Sanger Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Dismantling old water tower, full shot]

Description: The crane is in place to dismantle the minicipal water tower. Originally purchased October 15, 1923 for $5,650 from Pittsburgh - Des Moines Steel Co. Dallas, TX. Held 50,000 gallons of water.
Date: March 15, 1999
Creator: Henderson, John

[Bolivar Street, Sanger, Texas]

Description: Downtown Sanger looking east along Bolivar Street from the corner on Fifth Street. The native stone wall marks the edge of the square.
Date: c. 1942

[Chamber of Commerce Saturday drawing]

Description: Many people gather in downtown Sanger each Saturday for a cash drawing. Entries for the drawing were obtained by making a purchase from participating merchants during the preceding week. George W. (Speedy) Sullivan, standing on truck conducting the drawing. George A. Sullivan standing arms akimbo with straw hat.
Date: c. 1920

[Dr. Wall and Dan Davis]

Description: Outside of store displaying Coca Cola sign, Dr. Wall (Dentist) & Dan Davis are mock fighting for the camera.
Date: c. 1915

First Baptist Church - Sanger, Texas

Description: Stone building that later housed the Landmark Baptist Church. Building is located on the southeast corner of Cherry and 4th Streets.
Date: c. 1955

[First National Bank]

Description: Building on the corner of 3rd and Bolivar Streets. In 1899 Mr. Berry came to Sanger and with B.L. and J. W. Spencer bought the Farmers Bank of Sanger, changing the name to Farmers & Merchants Bank. It was chartered as First National Bank of Sanger in 1905.
Date: c. 1920

[First National Bank lobby]

Description: Ballard Powell, Gwen Beeman Pate (Mrs. Hugh), and A.M. Beeman (taller man) stand behind the counter of the First National Bank in Sanger, Texas.
Date: c. 1937 - 1943

[First public water tower]

Description: Dan Davis and Charlie Henderson owned and operated the first public water utility and electric power plant in Sanger. This water tank on wooden platform and tower, with work sheds and picket fence in foreground was built in 1906. It was on the south east corner of 4th and Locust Streets.
Date: c. 1910

[Gaskins Drug Store]

Description: Gaskins Drug Store, NE corner of 3rd and Bolivar streets. Shows typical soda fountain. At register: W H Gaskin, on his right: Duncan Davidson, opposite them: Dan Davis, Jeweler
Date: c. 1912

[Gentle Ambulance]

Description: Man, woman and child in front seat of an ambulance with two nurses and the "patient" in back. Probably a 1928 Cadillac limousine.
Date: c. 1930

[Gipson & Babb General Store]

Description: Front of Gipson & Babb Drugs & General Merchandise in Hunt County. Five men in western dress on front porch, one man on horseback. Hand made signs for ice cold drinks and one for long distance telephone.
Date: c. 1915

[Goodview School students and teachers]

Description: Small brick schoolhouse with thirty students and four (?) teachers. The building was located on the southeast corner of Metz and View Roads. Front row: First three unidentified, Alfred Coggins, J.C. Barnes, ___Barnes, Ouida Miller Anderson, Bernice Wade, Helen Christian, unknown, Junior Stinson, four unknown, Foy Stinson, Coy Stinson Second row: Nellie Mae Christian, J.B. Wise, Orville Andrews, Lemon Ausband, Bethany Waide, Pearl Lanier Klum, Charlie Mae Stinson, Louise Gilbert, Gibson Lanier, unknown, Gladys Baker, Joe Bob Farrell, unknown. Back row: Frances Barnes, Alyne Seale, Mildred Touchstone, unknown
Date: c. 1925

Home of Silk Finish Flour, Sanger, Texas

Description: Aerial picture of mill, yard and outbuildings located on the east side of 2nd Street between Pecan and Plum Streets.. The mill was established in 1897.
Date: c. 1940

[Jeweler Dan Davis]

Description: Interior of Gaskin Drug Store shows glass display case holding watches and jewery. Magazine rack in the foreground and Cigar poster on the wall flank Dan Davis, who not only sold, but also repaired watches.
Date: c. 1910

Kimbell Mill and Elevator

Description: Elevator, mill and residence located on the east side of 2nd Street between Pecan and Plum Streets.
Date: c. 1955

Municipal Light and Power

Description: Two story city power plant, water tower and 1938 Dodge truck. Building is located on the southwest corner of Bolivar and 2nd Streets.
Date: c. 1955

[Post Office, Sanger, Texas]

Description: Group includes (from left): H.D. Green, postmaster, Effie Green, Mrs H.D. Green, Tyler Green, Cleburne Warren, mail carrier, John Vaughn, mail carrier, Curtis Warren, mail carrier. The Post Office was located at east end of Dunn building on the north east corner of Bolivar and 4th Streets.
Date: c. 1910

Public School - Sanger, Texas

Description: The new brick wing added to the old building on Elm Street. A similar wing was added on the east side. This wing and the old building burned in the 1980s.
Date: c. 1955

[Sanger Dry Goods Store]

Description: Interior of store with ladies hats displayed prominently. Mr. Andrews, Mrs. Waide, Mr. Collins, and Mr. McNiel.
Date: c. 1910