UNT Libraries Special Collections - Browse
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
- [Inez Evans North Texas State Normal College diploma]
- Diploma from North Texas State Normal College certifying that Inez Evans has completed the necessary coursework to earn a degree of Bachelor of Arts. At the top of the document is an illustration of the Texas Coat of Arms; a star of five points, encircled by a wreath of olive and live oak branches The Certificate is signed by President William Herschel Bruce and President of the Board of Regents M. O. Flowers. At the bottom of the diploma it is embossed with the North Texas State Normal College seal.
- [Nettie Williams North Texas Normal College diploma]
- Diploma from North Texas Normal College certifying that Nettie Williams has completed the necessary coursework in English to achieve certification. At the top of the document is an illustration of the Normal Building, which was the only school building at the time. At the bottom of the diploma it is embossed with the North Texas Normal College seal. The Certificate is signed by President of Faculty Menter Bradley Terrill, President of Trustees William A. Ponder, President of the Board of Regents Colonel Thomas Walter Abney, Secretary of Faculty J.A. Sanders, Secretary of the Board of Trustees H. F. Schweer, and the Secretary of the Board of Regents Honorable Alvin Clark Owsley.
- ["November 22, 1963" by Sarah T. Hughes, with Lyndon B. Johnson first day of issue cover]
- Typescript by United States District Judge Sarah T. Hughes recounting her experiences on November 22, 1963, following President John F. Kennedy's assassination in Dallas. Judge Hughes describes the scene aboard Air Force One at Love Field as she administered the presidential oath of office to Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson. She concludes by expressing her confidence in President Johnson's character and his ability to lead the country in the aftermath of the assassination. In addition to Judge Hughes's narrative, the first page of the typescript serves as a first day of issue cover of a United States postage stamp featuring Lyndon B. Johnson, first authorized for use on August 27, 1973. The postal frank on the first page, below the stamp, reads "AUSTIN, AUG. 27, 1973, TX" and "FIRST DAY OF ISSUE".
- [Speech by Sarah T. Hughes on being a female lawyer]
- Typescript of undated speech by Sarah T. Hughes discussing her experiences and people's expectations of her as a woman in the legal profession while practicing in Dallas. She gives her views on different aspects of the legal profession, including specialization, civil and criminal practice, winning and losing cases, and her enjoyment of appellate work and research in preparing cases on appeal. Before concluding the speech, Ms. Hughes describes her enjoyment of political participation via the legal profession. She also expresses her interest in campaigning for public office and entering politics in the future.
- Speech delivered by President Chilton
- Manuscript speech written by President Chilton and delivered to commemorate the opening of the Texas State Normal College and Teachers Training Institute in Denton, Texas. Page 2 of the speech is missing.
- [Texas Association Certificate]
- Certificate of shareholding in "The Texas Association." The text of the document states that the recipient of the document is entitled to one share of stock in "The Texas Association."