UNT Libraries - 22 Matching Results

Search Results

Border Fence

Description: Section of bollard-style pedestrian border fence in Brownsville, TX. Erected by U.S. Homeland security in the late 2000s as part of the "Secure Fence Act of 2006."
Date: June 27, 2018
Creator: Hicks, William
Location Info:

Palmito Hill Battlefield Memorial

Description: Southward facing panoramic photograph of Palmito Hill Battlefield, the last land battle of the American Civil War on May 12-13, 1865. As viewed from the interpretive platform of the Historic Landmark near Boca Chica Blvd. and Palmito Hill Rd.
Date: June 27, 2018
Creator: Hicks, William
Location Info:

Angelina County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the Angelina County Courthouse, constructed 1955 by architect Wilbur Kent. A sign is partially obscured by the cars parked in the lot. The building is mostly red brick. Letters above the three windows spell out "Angelina County".
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Angelina County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the Angelina County Courthouse, constructed in 1955 by architect Wilbur Kent. It is a red brick building with many columns. Several cars are parked in front of it, and there is foliage all around it.
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Angelina County Courthouse, fountain

Description: Photograph of the fountain in front of the Angelina County Courthouse. Indecipherable words are carved into the side of the fountain. A bronze statue can be seen to the left behind the fountain, and the courthouse dominates the right hand side of the photo. It is a red brick building with white columns.
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Angelina County Peace Officers Memorial

Description: Photograph of the Angelina County Peace Officers Memorial. It reads: "We remember the officers who always stood true. Persons strong enough to answer the challenge are few. With pride and integrity they say 'To serve and protect'. For the giving of their life, we offer our respect." "Capt. Don H. Willmon, 1946-1979, Angelina Co. Reserves." and "Officer John E. Logan Jr., 1970-2004, Huntington Police Dept." are carved into the small stone on the left, and "Deputy Byford H. Hunter, 1949-1982, Angeline Co. Sheriff's Dept." is carved into the stone on the right. Red and white bricks with the names, birth dates, and death dates of officers make up the walkway leading to the memorial.
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

The Fain Theatre, Livingston

Description: Photograph of the Fain Theatre in Livingston, TX. It has a large green vertical marquee that says "The Fain", and a horizontal marquee under that which reads "Starts Friday, Elizabeth Town." There is a single box office, and a few posters to the left of it. There are a few cars parked in front of the theatre.
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Polk County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Livingston, Texas. It reads: "Polk County Courthouse. Completed in 1924, this is the fifth courthouse to serve Polk County. Citing "lack of space and modern conveniences," the commissioners court hired the Houston architectural firm of McLelland and Fink to design their new building. Contractor Isaac Young completed demolition of the 1884 Courthouse by July 1923, and the first court meetings were held in this building by the fall of 1924. Designed to include an auditorium, library, American Legion Hall and Post Office, which were replaced in later years by administrative and judicial offices, the Polk County Courthouse features classical revival styling with Beaux Arts influences. It stands as a significant part of Livingston's architectural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001."
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Polk County Courthouse Flagpoles.

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Livingston, Texas. It reads: "The Gordie G. Nettles Flagpoles. These flagpoles were erected by the county court at the request of Gordie G. Nettles (1895-1971), a revered Polk Countian, a veteran of World War I and a distinguished American. He left memorial for posterity in the many official Texas Historical Markers in Polk County for which he was responsible as Historical Marking Chairman for the Polk County Historical Survey Committee. In gratitude for his life and service these flagpoles are dedicated to perpetuate the memory of Gordie G. Nettles. Erected 1971."
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info: