Photograph of the dedication plaque on a copy of the Statue of Liberty in Midland, Texas. It reads: "With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States. The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty. 40th anniversary crusade to strengthen the arm of liberty 1950."
Photograph of a historical marker in Midland, Texas. It reads: "Midland County (created and organized, March 1885). First known as the junction of many trails and site of the last Comanche raid into Texas. In 1881 the Texas and Pacific Railroad was built; equi-distant between El Paso and Fort Worth, this became known as Midland. First settler was a sheepman in 1882. Cattlemen came with Herefords in 1888. Water wells and windmills lured small farmers. Became headquarters for 1928 Permian Basin oil discovery. In 1945 its first well came in. The "Midland Man", oldest skeletal remain in North America (18,500 B.C.(, was found in 1954. (1967)"
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Midland County courthouse. It reads: "Midland County, Texas. Judge Barbara G. Culver. Durward Wright ~ John Thomas, Charles Welch ~ Winfree Brown, Commissioners. Rosenelle Cherry, Clerk. Ed Darnell, Sheriff."
Photograph of a cornerstone of the Midland County courthouse. The cornerstone reads: "Midland County M. R. Hill, County Judge. Commissions S. R. Preston ~ L. M. Estes, D. L. Hutt ~ H. E. Roberts. Chas. L. Klapproth, District Judge. A. C. Francis, Sheriff. A. D. 1930."
Photograph of a historical plaque in Midland, Texas. It reads: "The Midland Man. Oldest human remains in New World. Found 1953 on ranch near here by pipeline welder Keith Glasscock. Fossilized skull, rib and hands bones had been exposed by weather conditions. Tests indicated these were bones of a woman who lived as long ago as 9000 - 9500 B.C.; nearby were bones of extinct species of horse, camel, mammoth, pecxcary, wolf, sloth; with weapons, tools and signs of ancient campfires. Drs. Fred Wendorf and Alex D. Krieger, archaeologists; Claude C. Albritton, geologist; T.D. Stewart, physician and anthropologist, made studies of the discovery. (1966)."