Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - a - 123 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - b - 123 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - a - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - b - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Julius Franki Home - a - 500 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Julius Franki Home - b - 500 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Cassinelli Gin House - a - NE Corner Academy and Pecan Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Cassinelli was a partner with Italian stonemason John Taini and built this two story rock and brick building in 1904. At one time this was a cotton gin, a store, and later Dr. Garrett's home. In 1976 the vacant building was owned by Mr. Billings. It is a Texas Recorded Historical Landmark and is listed on the National Register.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Cassinelli Gin House - b - NE Corner of Academy and Pecan Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Cassinelli was a partner with Italian stonemason John Taini and built this two story rock and brick building in 1904. At one time this was a cotton gin, a store, and later Dr. Garrett's home. In 1976 the vacant building was owned by Mr. Billings. It is a Texas Recorded Historical Landmark and is listed on the National Register.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Wolff House - 806 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story wood building faced along lower level with old brick recovered from a grist mill built by Mr. Wolff about 1886. Owned by Jack Hill in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tom Pafford Home - 709 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe building covered by wood paneling built by Tom Pafford around 1868. Pafford was one of the five men who began the San Felipe Agricultural Manufacturing Irrigation Company.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tagliabue Store - 609 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. This adobe building with 18 inch walls is reportedly the "seventh house built in Del Rio" about 1873 -- the store was added later. Charlie Tagliabue owned in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tagliabue Home - 609 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. This adobe building with 18 inch walls is reportedly the "seventh house built in Del Rio" about 1873 -- the store was added later. Charlie Tagliabue owned in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Cadena Blacksmith Shop - 112 Canal Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Hernan Cadena built and began his blacksmith shop in the 1890s and later provided service to the new automobiles. Owned by Hernan Cadena Jr. in 1976. Still standing as is in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Val Verde County Jail - a - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Val Verde County Jail - b - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[John Doak Home - 313 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by John Taini in 1906 as a home for rancher John Doak. One story cut rock with gingerbread trim and rock pillows of solid pieces of stone. In 1976 it is Arturo Gonzalez' law office; he is still there in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Yates Hotel - 204 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by Mr. Yates and Eagle Pass Lumber Company about 1900 as Yates Hotel. Reportedly used by Dr. John R. Brinkley for hospital patients. In 1976 is Schubert Hotel owned by Dick Schubert.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Patton Home - Greenwood Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe house with 18 inch walls built in 1880s. Reportedly Hal Patten came to Del Rio with Mr. Borroum and had a horse-and-buggy taxi.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph