UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

The Hotel Limpia

Description: Photograph of the Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis, Texas. It is a two-story building, with a porch on both levels. Three cars are parked in front of the hotel, and a historic marker is visible in front of the car on the far right.
Date: August 5, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Hotel Limpia, Fort Davis

Description: Photograph of the side of the Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis, Texas. The name of the hotel is painted on the side of the building. Several cars are parked in front of the hotel, and a road sign in the right foreground points to the "Chamber of Commerce".
Date: August 5, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Jeff Davis County Courthouse, historical plaque

Description: Photograph of a historic marker in Fort Davis, Texas. It says: "Jeff Davis County Courthouse. Designed by the architectural firm of L. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. This concrete and stone Classical Revival edifice, erected by the Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, is dominated by a massive portico supported by doric columns. Other distinctive design elements include the alternating horizontal bands of pink rusticated stone made of locally quarried materials and the Beaux arts style clock tower, which feature a Seth Thomas timepiece. The courthouse continues as the seat of local goverment. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000."
Date: August 5, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Old Fort Davis Monument in the Jeff Davis County Courthouse grounds

Description: OLD FORT DAVIS C.S.A. CONFEDERATE SUPPLY POINT AND FRONTIER OUTPOST ON GREAT MILITARY ROAD FROM SAN ANTONIO TO EL PASO 1861-62. AFTER SURRENDERED BY U.S.ARMY, OCCUPIED BY DETACHMENT 2ND TEXAS MOUNTED RIFLES. APACHES AMBUSHED PATROL FROM FORT UNDER LT.MAYS IN BIG BEND AREA AUGUST 1861. USED BY TEXAS CONFEDERATE TROOPS EN ROUTE TO AND FROM NEW MEXICO-ARIZONA COMPAIGN TO STOP FLOW OF GOLD TO NORTH AND GAIN ACCESS TO PACIFIC. TWO CANNONS BURIED NEARBY ON RETURN HAVE NEWER BEEN FOUND OCCUPIED BRIEELY CALIFORNIA UNION CAVALRY. AUGUST 1862. A MEMORIAL TO TEXANS WHO SERVED THE CONFEDERACY RECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS 1963
Date: August 5, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.