UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Inventory of county records, Stephens County Courthouse, Breckenridge, Texas

Description: Inventory of records of Stephens County housed in the Stephens County Courthouse in Breckenridge, Texas. Begins with an introduction and explanation of the roles of various county government offices. Describes the records of the County Clerk, District Clerk, County Attorney, Justice of the Peace, Tax Assessor-Collector, Sheriff, Treasurer, Auditor, and School Superintendent. Also provides an index.
Date: 1975
Creator: Sumners, Bill F.

Memorial - Texas Civil War Frontier Defense 1861 -1865

Description: Photograph of a Civil War memorial in Breckenridge, Texas. It reads: "Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (1861 - 1865). Texas made an all-out effort for the Confederacy after voting over 3 to 1 for secession. 90,000 troops, noted for mobility and heroic daring, fought on every battlefront. An important source of supply and gateway to foreign trade thru Mexico, Texas was the storehouse of the south. Camp Breckenridge and other posts on this line were backed by patrols of state rangers, organized militia, and citizens posses scouting from nearby "family forts". This was part of a 2000 mile frontier and coastline successfully defended by Texans."
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:

Stephens County Courthouse, Historic Plaque

Description: Stephens County Courthouse. Stephens County's first courthouse, erected in 1872, was a small pine building with desks for county officials lining the walls. In 1883, a new three-story red stone courthouse with a tower replaced the original structure. Discover of oil in Breckenridge in the 1920s resulted in a dramatic increase in population that led to the need for a larger courthouse and jail. Voters approved a bond in June 1924 to build a new courthouse and architect David S. Castle of Abilene designed the building constructed in 1926. Although not occupied until December 1926, a grand dedication ceremony was held here on July 4, 1926. The porch and sandstone entryway from teh 1883 courthouse were retained and are located at the southeast end of the square. During the depression of the 1930s, the courthouse became a financial burden and was refinanced. The last payment was made in 1962, thirty-six years after its completion. The four-story Stephens County Courthouse is a fine local example of the classical revival style and features limestone construction, arched entry doors and monumental primary entry stairs rising to triple arched entry doors, with ten columns above. (1997).
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.