Portion of the interior of the fort is shown. Old Fort Parker is a reconstructed fort that pays tribute to the Parker family and other pioneers who paid a high price to settle in Texas. The Parkers and other members of their church came to Texas from Crawford County, Illinois in 1833. In 1832, Daniel Parker, a staunch theologian, had gained permission to settle in Texas. After organizing those who wanted to go to Texas into the Predestinarian Baptist Church, they all left Illinois in July of 1833 in ox- drawn wagons. Daniel and the majority of his followers settled near the present City of Elkhart, where a replica of their Pilgrim Baptist Church still stands in their memory. Other members of the group preferred to settle farther west, near the Navasota River. Elder John Parker and three of his sons (Silas, James, and Benjamin) began in December 1833 to clear land and to construct "Parker's Fort." On May 19, 1836, Comanche Indians attacked the fort; 5 were killed, 5 were captured, and the 21 survivors made their way to where Palestine is today. The most famous of the captives was Cynthia Ann Parker. She adapted to Indian ways and later married Chief Peta Nocona. Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche chief, who was involved in the Battle of Palo Duro Canyon, was the most famous of their three children.
Portrait of James Allison Owens, father of James Powell Owens. He was born in Riceville, Tenn. on Nov. 26, 1866. He was the grandfather of James Couts Owens. He moved to Weatherford in May of 1894. He is buried in Weatherford Cemetery.
Isaac Parker (April 7, 1793 – April 14, 1883) is the son of John and Sarah Parker. He served under Andrew Jackson in the Creek Wars. He served in Captain Elisha Clapp's Company in 1836 and in 1841 participated in the Village Creek fight with the Indians in Tarrant County. He helped bury John B. Denton, who was killed in the fight. Isaac was a member of the Texas House from 1838-1841. He introduced the legislation creating Parker County. Senator Jefferson Weatherford introduced the bill in the Senate. Parker moved to Parker County in 1872 and settled on a farm eight miles northeast of Weatherford. He died there on April 14, 1883. The monument says: "Pioneer, soldier, and law maker. Born April 7, 1793 in Elbert County, Georgia. Came to Texas in 1833. Served in Elisha Clapp's Company in 1836. Member of Congress of the Republic of Texas 1839 - 1845; of the Constitutional Convention in 1845. State Senator. Died April 14, 1883, in Parker County."
Women in the Woodman's Circle in front of a building that is a combination general store and a lodge hall. The building was located on the Brawley homestead in the Roberts community in Northern Parker County. The lower half of the building housed a general store, which was run by Oscar Hill. The upper half served as the meeting hall for the Woodsmen of the World Lodge.