterian Church]

Description: Early photo of Sanger Presbyterian Church with original roofline. The gable to the left of the steeple was later removed. The building was built in 1902.
Date: 1920~

[Sanger Presbyterian Church / Sanger Public Library]

Description: Originally in 1902 built to serve as a Presbyterian Church. It was donated to the city, and housed the public library from 1972 to 1995. Historical marker describes the history of the congregation rather than the building.
Date: 1980~

[Grading Bolivar Street]

Description: Tractors, one possibly steam, grading the road. Early wooden structures and one brick or stone building on right. Man on left is Dr. Ervin Howard, first doctor in Sanger. May 23, 1892
Date: May 23, 1892

[Post Office, Sanger, Texas]

Description: Group includes (from left): H.D. Green, postmaster, Effie Green, Mrs H.D. Green, Tyler Green, Cleburne Warren, mail carrier, John Vaughn, mail carrier, Curtis Warren, mail carrier. The Post Office was located at east end of Dunn building on the north east corner of Bolivar and 4th Streets.
Date: 1910~

Sanger Fire Department (Part 1 of 2)

Description: Firemen and their trucks, March 19, 1927. Listed on second photograph , from left to right, George A. Sullivan, Chas Milligan, W. D. Lewis, Glen Rieger, A. H. Haynie, A. L. Gentle, W. B. Chambers, Jno McClendon, R.E. Gentle, H. W. Ezell, Jno Hughes, Otis Jones and Chief Bud Gentle. Members not in the picture: Butler Boydstun, Chester Ausband, Jeff Cornett, and Jim Kline. The top of the Sanger School is seen in the background.
Date: March 19, 1927
Creator: Chas. E. Carruth

Sanger Fire Department (Part 2 of 2)

Description: Firemen and their fire trucks, March 19, 1927. Sanger Fire Department members from left to right: Otis Jones, Chief Bud Gentle (standing), A. G. Nance, Joe Hughes, Alton Gentle, S. C. Moore, L. B. Daniels, D. C. Gheens, G. W. Sullivan, Troy Stinson, Elmer Hulse, Jack McReynolds, Jno Richardson. Members not in the picture Butler Boydstun, Chester Ausband, Jeff Cornett and Jim Kline. Taken on the square in Sanger, looking north.
Date: March 19, 1927
Creator: Chas. E Carruth

[First public water tower]

Description: Dan Davis and Charlie Henderson owned and operated the first public water utility and electric power plant in Sanger. This water tank on wooden platform and tower, with work sheds and picket fence in foreground was built in 1906. It was on the south east corner of 4th and Locust Streets.
Date: 1910~