Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Walton Building - a - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Appears this building is attached to Tom Payne Building and reportedly built as a store in 1922; operated as a store by owner Gordon Walton in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tom Payne Building - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Tin building altered from original construction reportedly sometime between 1885-1900; orginally used as a store; used as a store by Gordon Walton in 1976. (other side of alley for Price Lumber Building)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[F. C. Blaine Home -- Broadway Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly home built by F. C. Blaine in the 1880s who sold it to Mr. Ware (who had built the "Opera House" in 1886, later known as "Rita Theatre" and later as "Paul Poag Theatre"); First Church of Christ Scientist owned home at time of photo. Later note on survey says the building was "destroyed 1978."
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built as a grocery store; served as "western" store at time of photo.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Del Rio News Herald - Corner Main and Broadway Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly the building originally housed a bakery, restaurant, and print shop during the early 20th century. The Del Rio News Herald covered the original facade to look more modern. At turn of 21st century, The Herald restaurant restored the building to its original look.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Federal Building - Corner of Main and Broadway]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by the United States government in 1915-16, this Italian Renaissance structure originally housed the Post Office as well as the Federal Court system; c. 1995 it became the Val Verde County Judicial Center.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Charles Miller home - 112 West Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly Charles Miller came to Del Rio with the Southern Pacific Railroad as a painter, built one of the first hotels in town, and served as Justice of the Peace; house built by John Taini.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph