UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Historic Plaque, San Augustine County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in San Augustine, Texas. It reads: "San Augustine County Courthouse. When the town of San Augustine was platted in 1834, this property was reserved for the public square, but it was another 20 years before the first courthouse was constructed here. San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel, and by 1840, the county government operated out of the Federal Custom House. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first Courthouse on the public square. The subsequent Courthouse, an 1893 Italianate structure, was razed to make room for the current building. Completed in 1927, the third San Augustine County Courthouse is constructed of Texas Lueders Stone. It is symmetrical in plan with a prominent central entry bay and exhibits influences of the classical revival style of architecture. The County Commissioner Court, with County Judge Ed Kennon presiding, selected East Texas architect Shirley Simons as the designer and the firm of Campbell and White as the builders. Over the years, the square has been a gathering place for community and county events. Monuments placed on the grounds include a bronze statue of James Pinckney Henderson, first governor of the State of Texas and a resident of San Augustine, and a veterans memorial erected in 1951. The 1927 Courthouse stands as a center of politics and government for the people of San Augustine County and an important part of the city's 20th Century architectural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001."
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

San Augustine County Time Capsule, 1976

Description: 1976, San Augustine "The Cradle of Texas" Special Notice Bicentennial - Time Capsule is buried here. Capsule is a wooden box, encased in a thick coat of fiber glass, and is completely surrounded in heavy concrete, buried about 18 inches deep. Capsule is to be opened on July 4th, 2076.
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph

Veterans Memorial, San Augustine County

Description: For God and Country Semper Fidelis In Memory of Those Who Lost Their Lives in Time of War Killed in Action Anderson, Nolan R.; Beard, Bruce; Belser, Oscar L.; Brown, Willie B.; Bullock, Jim; Dominy, Reed H.; Emmons, E. H. (Ned); Emmons, John L.; Fitzgerald, Garland; Fussell, Lucien; Gill, William; Hightower, James C.; Holloway, Ollie J.; Kingsley, Paul E.; Lanning, J. B.; Lakey, Hardy L.; Lee, Fred; Lewis, Johnnie D.; Moore, Jessie L.; Norwood, Thomas A.; O'Neal, Raymon E.; Oxley, Tom E.; Powell, Harvey; Powell, T. J.; Rash, W. H.; Reeder, Luther; Rulfs, Milam I.; Sharpton, Billy M.; Sheffield, Willie H.; Vaughn, Troy; Wade, Lance C.; Wall, Gladwyn J.; Wells, Darwin T.; Whitton, Nugent; Williams, Basil E.; Willison, William S. Died in Service Allen, George L.; Barnes, Wilma; Berry, Nehemiah; Bodine, Joseph A.; Chance, Raymond H.; Clifton, Melvin; Dickerson, Henry; Higginbotham, E. C.; Lane, Valton; Mahan, Ernest E.; Mathews, William C.; Nash, Laurie; Perry, Pink E.; Runnels, C. B.; Sexton, Johnie B.; Taylor, Wilburn; Warr, Noah; West, Levi. Erected by the citizens of San Augustine County, sponsored by Post 387 American Legion.
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph