Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Ross Drug Store -- 800 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Owned by Ross family who purchased from Mr. Pennington in 1911. Ulric Ross started work in drug store when he was 12 years old. Two story handmade brick with basement, original sign in window of gold gilt, original windows and doors; front cut stone.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Galindo Home -- 102 West Pafford Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Home of Galindo family who operated attached beauty shop on corner of Main Street (former Schunke home 1896). Wood building painted white with tin roof.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Taini Home - SE Corner Main and Ney Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. John Taini, Italian stonemason, built this one story Spanish-Italian cut rock home with its original windows and doors, fountain, and fence in 1889. Home with tin roof owned by Mrs. Theo Ramirez in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Bob Burdett Grocery -- Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1928 of brick to serve as a grocery store for Bob Burdett (reportedly a general in Pancho Villa's army). Used as an appliance store in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Perry Store (Whitehead Memorial Museum) -- 1400 block of South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Perry Store was built by John Perry in 1873 as general store and stage stop on road from San Antonio to El Paso. Reported built by Mexican Indians, two story, stacked flint rock walls 18 inches thick with cypress ceilings, original doors and windows. Wood came from Victoria by ox cart. A Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. In 1976 it is anchor for Whitehead Memorial Museum (still is in 2008).
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Salvatierra Home - a - Wallen Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1875 of lumber; well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 when he first came to Del Rio.)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Salvatierra Home - b - Wallen Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1975 of lumber, well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 whe he first came to Del Rio.)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Louis Brauer Home - a - 306 Nicholson]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe construction with plaster exterior. (See b photo) Built by Dr. Jackson in 1885. Mr. Brauer was one of the first surveyors in Del Rio in 1881.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Louis Brauer Home - b - 306 Nicholson]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe construction with plaster exterior. Built by Dr. Jackson in 1885. Mr. Brauer was one of the first surveyors in Del Rio in 1881.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - a - 123 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - b - 123 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - a - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - b - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Julius Franki Home - a - 500 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Julius Franki Home - b - 500 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Cassinelli Gin House - a - NE Corner Academy and Pecan Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Cassinelli was a partner with Italian stonemason John Taini and built this two story rock and brick building in 1904. At one time this was a cotton gin, a store, and later Dr. Garrett's home. In 1976 the vacant building was owned by Mr. Billings. It is a Texas Recorded Historical Landmark and is listed on the National Register.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Cassinelli Gin House - b - NE Corner of Academy and Pecan Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Cassinelli was a partner with Italian stonemason John Taini and built this two story rock and brick building in 1904. At one time this was a cotton gin, a store, and later Dr. Garrett's home. In 1976 the vacant building was owned by Mr. Billings. It is a Texas Recorded Historical Landmark and is listed on the National Register.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Wolff House - 806 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story wood building faced along lower level with old brick recovered from a grist mill built by Mr. Wolff about 1886. Owned by Jack Hill in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tom Pafford Home - 709 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe building covered by wood paneling built by Tom Pafford around 1868. Pafford was one of the five men who began the San Felipe Agricultural Manufacturing Irrigation Company.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tagliabue Store - 609 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. This adobe building with 18 inch walls is reportedly the "seventh house built in Del Rio" about 1873 -- the store was added later. Charlie Tagliabue owned in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph