UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Erath County Courthouse, Stephenville

Description: Photograph of the Erath County Courthouse in Stephenville. It is a four-story building made of red and white stones with a clock tower at the top. There is a flagpole in front of the building, and trees on the lawn on either side of the entrance.
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Major George B. Erath Monument

Description: Photograph of a monument in honor of Major George B. Erath, erected by the Sons and Daughters of Confederate Veterans in 2001. A picture of a Confederate and Texas flags are crossed at the top of the monument. It reads: "In Memory of Major George B. Erath, CSA and the more than 600 Confederate veterans of the War Between the States, who rest beneath the rich soil of Erath County. Ordinary men from across the South took up arms to fight an extraordinary war. Together they became one of the most acclaimed fighting forces in military history. The South devastated by war and the hard life during Reconstruction caused families to move to Texas where they hoped for a better life. Erath County prospered as veterans built homes, schools, churches, farms and businesses. CSA veterans became leaders in our towns and communities. They are our ancestors. Their lives, our sacred heritage, we remember with honor and devotion."
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Erath County Veterans Memorial

Description: Photograph of the Erath County Veterans Memorial. It is made of three stones. The largest, middle stone reads: "Erath County honors its veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm and other military actions." The left stone says "Duty, Honor, Country," and the right says "Our men and women of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, Merchant Marines." A line of text at the bottom of the memorial declares that it was "Donated by citizens, businesses, and organizations of Erath County."
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Stephenville Museum

Description: Photograph of the Stephenville Museum, located in the Berry House, 525 E. Washington in Stephenville, Texas. The house is made of light-colored stone with a steep wood-shingled roof that has a red chimney on either side. There is a wide balcony on the second story, above the front porch and the trim is painted white.
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Dr. Pepper Museum in Dublin

Description: Photograph of the Dublin Dr. Pepper Museum and Old Doc's Soda Shop in Dublin, TX. In front of the building is a statue, "Sweet Inspirations" depicting the plant's owner, Bill Kloster -- "Mr. Dr Pepper" -- offering a bottle of Dr. Pepper to a little girl.
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Thurber Antiques & Treasures

Description: Photograph of a two-story building in Thurber, Texas that used to be a gas station, viewed from the back. Part of the second story forms an overhang where gas pumps are visible; it also has a taller platform with a railing that has a "Thurber" sign on the side and a "Thurber Tipple" sign near the roof. A newer sign on the side of the building says "Thurber 'Tiques & Treasures" as well as "Western Art * Antiques * Crafts * Collectibles & Gifts." Other signs on the building say "Oil Change," "Fish Bait," "Hay for Sale," and "New-Used Tires." A restaurant building is visible in the background.
Date: August 7, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic plaque - Thurber

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Thurber, Texas. It reads: "Thurber. Most important mine site in Texas for 30 years. Coal here, probably known to Indians, was "discovered" in 1886 by W. W. Johnson, who with his brother Harvey sold out to Texas & Pacific Coal Company in 1888. (T. & P. Coal Company provided fuel for the Texas & Pacific Railroad, but was independently owned. Town was named for H. K. Thurber, friend of T. & P. Coal Company founders. Most dynamic firm member was Robert D. Hunter (1833 - 1902), developer of 7 of 15 mines. Next president was E. L. Marston, Hunter's son-in-law, who left mining largely to William K. Gordon (1862 - 1949), an engineer who brought daily output to 3,000 tons. Then in 1917, Gordon (backed by management of coal company) was primarily responsible for discovery of Range Oil Field, 20 miles west. Adoption of oil-burning railway locomotives cut demand for coal. Last mine here closed in 1921, and the 10,000 or more inhabitants of Thurber began to move away. The coal firm changed its name to Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company and was sold in 1963 to Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, Inc., for $277,000,000.00. Renamed Texas Pacific Oil Company, it is no one of the largest independent domestic energy suppliers. Much coal (by estimate 127,000,000 tons) remains underground. (1969)"
Date: August 7, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info: