UNT Libraries Special Collections - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Normal Building]

Description: Photograph of the Normal Building at North Texas State Normal College in Denton. Constructed in 1891, this was the first building on campus. In 1907, it was demolished. Students can be seen gathered outside in this image.
Date: [1891..1907]

[Students standing on the steps of the Normal Building]

Description: Photograph of students posing on the steps of the Normal Building. Built in 1891, the Normal Building was the first building built on the North Texas Normal College campus, on what is now the corner of Oak and Avenue B. In 1907, the building was struck by lightning and destroyed. The photograph shows the front entrance stairs of the building, with two women and a man seated on the ground in front, and a group of 46 men and women standing on the stairs. Photograph taken between 1891 and 1907.
Date: 1891/1907
Location Info:

[Students and faculty, Spring 1896, North Texas Normal College]

Description: Photograph of students, faculty, and others posed along the south side of the Normal Building, North Texas Normal College, Spring 1896. The 69 men and women are seated or standing outside, while 11(?) are hanging out of or looking out of windows in the background. Photographic print mounted on card backing. Handwritten notes on reverse: "Mrs. Will M. Smith Frisco Tex. Spring of 1896", "312" and "Class 1896". The group is posed against the Normal Building, constructed in 1891 as the first permanent building on the NT campus. It stood until being struck by lightning in 1907, when it burned to the ground.
Date: Spring 1896
Location Info:

[Students and Faculty in front of the Normal Building, ca. 1896-1897]

Description: Photograph of students and faculty of the North Texas Normal College, 1891-98. Men, women, and children are seated and standing and sitting before the front entrance of the Normal Building, some on the steps, and some in the window looking out. The first and second men seated at far left are tentatively identified as (1) Jesse A. Sanders, Treasurer, and instructor of mathematics and bookkeeping, and (2) Menter B. Terrill, President, and instructor of Pedagogy, Psychology, Ethics and Logic. Photographic print mounted on card backing. Handwritten notation at lower right of mount: "The School Group about May 1897 or '98". Reverse of mount with offset image from another photograph, and handwritten note "Class 1897 or 1898". The Normal Building was constructed in 1891 as the first permanent building on the NT campus, and served until 1907 when it was struck by lightning and burned.
Date: 1897/1898
Location Info:

[Group of women at a boarding house, c.1900]

Description: Photograph of a group of women sitting in front of an unidentified boarding house ca. 1900. The 30 women sit or stand in rows outside in front of the porch, while a single bearded elderly man stands at back to left. It was common for students of the various higher education schools in Denton to live in boarding houses or with families around town, and many students from the then North Texas State Normal College lived in boarding houses. Photographic image mounted on stiff backing. Inscribed on reverse: "Boarding House".
Date: 1900~

[Group of women on the porch of a boarding house, ca. 1900]

Description: Photograph of fifteen women in front of an unidentified boarding house ca. 1900. The women are in two groups, one of 12 women sitting and standing in rows on the porch, while three more stand in a line on the other side of a pair of columns. It was common for students of the various higher education schools in Denton to live in boarding houses or with families around town, and many students from the then North Texas State Normal College lived in boarding houses. Photographic print mounted on card backing.
Date: 1900~

[Men and women on the steps of the Normal Building, ca. 1900]

Description: Photograph of a group of men and women standing and sitting on the front steps of the Normal Building of the NT campus, ca. 1900. The 29 men and women are well dressed, posed in rows for the photographer. Photograph print mounted on card backing, with decorative border around image. Several handwritten notes on reverse: "Ask Roland Green", "A.B. Tyson", and "Class, undated". The Normal Building was constructed as the first permanent structure on the campus of the North Texas Normal College in 1891. Between 1897 and 1902, a wooden porch/awning was added to the front entrance, the posts of which are visible in this photo. The Normal was stuck by lightning and burned down in 1907, by which time NT had become the North Texas State Normal College.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:

[Chemistry Class, Spring 1900, North Texas State Normal College]

Description: Photograph of the Chemistry Class, Spring 1900, of the North Texas State Normal College. 9 young women and 7 young men are seen sitting and standing in a classroom, around a table, on which rest a number of pieces of scientific equipment. All wear aprons. Photographic print mounted on card backing. Handwritten notation below photo "The Chemistry Class 1900 - [Spring]". Reverse of mount with several handwritten notes: "Chemistry Class 1900 North Texas Normal College"; "Y873", and "Chemistry students, 1900"; The reverse also has a typed label "Chemistry Class 1900 North Texas Normal College", with handwritten notation "3 col [illeg] zinc halftone".
Date: Spring 1900

[Kendall-Bruce Literary Society]

Description: Photograph of a display card commemorating the founding of the Kendall Bruce Literary Society, ca. 1901. The card features the KB logo in each corner and oval portraits of J.S. Kendall, AM and W.H. Bruce, Ph.D. Between the portraits is the text: "Kendall-Bruce Literary Society Organized Saturday September 30, 1901. Named in honor of J.S. Kendall and W.H.Bruce first President and Vice President of the North Texas State Normal. Nulla Dies Sine Linea." Below text is artist's/photographer's stamp: "Executed by Shaw and Hargrove, Denton, Tex." Photographic print mounted on gray card mount. Mount embossed at lower right with photographer's stamp: "Shaw & Hargrove, Denton, Tex." Reverse of mount with faint transfer from another photograph image, and handwritten notation "St. 7.96-5". The Kendall-Bruce Literary Society was founded September 30, 1901, and named after Joel Sutton Kendall and William H. Bruce, who would each serve as President of North Texas State Normal College, and had been "beloved teachers". The name of the society was changed in 1908/1909 to the Robert E. Lee Literary Society at the request of then President Bruce.
Date: 1901