UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Fort Concho, long covered porch of Cavalry Barracks 1

Description: Photograph of the long covered porch of Cavalry Barracks 1 at Fort Concho. The porch is made of wood, and the building of stone. There are benches up against the wall to the left. Other buildings can be seen beyond the porch.
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Tom Green County, historic plaque

Description: Historic plaque. "Original Tom Green County on transcontinental trail of California Gold Rush. Until 1846 a part of Bexar Land District, Republic of Texas. Private tracts were surveyed as early as 1847. German emigration company colony (90 mi. SE) had grants here, but in 1840s found Indians blocking settlement. Butterland Overland Mail managers lived in stands in area, 1858-61. R. F. Tankersley family established a permanent home in 1864 in future Tom Green County. By 1874 there were five settlements here, including Bismarck Farm, a colony of 15 German immigrants. The County (12,756 sq. mi., 10 1/2 times as large as state of Rhode Island) was created in 1874, and named for heroic Gen. Green (1814-64), a state official and gallant Texas soldier. After a decade of progress, the original Tom Green County began losing outlying areas. Midland County - halfway between Fort Worth and El Paso on newly opened Texas & Pacific Railway - was created in 1885. Settlers remote from San Angelo petitioned for new counties in 1887, and the Texas Legislature created Crane, Loving, Upton, Ward adn Winkler. Coke and Irion Counties were cut out of Tom Green in 1889. Ector and Sterling were created in 1891. Last diversions - Glasscock (1893) and Reagan (1903) - gave Tom Green its present size. It remains influential in the region. (1972)"
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph

San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts

Description: The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts with a roofline created to resemble a Conestoga wagon. Designed by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Architects and opened in 1999.
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph

San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts

Description: The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts with a roofline created to resemble a Conestoga wagon. Designed by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Architects and opened in 1999.
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph

Cactus Hotel

Description: Photograph of the Cactus Hotel. It was the fourth hotel built by Conrad Hilton, constructed in 1929. It is fourteen stories tall. There are many cars parked near the hotel, or driving past it.
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Masonic Lodge, San Angelo

Description: Photograph of the Masonic Lodge in San Angelo, across the street from the Cactus Hotel. A blue flag hangs from the second floor, and a car is parked in front of the building.
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Cactus Hotel lobby, detail of registration desk

Description: Close-up view of the registration desk in the lobby of the Cactus Hotel. It is made of carved and gilded wood, and has several cabinets above and below the desk portion. The Cactus was the fourth hotel built by Conrad Hilton, constructed in 1929.
Date: August 2, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info: