UNT Libraries - 65 Matching Results

Search Results

Fayette County Courthouse, cornerstone detail
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. The text on the cornerstone reads "Fayette County, April 9th 1891, J.R. Gordon, Architect, Martin Burns & Johnsen, Builders." There is also a masonic symbol, "La Fayette Lodge, No. 34, A.F. & A.M., A. L. 5891."
Fayette County Courthouse, detail of stonework.
Photograph of the stonework at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It includes Belton white limestone, blue sandstone quarried near Muldoon, and Red Pecos sandstone.
Fayette County Courthouse, detail of windows
Photograph of the windows at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. The glass is set into red wood, and there are wooden shutters inside. There are carved stone squares between each level of windows.
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange
Photograph of a meridian stone on the grounds of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads "Fayette Co. Meridian, erected A.D. 1878"
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "Lost Pine Tree. "I dedicate this tree to the people of Fayette County, their historic past, ambitious present, and glorious future." Lady Bird Johnson, July 7, 1867. Through the efforts of congressman J.J. "Jake" Pickle, 10th Congressional District and others, the above dedication was made possible."
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "County Commissioners Court, 1967, County Judge, Ike J. Petras; Commissioners: Gunther Behrens, Precinct 1; Clinton P. Krause, Precinct 2; Eddie Zouzalik, Precinct 3; Henry Dittrich, Precinct 4 ".
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post on the ground of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "County Heritage: Fayette County was settled by members of the Old Three-Hundred, and created from Bastrop and Colorado Counties. It was named for the Marquis de LaFayette, and the county seat for his chateau in France. With dedication and perseverance, our forefathers gave the county its rich heritage and a prominent place in history. The Mier Expedition and Dawson's Company contributed to its early historical background, and the remains of these courageous men now lie on Monument Hill. The county has contributed many of its young men to keep the peace of this great nation, and this edifice will stand as a monument to their loyalty, courage, and sacrifice."
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "Fayette County, Texas, Created by an act of Congress, Republic of Texas, December 14, 1837".
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "County Officials, 1838. Chief Justice, Andrew Rabb; County Clerk, David S. Kornegay; Sheriff, John Breeding; Tax Assessor, Michael R. Goheen; County Surveyor, Thomas Green; Coroner, Socrates Darling; District Clerk, Jerome B. Alexander".
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, the Dawson Memorial
Photograph of the Dawson Memorial on the Fayette County Courthouse grounds in La Grange. It reads: "Erected by the state of Texas to the memory of her defenders. Captain N. H. Dawson and his command, who fell at the Battle of Salado Texas, Sept. 18th, 1842. (Correction) Captain Nicholas Mosby Dawson and 36 other volunteers were killed near Salado Creek in Bexar County."
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, the Dawson Memorial
Photograph of the Dawson Memorial on the Fayette County Courthouse grounds in La Grange. It reads: "To the memory of the men who drew the black bean and were shot at Salado, Mexico, March 24th, 1843."
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, the Dawson Memorial
Photograph of the Dawson Memorial on the Fayette County Courthouse grounds in La Grange. This side reads "Dawson's Men." Local businesses pictured in the background include Gold Crown Hallmark, City Grocery, Exxon, and Schmidt Jewelry.
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, the Dawson Memorial
Photograph of the Dawson Memorial on the ground of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It says "Mier Prisoners."
Fayette County Courthouse, La Grange
Photograph of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. The photo was taken looking upwards at the flagpole mounted on a corner of the building.
Fayette County Courthouse, La Grange
Photograph of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. The building is made of stone, and the doors of wood.
Fayette County Courthouse, La Grange
Photograph of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange from the front. It is a four-story building made of white and red stones with a clock tower at the top. The Dawson Memorial stands on the sidewalk leading to the entrance. There are hedges and trees on both sides of the walk.
Fayette County Courthouse, La Grange
Photograph of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It is a four-story building made of white and red stone with a clock tower at the top. A Texas flag flies from the left corner of the courthouse, and other buildings can be seen in the background.
Fayette County Courthouse, La Grange, detail of clocktower
Photograph of the clock tower of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. There is a window with yellow shutters under the clock face, and under the window there is carved stone. The roof is green, and there is a weathervane at its point.
Fayette County Korean and Vietnam Veterans plaque
Photograph of a Veterans Memorial in Fayette County. It reads: "Korean Veterans: Lowell W. Greenwood, William L. Guyton, Harvey E. Holub, Edward P. Machala, Charlie J. Mares, Edgar E. Michalek, William D. Ware, Oscar Williams. Vietnam Veterans: Jackson Dillon Barnes, Edward Hugo Beyer, Edgar J. Brossman, Harold Paul Degner, Floyd Wayne Kaase, Arnold John Kulhanek, Robert James Stavinoha, Willie Ray Thompson, Robert E. Urbanovsky, Gerald J. Walla."
Fayette County Veterans Memorial
Photograph of the Fayette County Veterans Memorial, housed in a small brick structure. It reads: "No greater sacrifice can be made by the citizens of a democratic nation than to serve in its armed forces in times of war or in times of peace. Fayette County proudly honors and pays tribute to its citizens who accepted the call to arms and served gallantly in securing freedom for the state of Texas and maintaining it for their nation throughout history."
Fayette County Veterans Memorial
Photograph of the back wall of the brick structure that houses the Fayette County Veterans Memorial. It reads: "Dedicated on Veterans Day, 1987, to the citizens of Fayette County who served in the Armed Forces of the United States. Especially those men and women who gave their lives in defending their country. This memorial symbolizes the importance of service in the Armed Forces. The names of all Fayette Countians who served so bravely are publicly displayed inside the courthouse."
Fayette County Veterans Memorial
Photograph of the Fayette County Veterans Memorial, housed in a small brick structure. It reads: "No greater sacrifice can be made by the citizens of a democratic nation than to serve in its armed forces in times of war or in times of peace. Fayette County proudly honors and pays tribute to its citizens who accepted the call to arms and served gallantly in securing freedom for the state of Texas and maintaining it for their nation throughout history."
Fayette County World War I Veterans plaque
Photograph of a World War I Veterans Memorial in Fayette County. It reads: "World War I Veterans: Robert F. Adams, George Best, Ludwig E. Bauerkemper, John H. Behrens, Jesse Brown, Eugene Burley, William Doms, Lidwik Dornak, Hugo Ehlers, Vladimal F. Faktor, Helmuth A. Garlin, Walter Graf, Willie Heinze, William Henry, Reyes Hernandez, Eddie Holmes, Luther Huff, Lonnie James, Steve Janecek, Jesse Jarmon, Otho Keilberg, Richard E. Knezek, Otto A. Koehler, Willie E. Koepke, Joe Krenek, Herman T. Kruse, Rudolph J. Kubena, John R. Langston, Chris M. Larsen, James A. Levy, Louis Machac, Eugene Maeckel."
Fayette County World War I Veterans plaque
Photograph of a World War I Veterans Memorial in Fayette County. It reads: "World War I Veterans: Elton Manske, Robert C. Manthey, Johnny Walton McBride, Otto E. Mehner, Ferdinand J. Mendel, Jaromir Michal, Beno Michalski, Henry J. Niemeyer, Fritz Oeltjen, Henry Onken Jr., Louis O. Quade, Ferdinand F. Quitta, Joseph A. Rabel, Otto J. Reuther, Louis F. Ruhmann, Joe R. Sassin, Edwin H. Schaffer, Gustav H. Schulze, Herbert H. Schroeder, John J. Schroeder, Conrad F. Sevcik, Henry I. Somohyl, Eugene E. Tate, Adolph Tauch, William T. Terrell, Lyle G. Thornton, Felix Wagner, Jeff B. Webb, Henry Winter, Ernest W. Woods, Marion H. Worrell."
Fayette County World War II Veterans plaque
Photograph of a Fayette County World War II Veterans Memorial. It reads: "World War II Veterans: Alphonse J. Orsak, Ladik J. Osina, Willie L. Page, William C. Parker, George Pavlicek, Lee Roy Pavlik, Oliver F. Psencik, Ernest J. Quitta, Ivan Rainosek, Adolph E. Rab, Walker Randle, Hlemuth Roeder, Sidney Scarborough Jr., Eddie V. Sbrusch, William Scherpik Jr., Benjamin C.F. Schlabach, Edgar Schmidt, Andrew C. Schramm, Erwin W.A. Schuetze, Louis E. Schulz, John G. Segura, Nathan Siebel, Erwin Tengler, Louis L. Thompson, Joseph Trlicik, Jerry R. Vaculik, Eddie E. Valicek, Julius P. Vasek, Rawlin F. Weber, Eddie P. Wiedermann, William Wendler, Bennie O. Werchan, Grannville Williams, Otto Willrich, Melvin P. Wolff, James D. Worthy, Dan Yates Jr., Ollie Zapp."
Fayette County World War II Veterans plaque
Photograph of a World War II Veterans Memorial in Fayette County. It reads: "World War II Veterans: Alfred Hubenak, George R. Huepers, Method C. Janacek, Herbert L. Kainer, Jr., Nolan Kalich, Joe A. Kasmiersky, Emil E. Knesek Jr. Carlton Knezek, Jimmie Knight, Jerry J. Knippel, Ludvik F. Kocurek, Henry Kolensky, Kleophas E. Kovar, Henry Kozelsky, Leroy J. Krenek, Anton Kresta, Jr., Rudolph J. Kubena, Bernard Kubenka, Joseph Lev, Doris C. Lewis, Alton D. Lueders, Alvin Lueders, Atlan W. Luck, Jessie M. Lozano, James O. Marburger, Edward J. Marek, Ivan Mazoch, David A McDow, Mason L. McDuffie, Peter D. Meyer, Emil C. Minzenmeyer, Emil W. Miladenka, Edgar Mueller, Edgar H. Mueller, John V. Muras, Roy Nagel, Ludwig J. Novosad, Jonnie C. Oeltjendiers, Anton J. Olsovsky, Alfred F. Opperman.
Fayette County World War II Veterans plaque
Photograph of a World War II Veterans Memorial in Fayette County. It reads: "World War II Veterans: Edwin Alaminski, Rudolph L. Barta, Tom C. Baumgarten, George Baylor, Victor L. Berger, Lee R. Best Jr., Adam R. Bogdanski, Ernest A. Bosl Jr., Adolf C. Brune, James E. Burns, Robert V. Bohuslav, Ernest T. Byler, Hugh Carroll, Henry L. Chovanec, Marvin Chudej, Erwin J. Cordes, Eugene Cornett, Granville W. Cowan, Rudolph R. Dittrich, Alfred R. Ehlers Jr., Roy A. Ellis, Carl W. Engelman, Alfred Fischer, Willie Fitzgerald, Charles M. Frierson Jr., Ernest W. Graf, Victor E. Guarin, Daniel Gully, Arnold Hajdik, Alton W. Hanisch, Alfred C.E. Harbers, Herman Heinrich, Maynard Helmcamp, Meinardt Helmcamp, Porter Henderson, Atlan R. Hengst, Melvin E. Hertel, Frank W. Herzik, Lawrence L. Herzik, Eugene Holub."
Historic plaque, Birthplace of the SPJST
Photograph of a historic plaque detailing the birth of the SPJST. It reads: "On December 28, 1896, twenty-five Czech-Texans gathered in the district courtroom of this courthouse to establish a new fraternal benefit insurance society, the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, more commonly known as the SPJST. The SPJST held its first convention in the same room on June 20, 1897. I. J. Gallia served as the society's first president and J. R. Kubena was the first secretary. The SPJST officially began its business in Texas on July 1, 1897. SPJST headquarters now is located in Temple. (1983)"
Historic Plaque, Dubina
"Dubina, which derives its name from the Czech word for Oak Grove, was founded in 1856 by a group of Moravian immigrants, including the Marak Kahlich, Sramek, Peter, Holub, Muzny, and Haidusek families. By 1900 the farming community had erected a church building, mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, store, and post office. A 1909 storm and a 1912 fire caused extensive damage from which the town never recovered. As the first settlement in Texas to be founded entirely by Czech-Moravians, Dubina remains an important part of the state's regional and cultural history."
Historic plaque, Fayette County Courthouse
Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads: "Fayette County Courthouse. About 1890, the structural safety of Fayette County's third courthouse came into question, and plans began for the building of this structure to serve as the seat of justice for the county. The commissioners court hired San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon (1863-1937) to design the new courthouse and oversee the construction. Gordon, who was 27 years old at the time, went on to become a noted architect of public buildings in Texas. Funding for the 1890-91 courthouse came from the sale of $90,000 in bonds. Martin, Byrnes and Johnston of Colorado City served as building contractors. Gordon designed the courthouse in the Romanesque Revival style and specified four types of native Texas stone to detail the exterior: Blue Muldoon sandstone, Belton White limestone, Pecos Red sandstone and Pink Burnet granite. A central open atrium, designed to promote good lighting and natural ventilation, highlighted the interior space. The extensive use of stone, along with the massive arched windows and doorways, exemplify the building's Romanesque Revival influences. The oldest existing J. Riely Gordon courthouse in Texas, the Fayette County courthouse was completed in 1891. It has served as a setting for social events, celebrations, courtroom dramas and political oratory, and continues as a center of politics and government for the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001"
Historic Plaque, United Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
Photograph of a historic plaque in Swiss Alp, Texas. It reads: "United Evangelical Lutheran Church (Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery). The Swiss Alp community was settled about 1865. Within a short time, the Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church was established and began meeting on land given by John and Christina Knippa in 1867. The first recorded burial on this site is that of Emma Gertraut Ritter, who died in October 1867. She was soon followed by Anna Rudi, the wife of Pastor C. C. Rudi. Ten more church members were interred here before the site was formally established as a cemetery in February 1877. Other members of the Rudi family are interred here along with numerous church members. After several small area churches merged in 1967 the church name was changed to United Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery. The historic graveyard contains both marked and unmarked burials. (1999)"
Inventory of county records, Fayette County courthouse, La Grange, Texas, Volume 1
Inventory of the the records of Fayette County. Begins with an introduction and explanation of the roles of various county government offices. Volume 1 describes the records of the Commissioners Court, County Judge, County Clerk, County Court, County Attorney, District Clerk, and Probation Officer. Also provides a list of Fayette County records and an index.
Inventory of county records, Fayette County courthouse, La Grange, Texas, Volume 2
Inventory of the the records of Fayette County. Begins with an introduction and explanation of the roles of various county government offices. Volume 2 describes the records of the Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, Tax Assessor-Collector, County Treasurer, Auditor, County School Superintendent, and Engineer. Also provides a list of Fayette County records and an index.
Inventory of the county archives of Texas : Fayette County, no. 75
Inventory of records of Fayette County housed in the Fayette County Courthouse as of 1937. Begins with a historical sketch of the county along information on the housing, care, and accessibility of the records. Describes the records of the County Commissioners Court, County Clerk as Recorder, District Court, County Court, Justice of the Peace, District Attorney, County Attorney, Sheriff, Constable, Tax Assessor-Collector, Board of Equalization, County Treasurer, County Auditor, County Board of School Trustees, County School Superintendent, County Health Officer, County Surveyor, Board of Land Commissioners (Defunct), Inspector of Hides and Animals (Defunct), and Coroner (Defunct). References constitutional provisions and laws specifically applicable to Fayette County. Includes a bibliography as well as chronological and subject and entry indexes
The La Grange Depot Museum and M-K-T Railroad Depot
Photograph of the La Grange Depot Museum, a yellow and green wooden building. A sign by the door says: "This depot was completed in November 1867 by the M-K-T Railroad. It replaced the earlier depot that was on this site from 1887 until it burned in March 1897. The depot now houses the La Grange Depot Museum."
The La Grange Depot Museum and M-K-T Railroad Depot
Photograph of the La Grange Depot Museum, a yellow and green building. A sign on the building reads: "This depot was completed in November 1867 by the M-K-T Railroad. It replaced the earlier depot that was on this site from 1887 until it burned in March 1897. The depot now houses the La Grange Depot Museum."
Sign for the La Grange Depot Museum
La Grange Depot Museum sign, "This depot was completed in November 1867 by the M-K-T Railroad. It replaced the earlier depot that was on this site from 1887 until it burned in March 1897. The depot now houses the La Grange Depot Museum."
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Ammannsville, Texas sign
Sign at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Ammannsville.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, cloth pennant
A cloth sign that says "St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 1890 - 1990, Ammannsville, Texas"
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, confessional
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, the confessional, "Confession, anyone? Please use this literature to prepare for a good confession."
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, monument inside WW II Memorial Chapel
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, the WW II memorial, in Czech.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, monuments in front
Monument in front of St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, "Centennial Aug. 15, 1955. Erected in grateful memory of the first settlers of Praha. Postaveno na pamatku prvnich osadniku v Praze, Texas. Unveiled Aug, 15, 1955, by the most Rev. Robert E. Lucey, S.T.D., Archbishop of San Antonio, Texas. Rev. Julius A. Petru, Pastor
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, monuments in front
Monument in front of St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, "St. Mary's - Praha, celebrating 150 Yrs. To honor the first parishioners and the faithful people who have maintained the parish for 150 years. Dedicated August 15, 2005, Bishop David E. Fellhauer, diocese of Victoria, Fr. Edward C. Bartsch, Pastor. Bohu Diky.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, monuments in front
Monuments in front of St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, in Czech and English. Also a statue of Christ's crucifixion.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, monuments in front
Monument in front of St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, "St. Mary's Church, Praha, Texas. Maticka Praha. In remembrance of the visit April 18, 1966 of his eminence Josef Cardinal Beran Archbishop of Prague (Praha), Czechoslovakia, who was witness to the faith in prisons for 18 years. Erected by the Pastor and parishioners as an expression of our prayers that a just peace and true concord may be realized among all nations. May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace."
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption sign
Sign for St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, WW II Memorial chapel sign
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, the WW II memorial chapel sign. "Second World War in remembrance of soldiers fallen in battle. Names: Pvt. Josef Lev, killed August 24, 1944; Pfc. Adolf Rab, killed December 27, 1944; Pfc. Robert Bohuslav, killed February 3, 1944. Donations for this chapel: Emil and Mary Lev, John and Agnes Rab, Josef V. and Anna Okruhlik, Rev. Alfons Raska, Pastor."
St. Mary's Church, Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Praha, shrine for the Virgin Mary.