UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds

Description: Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse, viewed from the side. He raises his hat in his right hand. The base of the statue reads, "Benjamin Rush Milam participated in the capture of Goliad October ninth, 1835, was killed in San Antonio, December seventh 1835 while commanding the Texas forces which later captured the town."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds

Description: Photograph of the base of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. It says, "Who will follow Old Ben Milam into San Antonio. Erected by the state of Texas 1936 with funds appropriated by the Federal Government to commemorate one hundred years of Texas independence."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds

Description: Photograph of the base of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. It says "Benjamin Rush Milam. Born in Kentucky 1788, soldier in the War of 1812, trader with the Texas Comanche Indians 1818, Colonel in the Long Expedition in 1820, Empresario from 1826 to 1835."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds

Description: Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. He stands with his hat raised in one hand, and he holds a rifle in the other. The base of the statue simply says "Milam".
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds

Description: Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. He stands with his hat raised in one hand, and he holds a rifle in the other. The base of the statue simply says "Milam".
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds

Description: Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. He stands with his hat raised in one hand, and he holds a rifle in the other. The base of the statue simply says "Milam".
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Building in Milam County

Description: Photograph of a building in Milam County. It was formerly a bank, and is now an attorneys office in Cameron. The building is white, with red doors and windows. Several columns support the overhang over to the front entrance.
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph

Historic plaque, First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas. The first Girl's Tomato Clubs in Texas were organized in 1912 in Milam County to acquaint young women in rural areas with tomato production and canning techniques. At the request of the United States Department of Agriculture, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg, a local high school principal, agreed to undertake the project. She organized eleven clubs throughout the county, with members ranging in age from ten to eighteen. A similar program for boys, the Corn Clubs, had been instituted in Jack County four years earlier. Each member of the Girl's Tomato Clubs was to produce a tomato crop on one-tenth of an acre of land and then was taught proper canning procedures. The girls exhibited their products at Milano, Rockdale, the 1913 State Fair in Dallas, and the Waco Cotton Palace. So successful were these exhibits that several of the girls started college education funds with the money they raised selling their goods. As the state's first rural girl's organization of its kind, the Tomato Clubs were forerunners of later programs, including 4-H, that were initiated under the supervision of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. Over time, 4-H has expanded its scope but has maintained the principle objectives of its predecessors."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic plaque, Milam County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Milam County Courthouse. This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891. Designed by architect A.O. Watson of Austin, the courthouse at one time feature a second empire roof and a cupola with a four-sided clock. The clock was removed and the roof altered in a 1938 renovation project by the Federal Works Progress Administration. As the center of county government for over a century, the courthouse stands as a significant part of Milam County history."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic plaque, Milam County Jail of 1895

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Milam County Jail of 1895. When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, for the construction of a larger prison. The company furnished all supplies, including St. Louis pressed bricks. County Judge Sam Streetman, who later served on the Texas Supreme Court, approved the contract, although he had preferred the use of local building materials. This structure, designed with Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above the windows, had three main floors and a "hanging tower" equipped with a trap door. The tower was never used for executions because most hangings took place outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for storage and the remainder serving as a residence for the sheriff and his family. The second and third stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners. In 1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation, it was opened as a museum in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978"
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic plaque, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (December 30, 1868 - November 15, 1946). Pioneer leader of Texas women in rural club work. While serving as principal of a school near Milano, Mrs. Trigg was asked by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1911 to supervise Texas' first Girls' Tomato Club. Her role included organization, teaching, and experimentation. In Aug. 1912, her clubs showed canned products at Milano Fair -- the state's first exhibit of this kind, and a great success. In 1913-14, she worked in Childress and Milam counties, holding canning schools financed by local groups and the U. S. Department of Agriculture. After enactment of national and state legislation (1914-1915) established the Agricultural Extension Service at land grant colleges, Mrs. Trigg became (in 1916) the first county home demonstration agent in Texas. Stationed in Denton, she also served on staff of the College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Woman's University), overseeing courses in methods for home demonstration work, assuring its professionalism. Edna Trigg was a native of Milam County, daughter of Ervin and Rachel Walker Westbrook. She married (in 1892) Charles Letman Trigg, and was mother of Charles Westbrook Trigg and Eloise Trigg (later Mrs. Johnson). Mrs. Trigg is buried in I. O. O. F. Cemetery, Denton."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Milam County Calaboose

Description: Photograph of a side view of the Milam County Calaboose. It is made of wood painted red, and has two closed windows.
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Milam County Calaboose sign

Description: Photograph of a sign outside the Milam County Calaboose. It reads: "Calaboose. May 16, 1892. A bid to build the calaboose was accepted by the Cameron City Council from a company called Westmoreland and Mullinax for $262.50. Calaboose was to be accepted by Major A.J. Lewis and City Marshall R. L. Batte. Mayor Lewis later became Sheriff of Milam County. The Calaboose is twenty feet long, ten feet wide and twelve feet high. Thick wooden walls are formed by the placement of two-by-four-inch timbers flat on top of each other. The floor is of similar construction. The two-by-fours are placed edgewise forming a four-inch wall. There is a door at each end and two windows, one on each side of the building in both cells. The windows have two sets of iron bars - a rounded set of twelve that is built into the facing and a flat set of nine attached on the inside. To keep out the rain and also to help keep prisoners in, wooden shutters were put on the outside. There are iron bars on each shutter which served as a lock."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Milam County Courthouse, detail of cornerstone

Description: Photograph of a cornerstone at the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Erected July 4, 1891. Larmoor and Watson, Architects. Lee and Plummer, Contractors."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info: