UNT Libraries Special Collections - 5 Matching Results

Search Results

[Normal Building from the south]

Description: Photograph of the Normal Building from the south side. The photograph shows an unidentified male driving a small horse-drawn wagon, with a second, younger unidentified man standing behind. Photographic print on mount. On reverse of mount is extensive handwritten note with list of professors and courses: "Annie Webb Blanton Eng, Hauslein, Latin, Dr. Bruce, Geometry, Sanders, Penmanship, Match [Math], Borden, Physics, Mrs. Lewis Geography, Long, Biology, Physiology, Mrs. More, Algebra, & Composition, Mrs. Simpkins [Simkins] Art, Mrs. Emma Mitchell, A. History, J.S. Kendall President. Sessions 1901 & 1902 1902 & 1903 Hickory street". The Normal Building was the first permanent building on the campus of the Texas Normal College and Teachers Training Institute, built in 1891. It occupied the site about at the corner of Hickory and Avenue B. In 1907, the Normal building burned down following a lightning strike. At that time, the institution was known as the North Texas State Normal College.
Date: 1903~
Location Info:

[Menter Bradley Terrill]

Description: Photograph of Menter Bradley Terrill, who was president of North Texas Normal College/North Texas State Normal College from 1894 to 1901. Terrill is shown bust-length, in a dark suit and tie. Photographic print mounted on card backing. Signed on front of mount "Davis". Applied to front of mount is a typed rectangular label: "Menter B. Terrill (1894-1901)". Handwritten notes on reverse: "Photograph taken in 1903, two years after Mr. Terrill was President of the Normal."; "M.B. Terrill as Pres of Denton Normal"; "2 2I 7 & 4 s-I Denton"; "SI 253-3", and with stamp of photographer: "P.G. Davis Pottstown, PA."
Date: 1903
Creator: Davis, P.G.

[Normal Building and Frame Building, 1903]

Description: Photograph of part of the North Texas State Normal College campus, showing (right) the Frame Building and (left) The Normal Building, c. 1903, set among trees. Photographic image mounted on gray card backing. Handwritten caption on lower margin of photograph: "North Texas State Normal as it was in 1902-3". Handwritten notation on right margin of photograph: "College of Vera Churchill". Reverse with handwritten notes: "From Alice Potter, Jan. 10, 1903, To Vera Churchill, North Texas State Normal School, Denton, Texas" and "84.12.1". Considered the first permanent and the second buildings built on campus, the Normal Building was constructed in 1891, and was struck by lightning and destroyed in 1907. The Frame Building was constructed in 1901 to provide extra space for an auditorium and classes, and was torn down about 1904 to make way for what would become known as the Old Main Building. The buildings were located facing Hickory Street, east of Avenue B.
Date: 1903
Location Info:

[Junior Class, 1902-03, North Texas State Normal College]

Description: Photograph of the Junior Class, 1902-1903, North Texas State Normal College, on the steps of the Normal Building. The photograph shows 45 men and women on and in front of the main steps of the Normal Building, two men looking through a window, and one at far right at the back watching. Man standing on steps near center of photo, holding hat, may be J.S. Kendall, President. Some may be other instructors. Photographic print mounted on card support. Handwritten caption at bottom margin of photograph: "Junior Class 1902-3 N.T.S.N.C.", with a crossed-out notation along right margin. The Normal Building was the first permanent building on the NT campus, constructed in 1891 at the corner of Hickory and Avenue B, and in use until struck by lightning and burned down in 1907.
Date: 1903
Location Info: