UNT Libraries Special Collections - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Tourists in Galveston]

Description: Photograph of tourists fishing and enjoying the water on a dock in Galveston, Texas.
Date: 1910
Creator: Williams, Byrd M. (Byrd Moore), Jr.
Item Type: Photograph

[Survey team]

Description: Photograph of members of the engineering survey team that traveled with Byrd Williams, Jr. as he helped survey the west for construction.
Date: 1912
Creator: Williams, Byrd M. (Byrd Moore), Jr.
Item Type: Photograph

[Neighborhood girl in El Paso]

Description: Photograph of Irene Biffle Williams, wife of Byrd Williams, Jr., hanging clothes to dry at their home in El Paso, Texas.
Date: 1912
Creator: Williams, Byrd M. (Byrd Moore), Jr.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Donkeys hauling water bottles]

Description: Photograph of two donkeys hauling water bottles in Juarez, Mexico. Byrd, Jr. took the photo while working just south of the Rio Grande River, and the water was presumably for the construction workers.
Date: 1915
Creator: Williams, Byrd M. (Byrd Moore), Jr.
Item Type: Photograph

[Portrait of Beulah Ann Harriss]

Description: Photograph of Beulah Ann Harriss in 1914. Beulah was the first physical education teacher at North Texas State Normal College. She is credited for launching Denton's Girl Scout movement.
Date: 1914
Item Type: Photograph

[Portrait of woman standing]

Description: Photograph of an unidentified woman in a long dark-colored dress standing next to a chair. Her left hand grasps the top of the chair while her right hand touches her hips. She wears a pearl necklace with a pendant and her hair is braided up with a brooch. Written on back: "Dedico este presente retrato a mi apreciable comadre Adelaida Cuellar - Rosebud, TX - Octobre 15 de 1913." ( *Translated from Spanish: I dedicate this portrait to my beloved friend Adelaida Cuellar - Rosebud, TX, October 15, 1913 )
Date: November 15, 1913
Item Type: Photograph

[Girls who roomed at Mrs. J.M. Brown's, c.1912]

Description: Photograph of a group of 14 young women seated and standing on the porch of the J.M. Brown house, Denton, Texas. Taken about 1912. It was common for students of the various higher education schools in Denton to live in boarding houses or with families around town. Photographic print mounted on card with embossed frame. Handwritten note on reverse: "Girls who roomed at Mrs. J.M. Brown's."
Date: 1912~
Item Type: Photograph

[Main Building, from the south]

Description: Photograph of the Main Building, also known as the Old Main building, photographed from the south east, from a height, most likely from the upper floor of what would be called the Historical Building. At the far left of the photo, just beside the building, can be seen a small horse-drawn cart, and near lower right of photo can be seen a gazebo. Students can be seen walking around the paths and going in and out of the building. The Main Building was constructed as the second permanent building of the North Texas State Normal College in 1904, and demolished in 1923. Photograph most likely taken between 1918 and 1922.
Date: 1913/1923
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Brownies basketball team group shot]

Description: Photograph of the 1911-1912 North Texas State Normal College Brownies basketball team. The all-women team is standing and sitting in rows, dressed in their uniforms. The woman standing in the center of the back row is holding a basketball with the word "Brownies" on it.
Date: [1911,1912]
Item Type: Photograph

[Car stuck in mud in front of Library Building, ca. 1913]

Description: Photograph of an open-top car stuck deep in the mud of Avenue A in front of the Library Building, at North Texas State Normal College. One wheel is jacked up, and the three visible wheels have chains for traction. In the background can be seen at left the main front (east) side of the Library Building, and to the right the Science Building. The Library Building was constructed in 1912-13 as the first Library on campus. After 1940 it was known as the Historical Building, and in 1990-91 was renamed the O.J. Curry Building. The Science Building was constructed in 1910, and remained in use until 1967, when it was torn down and the Language Building was constructed on the site.
Date: 1913~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[World War One Small Box Gas Mask]

Description: World War One-era "small box respirator" gas mask, consisting of a canvas or cloth face piece, with inset glass or resin eye lenses, and straps that wrap around the back of the head. The front of the mask has a valve located behind a cloth-covered tube that goes over the mouth and attaches to a small yellow metal box containing activated charcoal (made of peach pits or the pits from other stone fruits). The wearer would have breathed only through the mouth, inhaling air scrubbed clean by the charcoal in the box, and had their nose squeezed shut by a clip inside the mask.
Date: [1914..1918]

[Students at NTSNC]

Description: Photograph of a group of students at North Texas State Normal College. The image has writing on it that reads: NTSNC March 30, 1914 Kaffe und Brot Waren.
Date: March 30, 1914
Item Type: Photograph

[Manual Arts Building, Exterior]

Description: Photograph of the Manual Arts Building for industrial arts. The two story brick building was built in 1914. The image shows bushes crowding the entrance, and power lines crossing across the sky. In 1974, the building was demolished.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph

[Manual Arts Building, Exterior]

Description: Photograph of the Manual Arts Building for industrial arts. The two story brick building was built in 1914. The image shows bushes crowding the entrance, and power lines crossing across the sky. In 1974, the building was demolished.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph

[Manual Arts Building, Exterior]

Description: Photograph of the Manual Arts Building for industrial arts. The three story brick building was built in 1914. In 1974, the building was demolished.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph

[Manual Arts Building, Exterior]

Description: Photograph of the Manual Arts Building for industrial arts. The three story brick building was built in 1914. Two students can be seen outside the structure. In 1974, the building was demolished.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph

[Manual Arts Building, Exterior]

Description: Photograph of the Manual Arts Building for industrial arts. The two story brick building was built in 1914. The image shows bushes crowding the entrance, and power lines crossing across the sky. In 1974, the building was demolished.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph

[Worker at Manual Arts Building]

Description: Photograph of a worker using a hammer to put a hole in the wall of the Manual Arts Building. This photograph was taken when the building was being razed.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph

[Manual Arts Building, Exterior]

Description: Photograph of the Manual Arts Building for industrial arts. The two story brick building was built in 1914. The image shows several cars on the street, as well as a woman ascending the front steps. In 1974, the building was demolished.
Date: [1914..1974]
Item Type: Photograph