UNT Libraries - 52 Matching Results

Search Results

The Dance Floor of Politics, public artwork

Description: Photograph of a public artwork at Fort Worth's Intermodal Transportation Center. It is a square of red bricks with the words "The Dance Floor of Politics" written in a white square in the middle. A person's leg can be seen standing on the lower right corner of the red square.
Date: March 15, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Fort Worth's first African American business man, John Pratt artwork

Description: Photograph of Panel A of the Historic Wall at Fort Worth's Intermodal Transportation Center, chronicling the African American Marketplace that was there in 1865 to 1940. The text underneath the mural reads "Fort Worth's first African American business man was John Pratt blacksmith. 1865-1876." The public artwork and mural made of tile.
Date: March 15, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

[Hunt Hawes Grocery Warehouse Public Artwork]

Description: Photograph of a mural made of tile at Fort Worth's Intermodal Transportation Center. It chronicles the African American Marketplace that was there in 1865 to 1940. The text under the mural says "Hunt Hawes Grocery Warehouse & Bill McDonald's Fraternal Bank and Trust -- Part of the 20th Century. 1900-1910."
Date: March 15, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.

Two-Dimensional Tiled African Mural Panel D

Description: Photograph of Panel D of the Historic Wall at Fort Worth's Intermodal Transportation Center. It chronicles the African American Jim's Hotel. This is a twentieth-century piece created during the 1930s-1940s. This two-dimensional tiled mural is framed with red bricks and is on display for the public.
Date: March 15, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.

Two-Dimensional Tiled African Mural Panel E

Description: Photograph of Panel E of the Historic Wall at Fort Worth's Intermodal Transportation Center. It chronicles the African American Jim's Hotel. This is a twentieth-century piece created during the 1930s-1940s. This two-dimensional tiled mural is framed with red bricks and is on display for the public.
Date: March 15, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.

Ann Whitney Memorial

Description: Photograph of a memorial for Ann Whitney. It says, "In Memory of Ann Whitney. Born in Massachusetts about 1835, massacred by Comanche Indians, July 9, 1867 while protecting her pupils. Miss Whitney's grave is located 5 blocks north in the Graves-Gentry Cemetery. School was located 7 miles northeast of Hamilton on the Juan de la Garza Survey. Sponsored by Hamilton Kiwanis Club, 1858. Donated by Riley-Gardner Memorial Service Co.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Bosque County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the Bosque County Courthouse, undergoing a complete restoration. Constructed in 1886 by architect J. J. Cane of Fort Worth, this image represents the building's structure as it existed from 1935 to 2007. The courthouse originally had a gothic tower and small turrets which were dismantled in 1935, and subsequently rebuilt in 2007.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Burnet City Hall and Mall

Description: Photograph of the Burnet City Hall and Mall. There are things placed in the windows of the Hall. It is a brown and white two-story building with a large sign on the front. There is a car parked on the right side of the photo.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Burnet County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the Burnet County Courthouse, the third courthouse for the county, built 1937 by Willis Environmental Engineering from Marble Falls, Texas. The building is two stories tall, and is a light brown.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.

Hamilton County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the Hamilton County Courthouse. It was constructed in 1886, by architects Mason, Martin, Byrnes and Johnston. A 1931 remodel removed the clock tower and Second Empire style mansard roof.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Carnegie Library Building

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads: "Carnegie Library Building. A Cleburne Public Library was begun in 1901 under the direction of the local women's club. In 1902 members of the organization met with New York industrialist and benefactor Andrew S. Carnegie to secure funds for a building. His gift was matched by local contributions and this structure was completed in 1905. Featuring details of the Beaux Arts and Classical Revival styles and a second floor theater, it housed the library until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981."
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Elise Waerekskjold

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Hamilton, Texas. It reads: "Elise Waerekskjold, (Home 3 blocks W; Grave 6 Blocks NW). Influential early promoter of Norwegian Emigration to Texas: Born Elise Tvede in 1815. In 1846, after John Reiersen migrated to Texas to found the first Norwegian settlement in the state, she became editor of his periodical "Norway and Texas". Through her articles, many were inspired to move here. In 1847 she, too, moved to Texas, and resided in both Van Zandt County and Hamilton County. She married Wilhelm Waerenskjold. Often they welcomed grateful newcomers into their home. Here she helped preserve the history of her people. Died 1895. (1968)"
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Gunfight at the Lampasas Saloon

Description: Photograph of a historic marker in Lampasas. It reads: "In the early 1870s Lampasas was a wild frontier town. In January 1873 Sheriff S.T. Denson was shot while arresting brothers Wash and Mark Short. The district judge sent men to apprehend the Short brothers, but the posse was stopped by Ben, Tom, and Mart Horrell and several others. Sheriff Denson and the justices of the peace of Lampasas County appealed to Governor Edmund J. Davis for the assistance of the State Police. On February 10, Governor Davis issued a proclamation prohibiting the carrying of sidearms in Lampasas. On March 14, Captain Thomas Williams and seven state policemen entered Lampasas to enforce the proclamation. The State Police immediately arrested Bill Bowen for carrying a gun in town. Bowen persuaded Captain Williams and two of his men to enter Jerry Scott's Lampasas Saloon, this led to a gunfight between the State Police and the Horrell brothers and their associates. Three officers were killed in the saloon and a fourth was fatally wounded while trying to escape. The police were buried in Lampasas, but Captain Williams was reinterred in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin. More State Police came to Lampasas and joined forces with the sheriff and Lampasas and Burnet County Minute Men companies to search for the Horrell Gang. They arrested four men connected with the incident. In early May the Horrell gang attacked the Georgetown Jail and released Mart Horrell and Jerry Scott form custody. The Horrell gang remained in the Lampasas area until September when they left for New Mexico. In 1874 they returned to Lampasas. In 1876 the Horrell brothers stood trial for the murder of the State Police, but were found not guilty. (2000)"
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Hamilton County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Hamilton County Courthouse. Before era of this impressive courthouse, Hamilton County's government was housed in stores, a rustic school, a former livery stable, a 2-story building with top floor especially designed for a courtroom, and briefly in a saloon. Fire razed two of the early improvised courthouses. First permanent one built in 1878, also burned in 1886. In those days outlaws were so numerous that guards were hired to protect visiting judges. This 1887 structure of native limestone, quarried 2 miles east of Hamilton, remained unchanged until it was remodeled in 1931. (1970)"
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info: