Illustrated here is a photograph of a large group of solders seated in wooden chairs inside a large room. There are two aisles running between the groups of chairs and doors are visible in the background. A text at the top of the image says, "Early Sunday Mass, Camp Wolters, Texas." A handwritten note on the back says, "from Ted Gurney."
Photograph of a historic plaque about the courthouses of Palo Pinto County. It reads: "Palo Pinto County was created in 1856 and named for a creek south of here that was perhaps named by Spanish explorers of the Brazos River valley. The county seat of 320 acres was surveyed at its geographical center and was originally named Golconda. A court session in 1857 called for the first courthouse to be built of wood frame construction, with two doors and three windows. The contract was awarded to a bid of $300. Shortly after, in 1859, the town name was changed to Palo Pinto. In 1882, just after the Texas legislature allowed counties to issue bonds for new courthouses, a large sandstone structure was built. It cost $35,000 and exhibited second empire styling with a central clock tower. A two-story sandstone annex was added in 1906 and connected to the courthouse by an iron bridge. Sandstone for the buildings was quarried south of the city. In 1940 these buildings were demolished and a new courthouse was erected by Work Projects Administration workers. The reinforced-concrete structure featured subtle classical detail and was clad with some of the sandstone from the old buildings. It was completed in 1942 at a cost of $250,000. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986."
Photograph of a historic marker in Palo Pinto, Texas. It reads: "Jonathan Hamilton Baker (July 13, 1832 - October 18, 1918). Virginia native Jonathan Hamilton "Ham" Baker came to Texas in 1858 with his brother G. W. Baker and his uncle Eli Young. Stricken by malaria while a teacher in Fort Worth, he later moved to Palo Pinto County where his uncle Frank Baker was homesteading. Here he opened a school in Palo Pinto, and soon after helped establish the town's first Methodist Church. In 1859 Baker was chosen to lead a company of local men organized to defend the area against Indian attacks. He first served under Capt. J. R. Baylor and later participated with Capt. Lawrence Sullivan Ross in the recovery of Cynthia Ann Parker, the white woman seized by Comanches in 1836. During the Civil War he served as leader of the home guard. Baker was also an open range cattleman, and in 1869 he began driving his herds to Kansas railheads. Active in local government, he served as Deputy Sheriff, Justice of the Peace, Deputy Postmaster and Clerk of the County and District. In 1890 he moved to Granbury, where he became a successful nurseryman. For over 60 years Baker kept a detailed diary, which now provides a thorough account of his distinguished life and the frontier of Texas. (1983)"
Photograph of a historic marker for John Richard Winters (January 23, 1908 - August 11, 1997) in Palo Pinto, Texas. Text: Tax-Assessor-Collector for Palo Pinto County from January 1, 1947 to March 31, 1987. Longest tenured Tax Assessor in the State of Texas at the time of his retirement. Active participant in civic affairs and community projects throughout the county: Sea Scout Troop Leader; President of the Mineral Wells Junior Chamber of Commerce; Charter member, Captain and Secretary of Palo Pinto County's Sheriff's Posse; Secretary of Palo Pinto County Livestock Association and its FFA-4H Club Junior Livestock Show; Palo Pinto Masonic Lodge; Mineral Wells Masonic Lodge; Old Settlers Reunion. President of Tax Assessor-Collectors Association of Texas in 1862. Retired from U. S. Army as Chief Warrant Officer after 21 years of service in Europe in World War II and active reserves. Instrumental in County Contribution to state-wide screw worm eradication program; re-introduction of wild turkeys into Palo Pinto County; publication of Palo Pinto County History Books; Centennial Celebration; Erection of Historical Markers in Palo Pinto County. Remembered for his untiring efforts to promote Palo Pinto County and Improve the quality of life for all its residents throughout his 89 year lifetime.
Cookbook compiled by the Alpha Delta Theta sorority in Mineral Wells, Texas, containing recipes organized by type as well as reference materials including cooking times and temperatures, measurement conversions, and other information.
Inventory of records of Palo Pinto County housed in the Palo Pinto County Courthouse in Palo Pinto, Texas. Begins with an introduction and explanation of the roles of various county government offices. Describes the records of the County Clerk, District Clerk, Justice of the Peace, Tax Assessor-Collector, Sheriff, Treasurer, Auditor, and County School Superintendent. Also provides an index.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Counties listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Counties? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.