Photograph of a historic plaque in Sweetwater, Texas. It reads: "Nomadic Indians crossed this region before Anglo-American pioneers arrived here in the 1870s. The first settlers were buffalo hunters such as I. S. (Tuck) Focht, who later became a rancher and businessman, and cattlemen such as Confederate veteran John R. Lewis. Created in 1876, Nolan County was one of 54 counties carved from Bexar Territory. It was named for Philip Nolan (1771 - 1801), an Irish-born adventurer who came to Texas to capture wild horses and was killed in a skirmish with Spanish soldiers. Sweetwater, a small settlement that had grown up around a general store, was awarded the country's first post office in March 1879. It was also named the county seat when Nolan County was organized in January 1881. Sweetwater moved 2 miles northwest to its present location on the Texas & Pacific Rail Line in April 1881. It became an important rail center when the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient and later the Santa Fe Railroad also routed their track through the town. The economy of Nolan County is based on cattle and sheep ranching; cotton and feed grain crops; and gypsum, lime, and petroleum production. The population of the county increased from 640 in 1880 to 16,220 in the 1970 census. (1975)"
Photograph of a historic plaque in Sweetwater, Texas. It reads: "R. A. Ragland House. In 1882 R. A. Ragland (1858 - 1938) came to Sweetwater as one of the town's first lawyers. He served as city commissioner, school board member and county attorney. In partnership with R. C. Crane he set up a law office and abstract firm. In 1906 he had this house built for his wife Luella Maddox Ragland. The home is an example of the classical Revival style. The chapel and brick addition to the front were built when the residence served as a mortuary. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979."
Photograph of a World War II veterans memorial in Sweetwater, Texas. It reads: "Honor Roll World War II: Jose A. Alcala, Norman P. Alston, Walter P. Anderson, Jr., Robert Anthony, Odis L. Apple, Jr., James W. Barkley, Johnny C. Belt, Oscar A. Bennett, James Lee Berry, Winston J. Bradford, Arlin W. Brown, Deverle Brown, Earl A. Bryant, William R. Burkett, Earl Brown, Brown Thomas B., R. C. Chapman, Roy Clay, Jr., Valton C. Clayton, Chester V. Crain, Edward E. Davis, Neal C. Davison, Jr., Ollie G. Dismuke, Jess W. Dooley, Troy R. Dooley, Jimmie Doyle, Sie S. Edwards, Jack C. Elliston, Forest F. Gartman, Raymond George, Billy B. Gibbs, Willie E. Ingram, Leroy Giesler, James V. Gillenwater Thomas T. Gillilan, Thomas P. Glass, Ernest W. Hagar, James A. Hall, David Hanks, Alfred C. Harris, Burnhard K. Hart, Lee R. Hill, Harold G. Hudgins, Robert L. Hyde, William D. Johnson, Matias M. Juarez, Johnny M. Hurd, CHarlie H. McCormick."
Photograph of a World War II memorial in Sweetwater, Texas. It reads: "Honor Roll World War II: Marion William Justice, J. R. Kiser, Kenneth B. Lance, James F. Leach, Fred H. Leonard, Anton Mack, Raymond W. May, J. C. McCoy, Quinn L. McKelvey, Murl Montgomery, James W. Moor, Homer G. Neithercutt, Troy W. Norris, Philip J. Ochoa, Malcom Omar Cook, Dayton S. O'Keefe, Willie W. Oliver, James F. O'Neil, Leon Overby, William H. Pietzsch, A. J. Roy, Fred Scudday, Jr., Johnny Leon Sealy, Leroy Shifflett, John J. S. Smith, Screven Smith, Robert M. Snyder, Raymond L. Stephenson, Bill Saunders, James F. Lewallen, Aubrey T. Stewart, Willard D. Taylor, Ennis C. Vogler, James H. Walker, Jr., John E. Walker, L. H. Whittington, Enoch A. Whittington, Edward Wilkins, Jr., Charles Ray Wilkinson, Charles H. Williams, Alton B. Wilson, Speegle J. Wood, Edgar R. Woodson, Mark Yoakum, Fred P. Pipkin, Jr."
Photograph of a World War II veterans memorial in Sweetwater, Texas. The text on the center piece reads "Honoring all who served from Nolan County and dedicated to the everlasting memory of those who sacrifice their lives of the altar of freedom in World Wars I and II. Korea. Vietnam."
THIS HOME WAS ORIGINALLY THE RESIDENCE OF THE LATE JUDGE AND MRS. R. A. RAGLAND AND THEIR FOUR CHILDREN. IT WAS BUILT IN 1906 AND SOLD AFTER THE DEATH OF JUDGE RAGLAND. A GRANDSON, ROBERT A. RAGLAND OF EL PASO, BOUGHT THE PROPERTY AND GAVE IT TO THE CITY AND COUNTY IN 1976 TO BECOME THE CITY-COUNTY PIONEER MUSEUM.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Counties listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Counties? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.