UNT Libraries - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Hispania nova

Description: Relief shown pictorially. Prime meridian: Ferro.
Date: 1597
Creator: Wytfliet, Cornille
Item Type: Map

Historic Fort Stockton Visitor Center

Description: Photograph of the "Historic Fort Stockton Visitor Center," as declared by a sign on the front lawn. The building is small, and there is a car parked in the driveway to the right.
Date: August 3, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, 1905 Polk County Courthouse Annex

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque at 1905 Polk County Courthouse Annex. It reads: "1905 Courthouse Annex, Washington at Church Street, Built in 1905. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior."
Date: October 27, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic plaque - 45th Infantry Division at Camp Barkeley

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque detailing the exploits of the 45th Infantry Division at Camp Barkeley. It reads: "45th Infantry Division at Camp Barkeley. The 45th Infantry Division, comprised of National Guard units from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, was one of the first four division ordered into federal service by Congress' joint resolution in 1940. Initially stationed at Fort Sill in Oklahoma, the 45th was relocated to Camp Barkeley in early 1941. The "Thunderbirds" found Abilene's citizens welcoming, but Camp Barkeley was as yet little more than a tent city on undrained prairie. The new arrivals nicknamed their quarters "Camp Smokey Okie" and began rigorous training at once. In April 1942 the 45th was ordered to Fort Devens, Massachusetts. After another year of training in three more states they departed for North Africa and Sicily. World Was II took the 45th far from Taylor County. They saw fierce combat in Sicily, Italy, France, and Germany, culminating in the liberation of the concentration camp at Dachau in April 1945. After 511 days in combat and 3,650 men lost, the 45th infantry was one of the most distinguished military units of the war. Eight Congressional medals of honor were awarded to its members, who won the admiration of Allies and Axis powers alike. The division was released from active duty in November 1945. Hundreds of 45th infantry soldiers came back to Abilene to marry and make their homes, their love for the city recorded in their letters and their lives. The 45th was again called to active duty during the Korean conflict, suffering 834 casualties. One "Thunderbird" was posthumously awarded a Congressional medal of honor for his Korean service. (1998)"
Date: August 7, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Balinger

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads: "Ballinger originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Sante Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas Statesman, Veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish defenses of Galveston, served as Confederate receiver of enemy aliens' property, was sent to negotiate peace for Texas. Ballinger is County Seat, and farm-ranch center. INdustries include dairying, meat products, leather goods manufacturing. Has annual rodeo, livestock and quarterhorse shows. (1965)"
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic plaque, Birthplace of the SPJST

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque detailing the birth of the SPJST. It reads: "On December 28, 1896, twenty-five Czech-Texans gathered in the district courtroom of this courthouse to establish a new fraternal benefit insurance society, the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, more commonly known as the SPJST. The SPJST held its first convention in the same room on June 20, 1897. I. J. Gallia served as the society's first president and J. R. Kubena was the first secretary. The SPJST officially began its business in Texas on July 1, 1897. SPJST headquarters now is located in Temple. (1983)"
Date: October 7, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Brooke Smith, Brownwood

Description: Photograph of a historic marker about Brownwood citizen, Brooke Smith. It reads: "One of ten children, Brooke Smith was born in 1853 to Paulina Thilman (Doswell) and John Snelson Smith, Jr. in Hanover County, Virginia. The family moved to Indiana in 1860 and then to Waco, Texas ten years later. There, Brooke became a clerk at Lyons, Cohn & Co. and decided to move west and open his own store in 1876. Partnering with Sol Lyons and Otto Steffens, he opened a general store in Brownwood, then a frontier town. With no banks in the town, Smith and Steffens placed a large safe in their store where they kept their own funds, as well as financial deposits entrusted to them by area ranchers and farmers. The operation eventually became known as Pecan Valley Bank. Brooke Smith continued in the banking business, served as a school trustee and was elected Brownwood mayor in 1886. During his tenure, the city built its first water system and, in 1894, Smith solicited a survey for a dam at the site where Lake Brownwood would eventually be built. He contributed to both Howard Payne and Daniel Baker Colleges, serving as secretary-treasurer of the latter for many years. He also helped secure several rail lines into the town, thus insuring Brownwood's future growth, and was director of the Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railroad for 40 years. Smith and his wife, Juliet Logan (Sparks) (d. 1938), whom he wed in 1880, were charter members at St. John's Episcopal Church. The two, to whom four children were born, are buried in Greenleaf Cemetery and are remembered for their significant contributions in the development of Brownwood. In his honor, the city designated Carnegie Avenue, a major downtown thoroughfare, as the Brooke Smith Memorial Boulevard."
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic plaque - Callahan County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque about the Callahan County Courthouse. It reads: "Callahan County Courthouse. The county seat moved from Belle Plain to Baird in 1883, and a courthouse, designed by noted architect F. E. Ruffini, was built at this site. The county hired another noted architect, J. Riely Gordon, in 1900 for a larger courthouse; J. E. Flanders was the supervising architect. In 1928, the growing county hired Voelcker & Dixon Architects & Engineers of Wichita Falls, who designed this classical revival courthouse, completed the next year. Suggs and Dunlap Contractors constructed the building, which features intricate detailing, including acanthus leaves, rosettes, medallions and cartouches. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003."
Date: August 7, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Carnegie Library Building

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads: "Carnegie Library Building. A Cleburne Public Library was begun in 1901 under the direction of the local women's club. In 1902 members of the organization met with New York industrialist and benefactor Andrew S. Carnegie to secure funds for a building. His gift was matched by local contributions and this structure was completed in 1905. Featuring details of the Beaux Arts and Classical Revival styles and a second floor theater, it housed the library until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981."
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Cherokee County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads: "Cherokee County Courthouse. This courthouse, the fourth to serve the citizens of Cherokee County, was built in 1940-41 with the assistance of the Federal Works Progress Administration. Designed by the architectural firm of Gill and Bennett, the moderne structure is built of native red and white limestone and features a central block with two-and-one-half story wings. Large windows on its two primary facades and decorative art deco grillwork are also prominent. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1991."
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Cherokee Couny

Description: Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Cherokee County has a rich and varied history. Spanish and French explorers of the seventeenth century found Tejas and Hasinai Indians living in this area, and Spanish Missions were established in the region. Driven out of the United States, the Cherokee Indians migrated to this area about 1822, and were here at the time of the Anglo-American colonization in the 1820s and 1830s. Under the administration of Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar, the Cherokee were expelled from the area in 1839. Following formal creation of Cherokee County from Nacogdoches County in 1846, settlement of the area increased rapidly. Family farms and towns soon sprung up throughout the county. The building of roads and the advancement of railroads and river navigation contributed further to settlement. The chief economic base of the county from its beginning, agriculture remained a vital force as industrialization and business interests developed. The establishment of schools and churches formed the basis for the area's social history. Cherokee County has been the birthplace of two Texas Governors, one Governor of Wyoming, and one Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986."
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Colonel Isham Chisum

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads "Colonel Isham Chisum (1818-1884) One of the leading early citizens of Kaufman County. Represented the county in Texas Secession Convention, Jan. - March 1861. Later in 1861, he fought in Confederate Cavalry of Col. Tom Green in New Mexico campaign. As Colonel of 2nd Partisan Rangers, Walker's Division, fought at Mansfield and Pleasant Hill (La.), in Red River campaign to prevent a Federal invasion of Texas in 1864. A cousin of Jesse Chisholm, who pioneered famous Chisholm Cattle Trail, and of cattle baron John Simpson Chisum, Col. Chisum married Charlotte Martin. They have many descendants in Texas. (1971)"
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Courthouses of Palo Pinto County

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque about the courthouses of Palo Pinto County. It reads: "Palo Pinto County was created in 1856 and named for a creek south of here that was perhaps named by Spanish explorers of the Brazos River valley. The county seat of 320 acres was surveyed at its geographical center and was originally named Golconda. A court session in 1857 called for the first courthouse to be built of wood frame construction, with two doors and three windows. The contract was awarded to a bid of $300. Shortly after, in 1859, the town name was changed to Palo Pinto. In 1882, just after the Texas legislature allowed counties to issue bonds for new courthouses, a large sandstone structure was built. It cost $35,000 and exhibited second empire styling with a central clock tower. A two-story sandstone annex was added in 1906 and connected to the courthouse by an iron bridge. Sandstone for the buildings was quarried south of the city. In 1940 these buildings were demolished and a new courthouse was erected by Work Projects Administration workers. The reinforced-concrete structure featured subtle classical detail and was clad with some of the sandstone from the old buildings. It was completed in 1942 at a cost of $250,000. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986."
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

Historic Plaque, Courts Under the Oaks

Description: Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Courts Under the Oaks. Henderson County was established in 1846, the year after Texas was annexed by the United States. In 1850, after previous reductions in the county's original size, the present boundaries were set by the Texas Legislature. The restructuring resulted in the need for a new county seat, and the legislature appointed a Commissioners Court to select possible sites and to conduct an election that would determine the permanent seat of government. The voters chose the property of Matthew Cartwright, a prominent east Texas landowner, for the townsite of Athens in Samuel Huffer's survey for the new County seat. This site was set aside as the public square. Before a courthouse was constructed here, early district court sessions were conducted on the square under a large shady oak tree. The first district court term, held in October 1850, was presided over by Judge Oran M. Roberts, later a Texas Supreme Court Justice and Governor of the State. Cases he heard included charges of murder, larceny, gambling, defaulting jurors and assault and battery. Begun before the development of Athens, the Courts under the Oaks reflected the democratic goals and ideals of the Pioneer Settlers of Henderson County. (1982)"
Date: October 26, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info: